Car Insurance Help!

MamfaLi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all,

I have just renewed my car insurance (it was due 19/11) and spoke to a very nice man somewhere abroad who took all my details, checked nothing needed to be changed on my policy, tried to sell me vehicle recovery (which I declined) and then he took my payment details. Since then my new Certificate of Motor Insurance has come through in the post telling me I am covered from 19/11/11 to 19/11/12 BUT the renewal premium has not been taken from my bank account and this is now 2 weeks since my phone call.

So, am I actually covered on this Certificate if they have not taken the money? Should I 'own up' to the insurance firm or just sit quietly unti they notice their error?

Bit confused as usually these companies take money straight away.

Many thanks, Sam

• 1 year later...
Afternoon all,

I have just renewed my car insurance (it was due 19/11) and spoke to a very nice man somewhere abroad who took all my details, checked nothing needed to be changed on my policy, tried to sell me vehicle recovery (which I declined) and then he took my payment details. Since then my new Certificate of Motor Insurance has come through in the post telling me I am covered from 19/11/11 to 19/11/12 BUT the renewal premium has not been taken from my bank account and this is now 2 weeks since my phone call.

So, am I actually covered on this Certificate if they have not taken the money? Should I 'own up' to the insurance firm or just sit quietly unti they notice their error?

Bit confused as usually these companies take money straight away.

Many thanks, Sam

I know some cringe (including myself) at the thought of bumping 2 year old posts, but here it goes: (I have even done an extensive google search, but wasn't able to find any similar thread.)

One of my family members is in the same position as the OP now, and we are wondering what to do.

Apologies if bumping like this is against the rules, I didn't know, moderators please delete this if necessary.

Thanks.

Ask the Insurers when the payment is due to be collected.

You can use Askmid to see if the car is still insured.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So I SHOULD call them and remind them?

At this stage I think they have completely forgotten about it tbh...

Yes you should. Perhaps the Insurance was cancelled ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes you should. Perhaps the Insurance was cancelled ?

Sucks to be reminding them of their own mistake, when they always screw us over at the first opportunity.

I doubt the insurance was cancelled, the family member in question has a pristine record.

If it's on the MID then you will not get stopped if pinged by ANPR however should you have an accident or need to make a claim then you may find out that due to a technicality the renewal did not go through when it is too late. It is your responsibility to ensure that your insurance is valid and the fact that you know you haven't paid would be a significant factor against you should you make a complaint.

Advice therefore is to contact the insurer as if lapsed on their records it may not be possible to reinstate it.

You comment about reminding them of their "own mistake" may backfire as the onus legally is on you.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

If it's on the MID then you will not get stopped if pinged by ANPR however should you have an accident or need to make a claim then you may find out that due to a technicality the renewal did not go through when it is too late. It is your responsibility to ensure that your insurance is valid and the fact that you know you haven't paid would be a significant factor against you should you make a complaint.

Advice therefore is to contact the insurer as if lapsed on their records it may not be possible to reinstate it.

You comment about reminding them of their "own mistake" may backfire as the onus legally is on you.

Hi mate,

Its been a while, but thanks for your reply nonetheless, it is appreciated.

The family member in question has checked their bank statements a few more times, and eventually (though it took a while), the money was deducted from the account.

HOWEVER, there is yet another interesting thing. There are supposedly two named drivers on the policy (in addition to the main driver), but one of them (a young driver with NCD) is NOT listed on the insurance certificate/policy documents, but IS listed on the website when logged into the personal account.

It's quite interesting.

So what would be your opinion on the validity of the insurance cover for this particular named driver?

Cheers.

They should appear on the policy documents. Need to phone the Insurers to check why the documents are different to what is shown on line. I expect it is just a technical glitch.