HMRC on strike today??

surfergirl02
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, first time using this site, not sure if I have posted in the wrong section, couldn't find another which was more appropriate.

I received a letter from HMRC today, was a bit confused as to what it meant exactly, so I tried to ring them to find out, but there's an automated voice message saying that due to industrial action today, my call cannot be taken - wasn't the strike on 30th Nov?

The letter either means I'm due a refund or that I owe them over £1000 - I'm a stay at home mum and can't afford to pay it back! It goes back to 2006/07 and 2007/08 tax years when I was working.

Has anyone else had problems speaking to them; I've tried the tax credits and child benefit lines and they are all the same?

Just checked their Union website, it appears that there is industrial action today in HMRC

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

The letter either means I'm due a refund or that I owe them over £1000 - I'm a stay at home mum and can't afford to pay it back! It goes back to 2006/07 and 2007/08 tax years when I was working.

Hi Surfergirl,

I had the same problem with a tax demand for £2500 but my accountant sorted it out.

You should read the letter carefully, and check which tax year the demand relates to. The law states that, in cases where you have provided them with sufficient information to properly work out your tax code, HMRC must present a demand no later than 12 months after the end of the tax year in which that information was given.Many taxpayers, however, are receiving demands that relate to bills much older than this. If you are confident you have provided HMRC with the information they need, and the demand is outside the time limit, you may not have to pay it.

http://www.moneyexpertise.co.uk/hmrc-underpaid-tax-what-do.html

Hope that helps

Thanks

Scrapper Coco :cool:

"I just want to make people silky-smooth!"

Scrapper vs MBNA Partial Settlement Success. Saved £13,000 :lol:

Scrapper vs Barclays Bank Plc PPI Reclaim Success £5,500 :lol:

Scrapper vs Barclaycard Partial Settlement Success. Saved £6,000 :lol:

Scrapper vs Tesco's FOS upheld complaint. Possible court action to get default removed

Scrapper vs Egg (Barclaycard) Awaiting FOS

Scrapper vs Barclays Bank Plc Offered made & Refused. This means war :-x

Scrapper vs Barclaycard (Cabot) Waiting 4 years for CCA. Cabot advised irresolvable :lol:

Scrapper vs Intelligent Finance. Success

Scrapper vs Picture (Webb Resolutions) Success

Beginner's guide

Advice & opinions given by Scrapper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.