• Tweets

• I have got an  independent expert report which clearly states it is a manufacturing fault, which DFS have been made aware of. My point is that as a huge retailer of leather sofas with leather peeling  being a common complaint to me it seems evident they are aware it is a manufacturing fault on their side. Yet they play games with customers and worse of all try their level best to get the customer to believe that it is their fault due to oils or creams they are using. Even if one is to believe that every day creams etc can cause this damage then in any event the sofas are not fit for purpose. Surely they are merely playing a numbers game banking on the fact that most complainants will not follow through with legal action. Yet what about the anguish and distress they cause to customers in the process. To me this shows alot of contempt towards consumers and is clearly unethical.
    • I would if I could tobyjugg  Did the same run today over an hour quicker than yesterday, thats what happens when you know where to go and not just try finding places with the postcode as I was yesterday
    • Thank you, @lookinforinfo. I have updated the VCS v Ward case as below:   VCS v Ward     1.       This case is often quoted by the claimant as assisting their case. However, in this instance it actually assists mine. It is contended that the act of stopping a vehicle does not amount to parking. This predatory operation pays no regard to the byelaws at all. It is likely that this Claimant may try to rely upon two 'trophy case' wins, namely VCS v Crutchley and/or VCS v Ward, neither of which were at an Airport location, which is not 'relevant land'. The airport land is subject to the Airport Byelaws as specified in 'Section 63' of the Airports Act 1986 [EXHIBIT A]. Both cases involve flawed reasoning, and the Courts were wrongly steered by this Claimant's representative; there are worrying errors in law within those cases, such as an irrelevant reliance upon the completely different Supreme Court case. These are certainly not the persuasive decisions that this Claimant may suggest.   63 Airport byelaws. (2) Any such byelaws may, in particular, include byelaws— (d) for regulating vehicular traffic anywhere within the airport, except on roads within the airport to which the road traffic enactments apply, and in particular (with that exception) for imposing speed limits on vehicles within the airport and for restricting or regulating the parking of vehicles or their use for any purpose or in any manner specified in the byelaws;
    • Savers opening its Digital Regular Saver this month and adding between £1 and £50 in April, May and June will qualify. There will be ten prizes of £1,000 each. You can earn 3 per cent on the first £1,000. View the full article
    • Would you want your bank to know how many steps you've walked today or whether you got around to going for your weekly jog? But what if it was promising you vouchers or cash as a reward. View the full article
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Selling Handmade Goods

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3365 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

This probably isn't the right place to put this but I wasn't sure where to start.

My mum has a number of knitting patterns and she makes the characters (for example her latest one is a nativity set). She wanted to try & sell these, not necessarily for loads of profit but to cover her costs to let her carry on making this.

She emailed one of the publishers of one of the patterns and they have told her that she can’t because of copyright. Are they allowed to stop her from doing this? Are there anyways around it? Would some other pattern printers allow her to do what she wants with the characters once they are made up?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks!

I've seen loads of those sort of things on Ebay - I can't imagine why she shouldn't be able to sell the items.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Because I don't know how to knit it's difficult to comment.

If I buy a wooly jumper and sell it, the jumper manufacturer can't stop me I don't think, even if I buy and sell thousands.

If you buy wool, and knit it into something else, then it's yours to do with as you please. You are adding value to their product and selling it on.

It's nothing like buying something wholesale and then selling it,

Nor is it anything like taking a material and making just anything.

In fact, if they were just taking wool, following their own pattern and selling it that'd be perfectly fine to sell.

It's because the characters created in the patterns and the designs belong to the publisher. and are copyrighted.

If she were knitting a Mickey Mouse you, you wouldn't even think twice about asking the question. it's be so obviously illegal to sell someone else's design (either knitted, or tracing a picture and selling it as art.) why should it be different for a generic thing like a wise man? (no, you can't copyright wise man toy, just as story writers can't copyright boy meets girl plots. but you can copyright the specific work. and derivatives, I.e if I make a pattern of a wise man toy, I'm fully within my rights to stop you using that pattern to create toys for your profit.)

Yes they can stop you, and they do stop you.

I can't find it now but I recall a thread on a different forum where someone had bought an electronic embroidery machine, and a card of winnie the pooh patters, they proceeded to make and sell winnie the pooh embroidered hanker chiefs, which seemed like a brilliant idea until they were sent cease and desist notices for copyright infringement.

The patterns are provided, (much like the license granted when you buy a CD) for you to use that CD for your own enjoyment, or to give as a gift. or in this case to follow the pattern to create items for yourself, or to give as gifts.

you're not allowed to copy and sell copies (of CD's or the knitting patterns). and you can't follow the designs to make products for sale without permission of the rights holder of the pattern...

The only thing that I really have to suggest is. (as someone who can knit myself)...

Why not search the internet for a pattern that's provided without limitations? many patterns do exist that are provided on-line for free and people are allowed to "do what they like" with what they create following the patterns. (including sell). -that's either patterns that are out of copyright, or that people have created specifically to be shared without limitations.

the other alternative would of course be to just create your own patterns, (that sounds harder than it actually is -it's actually quite simple to create patterns.)

if you just didn't care about what they said, then go ahead and sell, wait for either a cease and desist type notice, or wait until the designer does try to take action against you.