Need help with debts

liggy0
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ive recently been put on benefit JSA 67.50 per week my problem is i had catalogues with jd williams, marisota, simply be and premier man and had never missed a payment for about 12 to 14 months the debt is about 1000.00 on each so i contacted them to inform them of my change in circumstances and that i was struggling to make payment then i recieved a call from reliable collections so i also informed them of my circumstances and even though i could barely afford it i offered to make a payment of 5.00 per month on each catalogue until things changed and i could then continue my normal payments but this was refused flat and they informed me that the minimum payment on each was 41.00 which only covers the interest if this was not met then a charge of 12.00 per month would also be added to my accounts how do they expect me to make these payments on benefits so obviously ive refused to pay this as i dont have it, what can i do to get these sharks off my back please advise as im losing my sense of humour.

i will apply for a CCA for each account like you suggest i mentioned the interest and charges to them and asked them could they put a hold on them as from now and they told me theres no chance of that happening so i said i would be reclaiming them back but she started getting nasty on the phone so i just put the phone down .

after i made an offer to pay 5.00 per month off each of my 4 catalogue debts which was refused i have now written to reliable collection and home shopping direct asking them to put a hold on the accounts for a period of 6 months when we can look at my circumstances again also they must stop adding interest and charges at this time ive also sent in a copy of my incoming and outgoings listing everything and that i will not be making any payments during this period to any debtors at all by recorded delivery and im also keeping all documentation and detailing all phone call times and dates as advised, as i took these catalogues out online is it worth me asking for a CCA request also i have been making payments for twelve months acknowledging the debts can you advise me on my next step as i know my request will obviously be refused by them help please.

If you took these out online and it was post 2007 then they will more than likely be CCA compliant.

Forget any notion of offering them £5 a month for each catalogue, these are non priority debts, these come at the very very bottom of your list of things to pay, your social life even comes before non priority debts, so your only offer of payment is £1 a month on each catalogue, you don't need them to agree, you tell them what you will be paying and they can whistle Dixie, they do not have any say so in the matter.

I take it you have their bank details already? If so, then set up a standing order NOT a direct debit, and pay them £1 each, every month.

Any charges they have added on can be reclaimed, let them add the £12 a month charge, you won't have to pay it, keep everything in writing, and start of with a letter with your offer of payment to each of the catalogues, wait for their response, and then start paying via standing order.

You do NOT need to send them an I&E form, unless YOU want to? This personal private information can only be requested and viewed by a Judge, all these clowns will do with it is ridicule it and laugh at how much money you have to live on.

Keep a diary of events, and keep all of their letters, especially those they send refusing your very generous offer of payment, keep the envelopes also, and when sending them offers of payment you can send it 2nd class post but obtain "Proof of Posting" from the PO counter, this is free.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Liggy0,

Regarding Boo's post above - he's entirely right. The letter I send (I'm in the same financial predicament as you) seems to have worked so far. This would be my suggestion:

By Royal Mail Recorded Delivery

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account Ref: 123456780

With regards to my current “repayment agreement” with you, I am in a position to be able to offer you no more than £1 per calendar month.

I own no property, have no savings or appreciable assets and rely on Job Seekers’ Allowance as my sole source of income.

I quote the Department of Work & Pensions, who state:

“You will be paid the sum of £67.50 per week, which is the legal minimum on which the Government believes you need to live on.”

During telephone calls, your staff have erroneously asserted that I am obliged to provide you with a personal statement of income/expenditure in order to put a repayment plan into place.

I have been advised that this 'personal' information is just that - personal.

However, following the insistence of your staff and their claims that an income/expenditure statement is a requirement regarding this matter, I have obtained a Court orientated Income and Expenditure Form, to which, only a Court and/or Judge can legally have access, and filled in the details required therein.

Following the revelations about my financial status that completing this form brought to light, I would like to thank you and your staff for pointing me in the right direction regarding my rights.

From this information, it is obvious that I currently have no disposable income whatsoever.

It has been suggested that, following discovery of this situation, a County Court Judge would, in all probability, order that I can afford no more that £1 per month to each and all creditors, which of course includes you.

Therefore, I would formally request that you supply me with the relevant information/documents necessary for me to set up a standing order to continue paying instalments towards the amount owing on the above account at a token rate of £1 per calendar month.

Please note that I have no intention of avoiding any legally and fairly claimed payments on the above account, but I firmly believe that my offer of repayment is appropriate, considering my current circumstances. Should these circumstances change, I will, of course, notify you as soon as possible to arrange repayment at a higher monthly amount.

Yours faithfully,

Don't sign it, just print your name.

Hope that helps.

H. x

• 1 month later...

can anybody help please i have 3 catalogue debts simply be , marisota and jd williams contacted them and told them been put on jsa 67.50 per week and can not pay original agreed payments, could they accept 5.00 per month until my circumstances change NO, so having taken advice on here i started to send a payment of goodwill 1.00 each month anyway its been 2 months now, also i wrote to them asking could they put my accounts on hold for a period of twelve months or until things change and stop any interest and charges NO, i have now just recieved a letter from each saying charges and interest will still be added until agreement is made but they have refused all of my efforts, also with each letter is a credit agreement saying this is a TRUE COPY can you sign and date then return i open these accounts about 14 to 16 months ago online what should i do why are they asking me to sign the credit agreements now can you help please.

Have you got their refusal to accept your offer, in writing? If so good....keep EVERYTHING in writing.

Sign and return NOTHING, any letter you send them should also NOT be signed but your name PRINTED.

Continue to make the payments of £1 a month, if you are making it via direct debit, then you need to stop this immediately and begin making payment via standing order.

As long as you make the token payment of £1 a month then there is absolutely nothing any of them can do, keep a very close eye on the amount of charges they are adding, and I will be very very surprised if you haven't already incurred late payment charges in the past, or fees of some kind, so work out exactly what you owe, and what is charges, you can then either demand their charges be refunded, OR simply pay what you owe or goods purchased.

NO PHONE, everything in writing only.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!