Recycled Mobile Number Problems (Not our debt!!)

Maevvy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm writing this on behalf of my boyfriend.

My boyfriend moved from a foreign country to Britain and has only been here just over a year, he has never had any debt troubles and I've never had any debt troubles in our whole lives.

So when it was time he purchased his mobile phone and contract from Vodafone. Within about a week Lowells were pestering him saying that he had an account with them. This seemed to have been "fixed" when we told them that it's the wrong person as the mobile phone number was recycled and the person in question was no longer at this number.

It's been a quiet year and now I think the debt has been passed on to another company, because now he is getting daily calls from another debt company. I think it is Creation Finance / Sigma because I googled the number they left: 0845 259 0324 and found it mentioned on the who calls me website. He hasn't picked the calls up yet because he's usually busy in meetings or such. This first started with a text message which I think was sent on Friday.

I have a few questions, so obviously we can prepare on what to do next:

1) How do we get this permanently to stop, regardless of who the debt is passed onto? It seems records are not "kept up to date" from company to company. Mind you, this person's own friends can't follow these instructions when they text his phone asking random rubbish so I doubt this shower will either.

2) Is there anything we should be wary of? I realise the obvious no giving out our names and no giving out personal details. But I know what these scumbags are like from reading these boards too much. Is there any chance of us being saddled with something that is 100% not ours if they are not able to track the original owner down? This is my main concern.

Many Thanks,

Maev.

You should certainly check your credit files with the 3 main Credit reference agencies to establish there is no adverse information being recorded on them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks. I thought that might be the case.

It seems that perhaps the calls are becoming more frequent as the number called his phone again. This time we picked it up and it was an automated message. He didn't listen long enough to find out what it said.

What would be our next action to try and get this sorted permanently? We will check the credit references (I check mine monthly) but until the number is scrubbed off the record it seems that he might always be under "threat" from them for something he's never done/owed.

Cool. Yeah. Vodafone have offered it for free for us because of the situation.

It doesn't guarantee we won't have the problem with the next number. We're thinking of taking up the offer though. It's great how with these automated messages they're giving away this person's first and second name though...

Thanks for the help.

Hi Maevvy,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

In the event that this recent contact relates to the matter which your boyfriend was contacted about last year could you ask him to email me with his details by following the contact information in our pinned thread here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?213340-Vodafone-Webteam-for-Customers-With-Problems?

Once sent he'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To enable me to ensure that it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to him as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK