• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Natwest PPI...Where do I start?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I am pretty clueless with PPI claims so any advice at all would be appreciated right now :sad:

Basics

- personal loan with my bank (Natwest) took out for 2k, (2001)

increased to 6k, (2002)

then finally in 2003 increased to 10k.

Always paid the loan until recently (missed 2 payments).

Since taking out the loan I have been out of work on 3 occasions,

the first through choice but then through sickness and then compulsory redundancy.

I enquired at my local branch about PPI in 2007, then again in 2010 (to be sure) I was told I did NOT have insurance.

But I do!

After missing a payment this November, they attempted to take 2 payments at once, both my accounts were emptied and closed on Saturday.

I phoned the bank who told me I have insurance on my loan and gave me a number to call.

Phoned yesterday and yes I have been paying PPI on a 10k loan since 2003.

They have had 16k off me so far, outstanding less than 3 grand.

The guy said I could make a claim (because I'm out of work until Feb) and would send me the paperwork...

but...I'm paying somewhere between 6 and 7k for this insurance..

....and I have only just found out I have it!

I asked for my agreement in 2010 when I needed it for my divorce..

..they said they didn't have it, and

twice they have told me point blank that I do not have this PPI.

I'm annoyed and want to know if there's any chance I can get this back?

I checked Natwest's site and they have a direct number to register a complaint.

...I can't get through as it's busy, but is this the best way to go?

How difficult is this process going to be and where do I start?

Sorry if I've babbled on,

I'm unbelievably stressed out at the moment,

got tax credits demanding money for overpayments,

an old catalogue has failed to send a CCA,

carphone warehouse are taking money out of my account every 3 months for insurance on nothing (I'm not with them)

and I have a credit card in arrears :!:

things are spiralling it's impacting on my health and I really want to get control back :-(

Any help at all would be gladly recieved...I am working my way through the sticky's too

Ally x

Hit the scales, you know you want to :p

Firstly, get the written confirmation that you have PPI.

Secondly, you need to decide whether you want the benefit of the policy or if you want your money back.

Then we can help you

I'm having a further read of your story, will get back to you soon

Hi

Have a read of No.1 in my signature concernoing single premium PPI on loans.

If you haven't got the agreements and/or loan account statements, I would SAR the lender. Template is in the CAG library, the link to which is at the top of every CAG page in green. The cost is £10 and they will have 40 days to comply.

Put a line in your SAR request that you want copies of all loan agreements you have or have held with them.

When you get the SAR information back you can work out what your claim amount is.

Also go to the fos website and download their consumer questionnaire ready for completion and while you're there have a read of the case study PDFs.

ims

Have you got evidence that you asked about the PPI previously and they told you that you didn't have it?

Hi, thanks for all the replies

Unfortunately I do not have proof that I asked about PPI as I did this in person not in writing :(

I'll get the SAR sent off, just spoke to a friend who has used a company to claim the money back for her, but they charge a 25% fee

I have no paperwork for this loan at all anymore, although they have said (yesterday) that I definately have the insurance, I do not have it in writing yet :(

Ally x

I've just had a chat with one of my colleagues on the site team.

We think that there is a way we could provide you with some direct help and move it all on rather more quickly for you

than you might otherwise manage on your own or through normal channels.

Would you mind sending me an email on our admin address.

Could you include a phone number - preferably a landline number and put your username in the subject line.

The we can have a talk and clear uip a few more questions and see if there is a good way forward.

Ta

• 3 months later...

Hi, just an update as just had another missed call from Natwest/Triton :(

Natwest have not complied with my SAR,

they received this on the 5th Jan but have so far only sent proof that I have been paying PPI on two of the loans I took with them.

They have not sent any credit agreements as they no longer have them, and no statements for any of my accounts.

They have restricted my access to my accounts and are asking that I pay the overdraft and loan balance.

They are using the right to offset on my accounts,

which only have a small amount of money still being paid in each month (35)

I have transfered everything else into a new account.

I have sent a letter to Natwest reminding them that they have not complied with the SAR and have asked them to comply within 14 days.

I've had one letter from Triton re the overdraft and loan and they have been phoning me for about a week.

Natwest really have made my life unbelievably difficult and frankly I'd love to be a huge pain in their backside,

but on a serious note what do I do now apart from wait until they comply with the SAR?

I am not making the usual payments to the loan now and am slightly worried about this :(

As ever any thoughts appreciated

Ally

• 2 weeks later...

Help!

Still nothing further from my SAR to Natwest but Triton credit services are sending letters thick and fast and calling non stop as they want me to pay back my student account overdraft and remaining loan balances

Can anyone suggest what I should put in a letter to Triton? I intend to attempt claiming back PPI on 3 Natwest loans and a whole mass of charges, which would hopefully more than cover what I owe them

Natwest are using my child support at the moment as it is being paid into my student account weekly. Should I attempt to set up a payment plan with them or wait for the SAR? I really can't afford much at the moment having already fallen into mortgage arrears

I feel physically sick this is really worrying me :(

Ally x

Hi Ally,

Your Child Support is for your children and not the bank. You should make urgent complaints to the bank's Head Office, and phone the FOS, to complain about this.

See here about your right of appropriation - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?36790-Is-the-bank-taking-your-Benefits&p=289030&viewfull=1#post289030 You can adapt the letter to specify amounts taken by the bank on certain dates and demand that you be refunded.

The bank should have replied to your SAR ages ago so you should make a formal complaint to the ICO about the bank's failures.

There's also further help here about you suffering Financial Difficulty - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?557-Letter-for-an-application-for-consideration-for-hardship

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

thanks for your reply Slick,

I stopped the child support payments going to them, transferred everything to a new account.

I haven't made any complaints yet,

sent the usual letters asking for full sar,

but 6 months on and still waiting for statements

so I can work out PPI and charges.

They sent a few bits of information relating to the loans, told me the rest would follow, but it didn't. :(

Would it be a good idea to complain to this guy [email protected] ?

I spoke to an ex bank employee who told me I should get a response the same day if I email a lengthy complaint?

Has anyone else tried this?

I have no objections complaining to the ICO or whoever else, but would that interfere or cause further delays if I intend to take natwest to court?

many thanks

Ally

My own personal Rule No.1 - Keep all complaints as short, simple and concise as you can !

If someone sends you a 3 or 4 page letter, it can look like the endless ramblings of a madman. At least that's how I feel when I see a long post here on CAG

By all means, complain to the HO but keep it short and punchy. And, rather than explain everything paragraph by paragraph, enclose a separate list showing date and event, eg :-

2/4/12 - Spoke to Cust'r Relations about getting PPI data. No help but they said wait another 3 weeks for reply.

8/4/12 - Child Benefit paid into a/c but unable to access it as used to off set to loan a/c no. xxxxxxxx.

If they have still not supplied your SAR data, make a formal complaint to the ICO immediately. You've already let them get away with this far too long.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 1 year later...

Finally an update of sorts!

Following my complaint to theICO,

they have 'investigated' and asked Natwest to send the rest of my data,

I have an email from them explaining Natwest's excuse,

and the excuse in letter form from the bank,

along with the rest of my statements for the SAR I sent them in Jan 2012.

Statements go back to 1994, but hardly any documents relating to the loans I have had with them, just a few printouts,

no agreements,

no terms & conditions,

no info relating to the PPI, except a printout with how much the policies were worth.

As it has taken almost 2 years to get these statements, I understand it might be too late to request charges are refunded? Unless I can prove hardship?

I have just become aware though of the the BCOBS and COBS and would actually like to sue the bank for breach of statutory duty or breach of contract....

if anyone has any advice at this point, it would be appreciated.... :)

I will keep updating when I've read up a bit on taking banks to court :)

Kat

Hi Allykat,

You need to go through the SAR data carefully looking for details of all PPI payments and of any penalty charges made to any loan accounts or credit cards. PPI and penalty charges should still be reclaimable.

Please remember that a SAR will not produce credit agreements, etc. It is a request for DATA that the bank holds about you - not necessarily documents.

Can you identify PPI payments or penalty charges from the statement data.

Or maybe the PPI was front-loaded on the loans. Is there any info to clarify this.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay, thanks for the responses too,

I've worked out the PPI, it was front loaded. I've looked but can't find charges added to the loan, all the charges are on my accounts only.

I have written to them to request they refund the PPI and also have asked them for a refund on some of the charges added to my accounts, but they have written back basically saying go away if you aren't happy go to the FOS.

I am now considering my next steps

kat xx

Hi Ally,

Did you send them a spreadsheet showing how you calculated the amount of PPI that you want refunded.

No I didn't send a spreadsheet :s

I wrote to the chief exec's department with my concerns,

which included complaints about the PPI,

the excessive charges/penalty fees,

the six DCA's Natwest have chasing the outstanding loan balance (which is made up of all PPI),

the hardship their actions caused when they closed my accounts

and the fact they are in default still with the SAR and have admittedly lost all the paperwork regarding the loans.

In their reply to me they claim the address I am writing from was not on their records,

(they have been writing to me at this address since I moved here 6 years ago,

and then they deny that the ICO have been involved,

(even though they have acknowledged this in another letter)

and of course the complaint leaflet was enclosed :/

Is it worth asking again?

Including a spreadsheet?

To be honest, I just feel like they have been ignoring me for the last 2 years,

it doesn't look like they are about to take notice now either.

I actually want to take them to court, but reading around a bit there are alot of people advising against court action in relation to PPI :(

Court action for PPI is not necessarily a good choice as it put the onus wholly on you to prove your case to the judge's satisfaction.

I think you may have muddied the waters by complaining about everything in one Massive Complaint.

Send a spreadsheet saying this is what you calculate you are owed and you require this to be refunded. That leaves little room for debate, apart from the amount.

The other problem is that sometimes bank staff aren't capable or willing to handle the various facets of the whole complaint.

The KISS principle is often the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

I did as suggested and just asked for PPI with the relevant department. They didn't respond at all so I emailed the Head Office person who said their letter was the Bank's final response and told me to contact the DCA who they say now have my accounts! Or complain to the FOS.

The remaining SAR documents were meant to have been sent on to me in October, according to the ICO, but they are still arriving in dribs and drabs....! Head Office still insist that the ICO have never been involved and say I should just pay the DCA. I have pointed out that the amount they say I owe is mostly PPI which I have requested back, but they don't want to know :(

Should I do the FOS route or small claims? This saga has been going on for 2 years or more.

Any advice surely appreciated!

Kat x

Hi Ally,

As the easiest complaint to make is for PPI, take this to the FOS immediately which you can because the bank have given you their "final response" already.

I would make a further brief complaint to the ICO saying, firstly you are still awaiting the banks full SAR response (tell them what you think is still missing) and they are only supply data in dribs and drabs, and secondly the bank even denies the ICO have been involved at all despite clear evidence to the contrary.

• Confused 1

Thank you again Slick :)

I will contact the FOS on Monday about the PPI, but after looking through the latest SAR documents I'm a little disturbed to find that they are now claiming that I have already been refunded over £4,000 in PPI to my "customer account" in December 2012....

Unfortunately, they had closed my accounts at the beginning of 2012 so this would be impossible! Unless they have refunded themselves? Plus, the balance of the outstanding loan has not decreased so the PPI is still on there!

I really believe that they are just making stuff up now, but I will forward the info on to the ICO because it's not the first discrepancy I have come across in the SAR docs.

Onwards I go! Hopefully the ICO will take action against them this time

Kat x