• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advantage Finance - HP Car failed after 1yrs - still paying - HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

as for the charges.......

they are an unlawful PENALTY charge

and do not meet the FSA rules /guidelines & should be refunded

the do not reflect the true cost of the relevent 'admin' action.

where they are or are not in their T&C makes no odds,

that does not give any creditor permission to levy unlawful PENALTY charges which do no reflect true costs.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was a legnthy read that didnt provide me with anything..

what's the next step?

I cant contest the charges any further with the company as there statement is a basicly shut up and accept it, and the MBI & GAP I really dont know, what to say or do.

I cant go back to the palce I bought the car from as its now a Hand Car Wash!!

don give up, write back on both issues

keep it short and simple basically what i have written

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So:

Thank you for your letters recieved 18/06/2012, your comments have been noted.

Following on I have further points to these:MBI & GAP:

1) All documentation was sent to the Show Room, not my home address of which I was contacted to attend and sign

this did not provide myself with adequate time as the sales advisor stated that there was a time frame to get all documentation back to yourselves to approve the finance,

if I did not sign the finance offer would not be granted and I would loose my deposit

- Please provide proof (inc postage if you disagree.)

2) No representative from Advantage was present when documents were signed.

Charges on the account:

3) From my understanding you are stating that your Terms and conditions override any descion made by the FSA, is this correct?

4) You state a Tracing Agent was used despite you regularly making contact with myself at my address.

5) Please provide the details of the company you used to initiate the trace and evidence of fee incurred,

if you feel my request is inadequate please state so, and I will proceed in an appliction for Subject Access Request of my details of all information you hold on myself.

6) You state that you do not charge for Credit Refrence Agency searches, please explain as to why my file was searched by Advantange the same dates as the £100 charges.

7) As indicated before the Charges are an unlawful PENALTY charge and do not meet the FSA rules /guidelines

& therefore should be refunded as they do not reflect the true cost of the relevent 'admin' action and that where they are or are not in their T&C makes no odds,

as this does not give any creditor permission to levy unlawful PENALTY charges which do no reflect true costs.

8) You state that the letter recieved is the final response in dealing with my query regarding the charges,

please confirm that this is still the case so I can make further submission of my complaint ot the relevant governing bodies.

Hows that???

nice

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Yet to send my reply (the above post) as been away.

I returned on the 28th and received a phone call (from the guy named in the attached letter) telling me that my agreed payment of £20 has not been made..

I proceeded to tell them that I was not making a further payment until the issues on the account was resolved

and that everything is to be done in writing,

he asked me what my issues was as they have responded and feel that the matter is now satisfied !!..

Well today I recieved the attached.

I'm not happy with this as it makes me feel like they think I am stupid (even though there grammer is poor!) with the line

"if your not satisfied that you respond accordingly"

but in the next line "any response should not restate and issues that we have already issued"

its like hes saying yeah feel free to respond but please dont bring up anything we've already discussed like the account in general

- does he want me to write and discuss the weather??

- that being said doesnt it contradict the previous response with them saying that the matter is now closed?

I'm so confused on this, do I just send what I was going to send them originally or add something else.

Oh and before I forget, it was this guy that has called previously and then a search of my credit file is done and charges applied.[ATTACH=CONFIG]36470[/ATTACH]

i dont know whether or not this is of use to you

but i had a simillar problem about 12 yrs ago with waggon finnance ....

i bought a car on hp with a rac warranty breakdown cover.

after about 2 wks car broke down needed new alternator which got fixed under warranty no probs

.then about another month the water pump went which again warranty paid for.

. after having veichle for about 9mths the car develobed a problem

they call black death were in tod the head gasket went and all my piston rings were knackered etc ..

,i got a quote to sort it all out which was about 1200 pounds which i didnt have .

.at the time i was self employed and used my veichle for work so hence wasnt working so couldnt afford the payments..

the warranty was refusing to pay out on an exclusion of wear and tear ...

they then asked for me to pay half at 600 pounds to get a reconditioned engine put in

..my aggument was that would totally de value the car as well as i still owed over 3000 grand on the veichle

and i wasnt expecting to have this on a veichle which was supposedly inspected by the rac

and also the finnance company that the veichle was fit for purposeoo...

so i had stopped paying the finance and about 4mths later they come to reposses it

.i said ther you go its there on the drive but youy will need a tow truck as it is knackered

...so they went about two days later i got a phone call to meet at waggon finances office.

at the meeting i had exsplained what had happend to said veichle and the warranty wasnt worth the paper it was printed on and the veichle was not fit for purpose.

so instead of going through the courts and all the expense

i gave the car back and all the remaining balance on the hp and the fees etc were all wiped

as though i never had the veichle.

although i jhad lost out on 5 payments of 139 pounds it was a great weight and headache lifted..hope this may help u of some sort ..

i dont know wether or not this is of use to you but i had a simillar problem about 12 yrs ago with waggon finnance .... i bought a car on hp witha rac warranty breakdown cover.after about 2 wks car broke down neded new alternator which got fixed under warranty no probs .then about another mth then water pump went which again warranty paid for.. after having veichle for about 9mths the car develobed a problem they call black death were in tod the head gasket went and all my piston rings were knackered etc ..,i got a quote to sort it all out which was about 1200 pounds which i didnt have ..at the time i was self employed and used my veichle for work so hence wasnt working so couldnt afford the payments.. the warranty was refusing to pay out on an exclusion of wear and tear ... they then asked for me to pay half at 600 pounds to get a reconditioned engine put in ..my aggument was that would totally de value the car as well as i still owed over 3000 grand on the veichle and i wasnt expecting to have this on a veichle which was supposedly inspected by the rac and also the finnance company that the veichle was fit for purposeoo... so i had stopped paying the finance and about 4mths later they come to reposses it .i said ther you go its there on the drive but youy will need a tow truck as it is knackered ...so they went about two days later i got a phone call to meet at waggon finances office. at the meeting i had exsplained what had happend to said veichle and the warranty wasnt worth the paper it was printed on and the veichle was not fit for purpose. so instead of going through the courts and all the expense i gave the car back and all the remaining balance on the hp and the fees etc were all wiped as though i never had the veichle.although i jhad lost out on 5 payments of 139 pounds it was a great weight and headache lifted..hope this may help u of some sort ..

Cool, unfortunately I dont have the car - they gave me permission to scrap it, so i did

Yet to send my reply (the above post) as been away.

I returned on the 28th and received a phone call (from the guy named in the attached letter) telling me that my agreed payment of £20 has not been made..

I proceeded to tell them that I was not making a further payment until the issues on the account was resolved

and that everything is to be done in writing,

he asked me what my issues was as they have responded and feel that the matter is now satisfied !!..

Well today I recieved the attached.

I'm not happy with this as it makes me feel like they think I am stupid (even though there grammer is poor!) with the line

"if your not satisfied that you respond accordingly"

but in the next line "any response should not restate and issues that we have already issued"

its like hes saying yeah feel free to respond but please dont bring up anything we've already discussed like the account in general

- does he want me to write and discuss the weather??

- that being said doesnt it contradict the previous response with them saying that the matter is now closed?

I'm so confused on this, do I just send what I was going to send them originally or add something else.

Oh and before I forget, it was this guy that has called previously and then a search of my credit file is done and charges applied.[ATTACH=CONFIG]36470[/ATTACH]

yes!

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36727[/ATTACH]

Hi all,

I've recieved two letters from Advantage regarding my letter sent in post #79.

Ive only just noticed that the MBI complaint is being handled by Complience but the query about charges is being delt with by an account manager. Surely that can not be right.

Oh and this is the guy that I set up all the arrangements with when I went out of work.

I like his comment pointing out that I must of been at work due to me returning at 5:30... I was on a sodding course, am I not alowed to tell my mother what time I will be back for. For all he could of known that was a time I had arranged for an appointment or to be picked up.. pathetic.

Phone all just recieved from Advatage.

They are trying to get me to pay the £20's that I havent paid to bring everything uptodate and also pay this months £20 aswell. Pointed out that I still have a dispute with them to which they have said all disputes have now been resolved! ((They really dont allowyou time to read the documentation they send do they)

Why are you talking to them on the phone? Are you recording your calls?

Whatever they want to say can be committed in writing otherwise all they are spouting are lies.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Luckly i have got a litte App on my phone that I can record..

On this occasion they rang from a witheld number, normally Its one of the ones stored in my phone so i dont answer..

Seeing as they've put their "final response" what much more can i do?

Thats a complaint in itself, ringing from a withheld number, and then you went through their security! Are you 100% sure it was them?

FSA next then, if these have run out of things to say.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Really sorry I havent been on had another stints in and out of hospital

BUT the good news is Im now finally on the mend & will be looking to go back to employment soon!!!!

I have yet to send anything to the FSA due to the stints in hospital.

I've had a few emails from Advantage about giving them updates etc..

Last one I received they were prepared to refund ALL charged (but not MBI&GAP)

if I upped the payments (that I havent made for a while) from £20 to £100

told them it wasnt possible and I am going to take my complaint further

- the chap asked what did I want to achieve from it and I said as per origanl complaint the removal of all charges and MBI/GAP.... no further response.

reason for my post,

I was just looking over the HP Agreement again - and I just want to check something out as I think there is a mistake (does a mistake Void the agreement?)

From the details in post #19

(http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?329067-Advantage-Finance-HP-Car-failed-after-1yrs-still-paying-HELP&p=3635188&viewfull=1#post3635188)

it shows the HP Agreement details.

Now under the agreement of goods part it states:

"Amount of Credit (A-D) £2825.00 (E)"

"(A)" is Total Cash Price of the Car which is £2895.00 less "(D)" is the Advance cash payment of £70.

Then it states: Total Amount Payable (D+E+I) £5646.20

"(D)" the Advance cash payment of £70 plus "(E)" the Amount of Credit £2825.00 plus "(I)" the Charge for Credit £2751.20

The point I am trying to get at is that surely

"Total Amount Payable" should be £5576.20

as they are adding back on the Advance Payment (Deposit was to the Garage not to Advantage) of £70 "(D)" ?

Also as it was a Vehicle Purchase should the value of VAT have been declared?

check the T&C's

dx

and they

• 4 weeks later...

The Option Fee is for me to purchase the Car once the HP Agreement ended. (sorry for delay I requested everything from them and it arrived today)

Now they told me I could scrap the car so is the Option Fee still Valid.

I'm completing the FSO Complaint form today. Looking at the form it seems to just ask me what am I complaining about (MBI/GAP & Charges) and what I want them to do about it (remove all) is that just it or do I need to basically write out what I've mentioned on here (miss sold by guy in the dealership etc) and include charges & interest.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Over the weekend a one of the Royal Mail "Our sincere appologies " transparent bags ended up coming through my door.

Inside was a tore open envelope (with my "if goes missing return to" sticker on the back) and torn parts of the FSO complaint form - none of the supporting doc's had made it through. Its only took about 3-4 weeks to get back to me!

I promptly emailed Advantage the following:

Darren,

Sorry I have not been in contact since my last message.

Today I received a damaged letter, which turned out to be the remains of my FOS form less the documents I had included.

Therefore could you please provide me with a sort code and account number to pay £20 into on Friday (also include the reference number you wish me to use), whilst I collate all docs again for submission.

Regards

This afternoon I received the following:

Please can you contact Darren at Advantage Finance on 01472 586341 regarding the account that you hold with us reference number situated above.

Although we can appreciate the previous difficulties that you have had on the account there is still a remaining balance that we would need to discuss. WE WILL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO DISCUSS ANY OFFER MADE but need you to contact us on 01472 586341 as soon as this email has been received.

Kind regards

Darren Young

Specialist Collection Manager, Advantage Finance Ltd

yes the email had the bold and underlined as per this post.

my reply is as follows:

Darren,

I hope you would appreciate that I would like everything in writing hence my email to you yesterday.

I would like to pay £20 on Friday as indicated in yesterdays email, but I am not prepared to pay or set up an arrangement via debit card, hence my request for an account number / sort code and also reference number relating to my account.

Regards

The guy knows everything in writing as he's mentioned it before.. Im concerned as to why he wont accept the token payment (same as what I was paying before).

Seeing as they previously have said they would scrap and repay all the charges on the account if I paid £100 a month would this go in my favour with the FSO, I've also been contacted today out the blue about reclaiming the GAP and MBI on the car, the company even quoted the Licence plate number!!

so they've done some investigating on the gap etc me thinks.

i'd stick by your guns

you are NOT prepared to discuss any matters via the phone.

you are under strict instructions following advice given by the FOS regarding this account

and your complaint to them regarding reclaiming.

it interests me that they appear to be offering a 'discount'

they know they are on dodgy ground here

and want to spoof you into paying more [or anything at all] on theloan

by threats on the phone.

stand your ground

everything in writing ONLY.

dx

and they

you can SAR at anytime.

dx

and they

[ATTACH]38830[/ATTACH]

I'm getting confused with this company now - as to are they actually reading emails?

Following on from original email to them I received a reply from "Darren Young" and again I promptly replied to him again..

Thank you for the email recieved yesterday, I have no issue with providing confirmation of arrangements in writing for you and will do so on request.

I have held the account for you to contact us on Friday and make a payment of £20 as advised, I would however like to clarify the arrangement you are offering and ask if this is going to be a payment made weekly.

Kind regards

Darren Young

My Reply

Darren,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The payment I would like to make of the £20 is a token payment, due to the time frame that has elapsed through the damaged communication that was for the FSO.

As I have no idea on how the FSO prioritises their work loads I thought it be best to make this payment.

Can you please provide me with the Bank Account number, sort code and also what reference I should make on the payment. I would like to make this payment by standing order. Alternatively if you could forward a paying in/giro slip that would be appreciated.

I do not wish to make any card or direct debit payments on the account at this stage.

That was sent at 11am this morning and no reply with there account details to make the payment tomorrow.

Then through the post came the following letter dated the 16th October a day after my original email to Darren Young at advantage..

They are still stating that they will remove all charges IF a suitable repayment plan is adhered to... Dont they understand I want the charges removed first, followed by the GAP/MBI?..

Also when they eventuallyrefund the charges and removed the GAP/MBI I would have paid more than half of the HP, were do I stand on terminating the agreement as I can not return the car as Advantage gave permission to scrap their vehicle?

TBH i bet the charges/GAp/MBI far outweigh what you owe with their int on top

plus if this wee me. i's enjoy a day in court

listening to them trying to justify why they made you pay

dx

and they

Had a lovely statement of account through the post today.

It reads:

20/10/2011 Brought Forward: £5,556.70

01/10/2012 Balance: £5,574.20

Thats a total of £304.50 charges, £147.00 of charges repayments and £140 Payments (agreed £20mth till I stopped 30th April)

A mighty sum of £17.50 ADDED to the total!!

Additional Info....

Just checked my Experian report, under Advantage finance it has balance updated to 21/10/2012 £5,107!!! the last 6 are £5,107 then £5,127 adding £20 upto £5227.

That cant be right can it???

Edited by ads_uk

• 2 weeks later...

They finally provided me with there bank details last week and on Friday 2/11/2012 I made a toke payment of £20.00 by direct payment via my online services (which credited there account instantly)

Then today I have received an Email from Advantage:

Darren Young

14:27 (3 hours ago)

Good Morning XXXXXXX;

Thank you for the payment that has been received yesterday for £25.00.

I have discussed your account with my manager and am able to offer to remove all the charges on the account should you be able to maintain a payment of £25.00 pw ongoing.

If you have any questions then please contact me on 01472 586341 and I will be more then happy to help.

Kind regards

Darren Young

First of all I did'nt make a £25 payment yesterday!

Secondly I have never agreed to £25 a week - that's impossible for me, they know my circumstances and I have told them on a number of occasions.

Its really getting to me that they dont appear to be listening or paying attention.

I'm at my whits end as I really dont know what to do anymore.