• Tweets

• Thank you for such a swift and helpful response.   Please can you direct me to a template letter, if such exists, which I may doctor to suit my initial letter of claim to each service provider, in order that I might beat the 29th deadline?
    • The ppi deadline is 29th of August. frankly I don't think it makes any difference if you do it yourself or you use an agency except that if you use an agency then you will pay a lot of money from anything which you recover. my suggestion is that you contact every possible lender you have ever dealt with or bank and write them a letter and claim PPI. even if you are not completely certain that PPI was paid, write the letter and tell them that you believe that PPI was paid and that you want it reclaimed. This should bring you into the 29th of August deadline and then you can start dealing with it in a more careful and methodical way and of course we will be very pleased to help you. make sure you put everything in writing and make sure that you send everything signed for post so that you have a clear record that the claim was delivered before the deadline. if you make any phone calls then make sure that you have first of all read our customer services guide and implemented the advice there but the best thing to do is to get everything off in writing.          
    • Clear as mud...so you are the claimant...the defendant is correct they do not file serve evidence before the trial...normally directions state 14 days before the trial hearing each party simultaneously exchange and file.   The defendant then paid the debt amount but not the court fee or the section 69 interest at 8%.. Did it get to trial ? or is that yet to happen ? 
    • Then be prepared to get your cheque book out.   You will be served with the evidence the prosecution intends to rely on to convict you when you receive notification of court action. This will almost certainly be in the form of a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" (SJPN). They have six months to begin court proceedings and in most areas take all of that. You will be given three options:   1. Plead guilty and have the matter heard by the Single Justice (a hearing which you cannot attend).   2. Plead guilty and opt for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court (a hearing which you can attend).   3. Plead Not Guilty.   If, after viewing the evidence, you decide on (1) or (2) you will be sentenced in accordance with the sentencing guidelines. These suggest a fine of half a week's net income (maximum £1,000, reduced by a third for a guilty plea). You will also pay a surcharge of 10% of the fine (Minimum £30 - or £32 if the offence was committed on or after 28th June 2019) and costs of £85. You will also receive 3 penalty points. So you can see that the costs and surcharge will exceed £100 before you consider the fine.   If you choose (3) you will have to rely on either (a) the prosecution being unable to prove its case or (b) successfully rebutting their evidence. The cost of failure here is high. You will obviously lose your one third discount for a guilty plea and the costs will increase to as much as £620.   You can see that you "old fashioned" approach could cost you dearly. But you takes your choice and pays your money  😪  (or hopefully not  😀).
    • I was not aware that mitigation can also apply to actions taken after the event. I have not outlined this to date, I will write another letter stating this given I now use a monthly travel card and would never attempt it again. However, the Court date is in 10 days so I'm not sure I would receive a response in time.. seems to be worth a try though.    Thank you dx100uk. 
  • Our picks

lucille84

When to send Statue Barred letter Scotland

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1455 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have recently received letters from several debt collection agencies regarding supposed debts I owe, I live in Scotland (always have) and I am seeking some advice on several points below:I received a letter to my home for a debt of over £1300 from one DCA and a letter for an almost identical amount was sent to my parents house for me (I have not lived there for many years but did live there when the accounts would have been opened) from a different DCA - can 2 DCA's be handling the same debt at the same time?I have previously been advised any debts taken out at this time would have been statute barred and I have planned on sending the template statue barred letter about this but am unsure whether I should as, although the letters are the typical scary red final demand letters, there has been no further action - should I send the letters now or wait to see how this progresses?I also receive letters going back several months from another company about a credit card debt for £350 however have received ridiculous letters from them stating that will write off the debt if I pay £64! - should I also ignore these or send the letter, seems they are desperate to get something and they might already know the debt is statue barred?I have used 2 CRA sites for about 2 years, my credit file is clean, I have a credit card which is up to date since May 2010, a mobile phone contract and all other bills/contracts up to date - surely any debts requiring final demand letters would show up on this?Lastly, I noticed that one of the DCA I received a letter from do not appear to be on the Consumer Credit Register - are they legit?Any advice would be greatly appreciated so I know how to progress.

If it was me.....and i was sure it was over 5 years - i would send them now .....if anything just to get them closed off.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks Ida,I am pretty certain that the last communication through a debt repayment company would have been in late 2006, i can not find any documentation after then.Can you help advise on any of the other points?

Hi,

These debts will be Statute Barred but until you inform the DCA's they will continue to harrass you into paying something, regarding two DCA's chasing the same debt, for all you know it's more than likely the same company with a different hat on.

Like Ida I would send the Stat Barred Letter and see what they come back with.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks for your help.I am about to send the letters however the situation has become a little strange with me receiving another unusual letter.It is addressed to an old flat mate (referred to as C) and me, however I have not spoken to this person since we gave up our old flat in Feb 2008. The letter states that a DCA is looking to contact us but does not specify why. The problem I have here is that this C had the bills in her name, I can not think which would have been in both our names. Before I and a 3rd flatmate (who I still speak to) left, we gave the balance of all outstanding bills to C, trusting she would pay them as they were in her name.My worry is that there is no way for me to prove this and that she has in fact not paid those bills. If I communicate in any way with this DCA, will I end up being responsible for anything which she has not paid - as in essence, she will have stolen that money from myself and the 3rd flatmate.I also recall at the flat I lived after moving out (C had never lived there) we received letters addressed to her, I assume regarding debt - she clearly gave DCA's my new address as her own!There is no way I can trace C to find out, and I doubt she would admit to theft! What can I do?

Hi,

Who is the DCA chasing the debt in joint names, were you up to date with your Council Tax at the old flat ?

The DCA is called BPO. Letter says they are looking to contact the named people on the letter but no further details about the debt.I believed that all the bills for that flat were paid, including council tax. Due to the set up in the flat (which was unconventional, shall we say!) the council tax was in C's name - no bills at that flat were in my name, as far as i remember. I am worried she has contacted one of the utility companies/council tax when we moved and added my name, but i don't know how she can without my consent/signature.

Looks like BPO collect for Virgin Media and Mobile companies, can you recall any debts with either ?

There was only freeview tv in that flat and no phoneline/internet connection. At the time i had a PAYG phone and believe that C also did.I have never had any sort of cable/digital TV or internet services at any property i have lived in, and have my mobile phone contract up date date, has been since i first got it with Vodafone a few years ago.

I'd ignore BPO until they send something worth reading, let us know if you receive any more letters from any of the DCA's.

staute barr debt, if you think they are then dont confirm DPA make any payment or admit the debt, talk to them about a aledged debt, but do not admit liability !

Here is an update on the situation regarding the original debts.

I sent off the draft statute barred letters and have received a response from one of the DCA's, however this response was again posted back to my parents house even though i sent my current address on the top of the letter - could i say i have not received this as i have provided my address, which they have not updated on their system, to which they should send any reponses? They have said that the debt is not statute barred as last payment was in Feb 07 however i do not recall this being the case, and have now demanded payment in full (despite the last letter offering a reduced settlement sum). As i have not addmited the debt, can i demand they prove the debt and the payment history as i do not know exactly what the debt is for ( i think it is a store card but they have not named this specifically), i certainly do not recall anything for this amount ( i am assuming interest has been added)?

I am now worried that the other DCA come back with the same thing for the other letter i have sent. I am really concerned about this as i am getting married soon so all of my money is accounted for, i really can not afford to be paying out anything on top of what i already pay!

Hello there, you can certainly demand evidence of how the payment was made, and where. If they cannot prove it then they cannot rely on the statement that payment was made on that date.

Thanks sequenci.

What is the best way for me to do this, is there a draft letter available? I do not want to start with phone calls to these people as i can imagine this might make things worse.

Also, i recall reading something about a company having to provide the original agreement with my signature within a given time frame, and without this i can argue the debt does not exist, is this true?

Any help is appreciated.

Hi, as Sequenci has said they have to prove you owe any monies they claim you do, there is a letter in this link you can send them................

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Send it recorded and let us know how they reply, it really does sound like they are chancing their arm I would'nt worry, sounds like they know it's stat barred.

Do not phone them.

Thanks maroondevo52.I am a little concerned about sending the letter as I think I do know what the debt is; could I cause myself more trouble by denying this then, if they prove the debt exists, I acknowledge it?Also, is this letter applicable in Scotland (i have noticed there are different letters for Scotland & England).

Hi,

Yes that letter is fine to use in Scotland, you say you know what the debt is if you could tell us we may be able to advise you about claiming back charges ect, if it's not Statute barred.

That letter is only asking them to prove the debt exists in no way are you acknowledging it.

Thanks, the letters were sent today.One is for a loan with Egg and the other is a store card.I would rather that they were statue barred than look to claim any charges, however anything would be of help!

So i sent the second letter to both companies on 16th Jan. Have heard nothing from Lewis however CapQuest have again sent a letter to my parents address (despite me writing my coorect address on the previous 2 letters i sent them!) now saying that they are now making arrangements for a door visit from ScotCall to that address due to my failure to make a repayment arrangement. To say i am furious is an understatement!They have not acknowledged the last letter i sent asking them to prove the debt and i do not want people turning up at my parents door1 - Should i call and tell them that they have been provided the correct address and that the current tennants at the address they wrote to have been instructed to call the police if someone turns up? 2 - Should i also tell them that i will only communicate with them through writing and once they have responded to the previous letter?3 - Can i also mention complaints to ombudsmen etc.?I need to contact by 31st January (tomorrow) so answers to these qustions are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:Spoke to NDL who advised that i can now make complaint to FO and OFT due to the actions of CapQuest. Called them, passed from pillar to post, finnaly spoke to someone in compliance about the address issue which she would look in to and update, been told no further action on account as on hold. She also advised that their admin team were in contact with the original company to get copy of original agreement. I have asked this be posted to me. If they get this it proves there was a debt, but if they can not provide proof of last payment, can i still claim statute barred and refuse to pay? (They claim last payment was 9/2/07 so is SB on 9/2/12).

Hi, do you know which debt Capquest are saying your last payment on the 9:2:07 was ?

Hi, they are saying it is for a store card i think, states it is Clydesdal Financial (can not remember exactly and do not have the letter to hand). The amount they want is £1300 but i never had anything with a value of over £500, asumming the majority of it is interest.

So an update on one of the DCA's above. After communicating with CapQuest using the statute barred letters, they have now sent a copy of the original agreement and a copy of payments made showing the last one in Feb 2007, asking me to contact them about how i am going to settle this account. As 5 years have passed since the last payment and i have still not akcnowledge the debt,can anyone advise what i should write to them, as surely this is statue barred and they cannot enforce payments??

Tell them that the debt is extinguished, it no longer is in existence and that they need to close their file and leave you alone. Ask or them to also provide you with a copy of their complaints procedure.

Hope it does the trick!

Hi,

The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 clearly states that the the debt MUST be acknowledged by you, not by any action (other than court action) on the part of the creditor.

If this debt is Satute Barred it is a breach of the OFT guidance to continue to ask you for payment, the emphasis is on the DCA / Creditor to prove the debt is enforceable, and not for you to prove it isn't, as they have sent you proof your last payment was in Feb 2007 they don't have a leg to stand on.

If a debt is statute barred in Scotland then it is also extinguished. It clearly states this on the updated OFT guidelines for debt collection.

They cannot continue to contact you about a debt that no longer exists.

You could try sending them one final reminder..........................

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No: _____________________________

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 Part 1 Prescription Section 6:

“If after an appropriate date, an obligation (an appropriate debt) has subsided for a continuous period of five years:

(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and

(b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged;

then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished...”

I/we would also point out that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:

“It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The legal requirement for the debt to remain in the required period is:

(a) my/our written acknowledgement of the debt, or

(b) any payment that I/we have made in that relevant period.

No other form of acknowledgement is construed in law to be acknowledgement and to infer that any other form is in itself in breach of the law and the Debt Collection Guidance, having taken advice, should you ignore this letter, I/we will be making a formal complaint against your company, followed by a referral to the OFT for breach of the collection guidelines.

Further, as the last written acknowledgement/payment of this debt was made over five years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Part 1 Section 6 of the above Act, I/we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:

“continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment”.

I/we await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully