Tax Credit penelty worried sick

Ajtw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i am married and living with my husband and 4 children, my husband works i dont but recieve carers allowence for my youngest child, i recieved a letter from the tax credits saying that the income they held for me was different to what they had looked into they had, i had said 21,500 and they had 27,500 was including a bonus which did not realise that had to be included stupid i know but thought it was just the amount he earned a year i thought you had to give so i rang them and gave the tax office the correct income from the p60 i also did not declare that my husband has a company car, so gave all the info needed but now worried sick after reading the letter about peneltys and procecution etc been up all night worried sick am going to prison or got to pay money back i cant afford i know i should have took more care when filling out the form but now so worried any advice would be great as to what could happen the penelties team have the info now but still not heard from them ive tried ringing most days but they said it could take up to 4 weeks thanks in advance

Hi

Im in the same situation as u, gave the wrong income and about the company car, i phoned them last thursday and told them that it was my mistake and their info they had was correct, the lady on the phone said she was going to pass it on, but i still havent heard anything, im phoning the helpline everyday but my payments are still the same, im just wanting to know what the overpayment and payments are going to be, we only live on my husbands income and he doesnt get paid till the 22nd dec, so im needing to know when or if they are going to stop my payments so i can sort out about getting some money from somewhere.

Ive got a number for the penelties team but with the strikes today they took my number and said they would call me back tomorrow. Did your letter mention the penelties etc too ? Will let you know onces i get some info back from them will you do the same thanks. x

It did say about a penalty on the letter but it reads, that if u comply with them and help as much as u can it will reduce the penalty or they may even decide to not charge the penalty all together, but i suppose its up to them at the end of the day. Will keep u updated

Hi i am married and living with my husband and 4 children, my husband works i dont but recieve carers allowence for my youngest child, i recieved a letter from the tax credits saying that the income they held for me was different to what they had looked into they had, i had said 21,500 and they had 27,500 was including a bonus which did not realise that had to be included

First of all I didn't know parents could claim carer's allowance for looking after their own children?

Secondly, £21,500 is a lot for someone not working?

First of all I didn't know parents could claim carer's allowance for looking after their own children?

Secondly, £21,500 is a lot for someone not working?

Yes, CA can be claimed for caring for your own child if the child is receiving the mid or high rate care component of Disability Living Allowance and the other qualifying conditions are met. The income she refers to in her post does not appear to be her own, although she's said 'me'. It seems that she is talking about her husband's income.

thought it was just the amount he earned a year i thought you had to give

Ajtw, an overpayment will usually be recovered by reducing your ongoing award. A penalty may also be payable but only tax credit can decide whether or not to apply one. Provided you comply willingly and give full disclosure - which it appears you have done - prosecution in the circumstances (for tax credits) is unlikely.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I seem to recall hearing that HMRC is a lot less "trigger happy" than the DWP when it comes to criminal prosecutions, preferring civil action where required.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 5 weeks later...

I posted in November that my tax credits income was wrong on my claim and i recieved a letter to say the income they had to what i said was different so i rang straight away to clear things up and give the correct information, this was in November and i keep ringing for updates its with the penelties team and the girl dealing with it just keeps saying its with her mananger and that they are still dealing with it i told her on the phone i was worried and said that i had worried about all sorts and that i thought i was going to prison and she laughed and said no but i cant help worry should it take so long what normally happens after they have looked at it ? Am going crazy with worry anyone else been through this and could you please let me know the outcome thanks xxxx

The problem probably is that the department

has an enormous backlog of cases and the

exta long Christmas hol has only made it worse,

the girl is right I think no danger of a custodial

sentence.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you yeah think its not helped it being the holidays am just so worried i worry a lot about thing anyway this is sending me over the edge just need to know now thanks Ajtw xxxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recieved a letter re my overpayment to tax credits and they have amended my award and lowered my payments to take back the overpayment and have also charged me a penelty for not giving the correct information on my award notice the penelty is over £1000 and they want the money in 30 days the office is closed today that i need to speak to has anyone else had a penelty and been able to spread the payment over a few months just i have not got this kind of money to pay so quick help thanks.

Hi Ajtw.

You can ask to pay over a longer period of time but be aware that they can charge interest if they allow you more than 30 days to pay.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)