• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Logbook loans have lost their final appeal they are officiallly gone

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I guess the hearing is over. Has there been any indication of when a judgment can be expected?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Caro

Well the OFT think that it will be any were from November on more than likely January.

They still have the right to Appeal this Judgment as well if they wish. So its going to be a possible long wait for final judgment day closed doors to their business

Thanks Nicky. These things do tend to take a long time. It's annoying that LBL are allowed to keep trading while this is ongoing, but I guess it's a case of innocent until proven guilty.:roll:

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro,

Yes it is.

I think this will carry on untill they have appealed against this. The OFT say they have the right of appeal again only if they have firmn grounds, just the same as any other case.

I have been able to get a copy of my hearing in transcript.

It will give very interesting reading because I turned on them and had my say about their actions. The Judges just sat and allowed this. I mean I let them have both barrels without making a fool of myself and my case. Hicks tried to but in but I stopped cold paused looked at him and firmly said " Do you mind I havnt finished yet" lol he just shut up and sat back in his chair. The room went silent. Sorry but I did enjoy that.

After I had been released by courts on my way out of the room the OFT said well done.

I just hope their other witnesses were as fired up and challenging as I was.

But then again the magority of them have had finance with them. I never did. It had been my car for 5 yrs. The loan had been put on with out my knowledge.

What we all have to keep in our minds is that this company is in its final stage before the staff will be standing in job centre looking for work. Lets face it everyone of them that has sat smug on the other end of the phone giving us hell and distroying our lives will soon be facing judgment day them selfs.

So any one that works for the jobcentre in their area that has taken loans and lost their cars.

GAME ON lol

I guess that's what's known as having your day in court. Well done Nicky.

The current position is that following an application by OFT, the Log Book Loans Ltd and Nine Regions Ltd appeals were struck out by the First Tier Tribunal on the basis that they had no reasonable prospect of success.

The Tribunal’s detailed reasons for its decision will be published in due course and Log Book Loans Ltd and Nine Regions Ltd will have right of appeal against this decision on points of law.

So that is the state of play at present, as relayed by my contact at the OFT.

The fact that LBL/Nine Region's appeals were struck out on the basis given above, makes good reading for us all. Especially those of us that have been directly impacted by our dealings with this wretched company.

Finally, those of us like Nicky , myself and many others who have given testimony as witnesses for the OFT, can gain comfort, knowing that we have done our bit to assist the OFT in getting closer to attaining the revoking of their credit licenses.

Hi Hip Hop

I spoke to Juleta yesturday and there has been nothing happening with the case the Judges are still going through it still.

Im in court on the 27 Sept I still have not had my case completed. Let alone had any chance of compensation for my loss.

Can you tell me have they been told to stop trading yet

Their appeals were struck out Nicky.

As I detailed above the Tribunal's detailed reasons for its decision will be published in due course. LBL/NR Ltd can appeal against this decision on points of law only. So plenty has been happening!

Why would they have been told to stop trading yet? And who would be telling them to do so? Whilst they have their CL's in place, they are legally entitled to trade.

They can explore all the options that are legally available to them and appeal against the OFT's decision to have their CL's revoked in the interim, until they are refused permission to do so.

As far as your case against them is concerned. It will stand on its own merits, regardless of where LBL's appeal is, unless of course, their licenses are finally revoked before your hearing, than that would be a different matter.

Edited by Hip_Hop

Don't lose any sleep Nicky.

If and when they they lose their CL has no bearing on their financial standing to compensate you if you make that case against them.

Remember, in any event, LBL is is a multi million pound business. Your claim, I presume is in the thousands? It would not be determined by them having a CL in place in order to settle. LOL.

I imagine a copy of your testimony would be a useful addition to your court bundle making sure the judge is fully aware of the OFT case.

It is worrying because I cant afford to cover my loss and buy a car like the one they took.

How did you find Hicks in court.

Its the second time I have been in court against him.

You would think with all the cash LBL have that they would employ the best legal team money can buy. I think he is rubbish

My case has already been part heard in March but because Im doing the case myself they cross ex me for 3 half hrs and I had the hearing ajourned because I had the docters to me at home in the middle of night for an injection for migran. I shouldnt have tried to go to the hearing but I did and come the end when I said no more I couldnt even rewad my paper work. I turned to the judge and said it stops now. She ignored me untill I stood my ground.

It was re listed for the end of June. " wks before the hering I had a letter from court saying the Judge had died. They then re listed it for September.

It has been hell. Courts lost the bundle four times I have lost in court time about a year now. Thats why Im very concerned

Hi Caro,

My god yes the courts will be given a copy of the transcrip. I feel that it makes their fight in court a little more difficult.

Hopefully the judge will see I have a stronge case because the OFT used it to form part of their case.

It will be very interesting what the courts will do. I think it will be very difficult for the judge to rule against me after that

What is your view on this

I know the courts are a rule to there own but it would bring up some very interesting questions I think

However good a litigator Hicks is. He can only work with what his client has lumbered him with.

I had over 4 hours of stand time with him and that obviously included time spent with the OFT's counsel too.

If you make your case and get compensation to boot than he is indeed rubbish.

If you don't and he makes his case against you stick or mitigates the value that he has to get his client to compensate you, then he is good by definition.

Such are what reputations are based on.

On the whole I thought he was very competent. My advice is simple. Don't under any circumstances drop your guard against him. Nor let him get you rattled emotionally. That is what he is looking to achieve. Remember, a discredited witness is one whose testimony is weakened as a consequence.

Remember you have to make your case for the judge to rule in your favour. You make the case, not the judge.... As to your testimony at the appeal hearing. The judge will consider your testimony but will be looking to you to make your case and I would have thought that your witness statement for the OFT had a different slant to the case that you are presenting against them in September, no?

Edited by Hip_Hop

I find it very difficult to ever predict how things will go in court. I have seen so many cases on CAG that to me seem clear cut. I guess we only really hear one side of the story and most of us have such limited knowledge of the law, and judges have to rule on their interpretation. The supreme court overturning the earlier judgments in the bank charges cases proved you can never tell. I saw a programme about the workings of the supreme court and the judges seemed genuinely to want to rule against the banks, but they had to rule based on their interpretation of a specific point of law and as such felt they had no choice but to find in favour of the banks.

All you can do is your best Nicky. I believe that preparation is the key, and I think this link is helpful for anyone going to court. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?163425-Re-Me-vs-MBNA-court-case-looming-help-please-**DISCONTINUED**&p=2171582&viewfull=1#post2171582

One thing that you might like to consider is applying for your case to be stayed pending the outcome of the case against the OFT. I don't know if that would be appropriate or not as I don't know enough about either case.

Hi

No I dont want to waste any more time. I just want to get in court becau8se if it goes against me then I have time for appeal.

You would think it would be easy to prove it was my car and that its the borrower is the guilty one for stealing my V5 and putting the loan on some thing that was not his.

One good thing that Bob Immres did point out to me. At the time I couldnt see how it works. But....

Because LBL did sfow due diliagence when prepairing the loan and approving it, they have left them self in a situation that on the sale of my car to pay the borrower loan. The money gained from this sale becomes a proceed of crime. There fore LBL can be charged with money laundering, as well as theft of my car

The reason for the money laundering is because they cant pay tax on ilegal money or proceeds of a crime.

serious stuff.

Nicky, I know it's so easy to do but I always advise that one should refrain from articulating their defense in public on this forum.

Reserve it for your proper hearing, no matter how cathartic you might feel it is for you. They read these forums and all you do is give them ammunition that they could possibly use against you!

Anyway,I'm off to bed and do you wish you well in your ongoing pursuit for justice and compensation!

Edited by Hip_Hop
clarity

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morning Everyone,

I am new to this site and have just registered. I live in Scotland.

I too had a loan from LBL t/a Nine regions for £400, but they said my loan wont be paid off till Jan 2013. I make payments at £100 per month. I received a call from their area manager stating that I had to pay the loan back asap because they done extra checks and found that I was bankrupt previously. I am a little unsure what to do as I havent missed any payments and have already apid the £400. (they say they do not do credit checks...). sorry if I sound like I am rambling on.

I also found a link in the daily mirror " rip-off loanss firm exposed by the sunday mirror looses credit licence", its dated 9th Oct this and didnt know if anyone had seen it??

I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thank u :)

Banana, you need to start your own thread in the Scottish forums.. follow the link below and click on the new thread button.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?71-Scotland

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Morning Everyone,

I am new to this site and have just registered. I live in Scotland.

I too had a loan from LBL t/a Nine regions for £400, but they said my loan wont be paid off till Jan 2013. I make payments at £100 per month. I received a call from their area manager stating that I had to pay the loan back asap because they done extra checks and found that I was bankrupt previously. I am a little unsure what to do as I havent missed any payments and have already apid the £400. (they say they do not do credit checks...). sorry if I sound like I am rambling on.

I also found a link in the daily mirror " rip-off loanss firm exposed by the sunday mirror looses credit licence", its dated 9th Oct this and didnt know if anyone had seen it??

I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thank u :)

Were you living in Scotland when you took out the logbook loan? They do not exist under Scottish Law. Simple as that. The loan element may still be owing, it's just that they cannot secure it via a bill of sale. Doublecheck to ensure it's not a more traditional HP agreement, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one, Ford. I will copy this into a separate thread as well :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They have only lost their licience, they have 6 months to continue old business, unless they appeal this within 28 days, if this doesnt succeed they will probably fold and sell their debts over to a company with a licience and carry on from there.