Going back on housing benefit

jadeybags
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Not been here for months. Been a busy bee & had a not bad year, but it's a sign of the times that all good things come to an end & I will probably have to reclaim housing benefit.

I cancelled my housing benefit back in feb when it came to light that I had been over paid by 1600 including C/T, had an interview under caution, no furhter action, I took a loan, paid them back, cancelled my claim in a strop, upped my hours at work, budgetted, started selling items I made as a hobby online & have been doing ok. I even dropped my employed work hours back down to 16 a week after 3 or 4 months as the hobby was paying off for me & I needed the time to do that.

But sales have slowed right down & I am just about paying the rent & council tax now.

I'm single, 2 kids, work 16 hours a week, bring home 430 every 4 weeks, 166 a week work & child tax credits, 270 a month CSA payments & 130 a month child benefit. And if I am lucky now 50/100 a month with the hobby.

Anyway, went on the benefits calculator for my local council & was amazed to see I would only have to pay 17 a week towards my rent & 5 towards C/T if I stop the hobby.

Has something changed this year? Or have I done something wrong on the calculator? I thought I would have to pay more myself?And the main thing I need help with is the fear of them messing my claim up again, I don't think I could go through that again.

How easy would it be for me to claim housing benefit again? And where do I go to get it checked that they have done it right?

Those calculators may only be approximate. Your CSA money is completely ignored and there's a disregard for some money you bring home.

Did you put in the rate for your area or what you pay?

Yes I used the Turn2us calculator, then found my local councils one & they both came out the same. I am just finding it a bit strange that they will pay that much, because I am sure it wasn't that much when they redid my claim back in feb. And I am back to getting the exact same amount coming in as I did then. Oh, actually, thinking about it, my tax credits went down by 10 pounds a week, no idea why as when I upped my hours at work in march, they told me it wouldn't make any difference to tax credits as it was under 10k a year more? Anyway, I was back down to 16 hours a week after about 4 months.

Just wondered if anything had changed during this year in how they work it out.