Frozen Barclays account—demanding repayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Barclays have frozen my personal and business accounts and are demanding repayment in full. I'm overdrawn £1,765 on my personal account. The overdraft limit is £1,600, with a £150 buffer.

The business is no longer in operation. That account has no overdraft limit but somehow I've arrived at £1,700 overdrawn in that as well.

I have no other bank account and my credit rating is already dreadful as a result of other, ongoing debt problems. I doubt I'd be able to get another account, unless there's a very willing bank out there somewhere.

I'm currently only working in a voluntary capacity. I've had mental health problems and I really don't feel as though I could hold a job down (much as I'm sure the benefits people would disagree). I don't claim any benefits at all. I've been told that I'd be unlikely to get any as my husband is American and I haven't paid national insurance for a few years. We have no income and I'm living off my parents.

I really can't see a way out of this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give.

Hi Lhollo,

You should make it a priority to open another bank a/c so you have ongoing banking facilities. If you Google search the term "basic bank accounts" there are many links.

Here's a guide from MSE's site - http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts&sa=U&ei=V8HzTtXjOoSu8QP78t2tAQ&ved=0CAYQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHima-hYmZO10YyyIDKczB2KQxeeQ

1. Re the Barclays personal a/c, how long have you had this account open with them.

2. How much of the balance is made up of default fees.

3. Re the Business a/c, how long has this been open.

4. How much of this balance is default fees.

Were you a sole trader with the a/c named as Lhollo t/a your business name. Or was the business a/c in your own name only.

Regarding your general situation and lack of income, I suggest you start a thread in the Benefits forum to discuss this - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?160-Benefits-Tax-Credits-and-Minimum-Wage

You should provide some background info about your situation as a carer, whether you receive anything as a carer, whether you are or have been signed-on as seeking employment or signed-off for health reasons, etc.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 4 weeks later...