Parent and Child parking spaces in major supermarket chains.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I have a feeling that I already know the answer to this, but if someone could advise me for definite.

Our local Asda's, Sainbury's and Tesco have all put signs up saying that if you park in the Parent and Child spaces, without a visible child seat in the car, you WILL receive a fine, varying by whichever supermarket you are using.

The question is, if I get one, do I treat it like Andrex, or would I have to pay it?

Please note, I never ever park in disabled bays, but I have no objection to parking in P&C spaces.

Regards,

Buncrana.

Edited by Buncrana

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there something wrong with your legs that you can't walk a few extra yards, or are you just too lazy?

This is an unhelpful response and will only provoke an argument.

However, the owners of a private carpark are entitled to impose reasonable conditions upon motorists who use it and frankly, these parking restrictions aren't a bad idea - although I can see lots of problem about them.

I think that maybe the best thing you can do is to have a word with someone who has got young children and who can't park because you have taken one of these reserved spaces, and see what they say. I think that they will give you better advice than you will get here.

A private company can impose any conditions they want on the use of their property, what you have to ask is why they provide parent and child spaces. If it is to avoid an accident whilst having to walk a young child/children across a busy car park. Then I think its only right that people don't park in them unless they have a child.

As regards the "Fine" [invoice] they say they will issue, well the only way they could force you to pay is by taking you to court!

I also do not condone parking in bays which have been set aside for those who need additional consideration such as disbaled and parents with small children. These bays are usually bigger to allow for wheel/push chairs to get between the parked cars.

Having said that, the signs have no actual legal status, especilally if they have the words 'Penalty' or 'fine' on them. Non of the supermarkets or any agent's acting on their behalf have the authority to issue 'fines' as they cannot legally recover them. Their case against anyone would have to be taken via the civil court route under contractual law.

Is there something wrong with your legs that you can't walk a few extra yards, or are you just too lazy?

I'm not even going to justify that statement.

My main reason for parking in them is that I feel it is discriminatory. I appreciate the arguments for having to walk through car parks with children etc, I'm a father myself, I just fail to see why, just because you have children with you, or a child seat in your car, that you should get special priviledges for parking.

If you are a blue badge holder, then there's usually a good reason why you have the blue badge.

Having children is a lifestyle choice. Getting old or being disabled isn't, therefore I do believe that I am being discriminated against by the major chains for this.

But my question wasn't on the morals of parking in these allocated bays, my question was the legallity of enforcing them.

I questioned Sainsbury's recently over the proximity of the parent of child parking and they advised that it was for safety purposes, however I am not aware of any children being hurt or run over in the last 30 or more years at my local store!

I have rheumatoid arthritis which can be debilitating at times and walking is sometimes a problem so I do occasionally use the parent and child spaces but usually at times when children should be tucked up in bed!

A person in the CEO's office confirmed that this wouldn't be a problem and just to mention it to staff on any visit.

I would never use a disabled bay and hope that I never have to!i

My main reason for parking in them is that I feel it is discriminatory. I appreciate the arguments for having to walk through car parks with children etc, I'm a father myself, I just fail to see why, just because you have children with you, or a child seat in your car, that you should get special priviledges for parking.

As the mother of twins, it wasnt the proximity of the space that made parent and child parking spaces a blessing, but the size of them. I couldnt get the car seats out both sides if I parked in a normal space. Then as they got older, they used the door to help them get out which meant it got pushed towards the car in the next space and so it was difficult to get them out and prevent damage to other people's cars in the normal spaces.

I wouldnt have minded if the spaces were furthest away from the supermarket, I just needed the extra space. Now they are older (7) its not a problem and so I park in the normal spaces.

I think you will find the legality of a "fine" rather dubious, however, I dont think you are being discriminated against, its just to make life a little bit easier for people who are having to get babies and toddlers out of the car.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

We could all do with bigger spaces, I am sure they are all now a lot narrower than they used to be!

Some may say I am wider than I used to be but he ho!

Never had special bays when mine were little and we survived but I agree less risk to the next car if you have a bit more room, I have got so many dents on my car doors from careless people.

With reference to the fines, I believe they are not enforceable but a bit scary if you have one slapped on your car, there are some threads on here about different companies that issue them.

with reference to the fines, I believe they are not enforceable but a bit scary if you have one slapped on your car, there are some threads on here about different companies that issue them.

Hi Dotty, that's why I said I suspect I know the answer. I read some other threads re PPC's etc, just wasn't sure if it applied to companies a bit more powerful than them :)

I questioned Sainsbury's recently over the proximity of the parent of child parking and they advised that it was for safety purposes, however I am not aware of any children being hurt or run over in the last 30 or more years at my local store!

Just how did people manage before P&C spaces?

Going back to the OP mentioning the car seats - some baby car seats, (ie, those for new borns) have a carry cot that you can also clip to a pushchair. What happens there, then?

Just how did people manage before P&C spaces?

Going back to the OP mentioning the car seats - some baby car seats, (ie, those for new borns) have a carry cot that you can also clip to a pushchair. What happens there, then?

They are the reason you need extra space to get them out of the car

FAQ SECTION HERE

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

The reason these bays are close to the store is so that you don't have a situation where a mother is trying to guide two or three kids - 5, 6, 7 year olds across a car park with cars coming past, reversing, turning corners etc, while trying to get the shopping in the car as well as getting the kids loaded into their seats. It doesn't require much intelligence to see why car parks pose a danger to little children - a child could easily be killed trying to dodge between moving 4x4s. You might not care about the morality of taking a child's space, but others do - it is antisocial, dangerous and selfish.

As for your feeling of being "discriminated" against, I've never heard anything so ridiculous. Give children a chance to get into the store in one piece, even if it means you have to walk for an extra 10 seconds.

What did people do before p&c spaces?

What did people do before blue badges, disabled loos, baby changing areas etc etc we are meant to be getting more civilised not going back to a dog eat dog world in which the fittest survives. The fact that you ask the question makes me wonder if you are incredibly stupid or just looking for an excuse for their own selfish behaviour.

What did people do before p&c spaces?

Struggle!

My children remained in the car until I got the pushchair ready, and I always used a harness for the one that was walking so there was never any danger of them wandering off

What did people do before blue badges, disabled loos, baby changing areas etc etc we are meant to be getting more civilised not going back to a dog eat dog world in which the fittest survives. The fact that you ask the question makes me wonder if you are incredibly stupid or just looking for an excuse for their own selfish behaviour.

Not being stupid. I just don't understand why parents need to park closer - my parents managed; why can't others? Ah yes, laziness.

Not being stupid. I just don't understand why parents need to park closer - my parents managed; why can't others? Ah yes, laziness.

I think you will find that the proximity of children & parent bays isn't in question. As Natalie points out, it is the extra width of the bay which is important which is what i pointed out in my post (#5)

This is one of my pet hates too. I confess to using the parent child spaces too, to avoid getting my car damaged in the regular spaces.

I see no reason why they should be there in the first place or if we must have them how about putting them further from the door. Most supermarkets have long pedestrian walkways. Let the mother and obese crying child walk the extra distance, Do them some good.

I agree with the OP that it is discrimanation against us for making the choice not to bring kids to the supermarket.

This is one of my pet hates too. I confess to using the parent child spaces too, to avoid getting my car damaged in the regular spaces.

I see no reason why they should be there in the first place or if we must have them how about putting them further from the door. Most supermarkets have long pedestrian walkways. Let the mother and obese crying child walk the extra distance, Do them some good.

I agree with the OP that it is discrimanation against us for making the choice not to bring kids to the supermarket.

What do you do then if you are a single parent with a child who is not old enough to be left home alone? Maybe if your so concerned about getting your car damaged in the 'regular' spaces, you should consider not bringing your car to the supermarket and use public transport!

just remember

ANY road markings on private land are purely graffitti and have NO legal standing anyway.

there is nothing they can do to you anyhow

the only thing you need to fight is your mind for other people!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As for your feeling of being "discriminated" against, I've never heard anything so ridiculous. Give children a chance to get into the store in one piece, even if it means you have to walk for an extra 10 seconds.

As stated earlier, the question was not on the morality of parking in these spaces, it was the legality of the PPC's issuing tickets for parking in these spaces.

And as for the ''discrimination'', I am perfectly entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.

Take it one stage further, let's have ''Whites Only'' spaces next to the P&C spaces, because as far as I'm concerned, there is no difference.

Take it one stage further, let's have ''Whites Only'' spaces next to the P&C spaces, because as far as I'm concerned, there is no difference.

Legally they can do nothing,the tickets are unenforceable. However they could always ban you from their property!

However your statement above is ridiculous discriminating against someone's race or colour is illegal, and not a comparison at all. Discriminating against someone who is too lazy to walk a little further or who thinks their car deserves a bit more space then others is not!

And as for the ''discrimination'', I am perfectly entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.

I think that is a rather excessive comparison. There is a reason why parents with young children need these spaces, as i mentioned before, admittedly they dont need to be close to the shop, just bigger. The reason they need to be bigger is :

1. so you can get baby seats out of the car

2. So you can put the pram pushchair next to the car, putting it behind the car isnt safe for you or for anyone else reversing who cant see the pushcair because its too low

3. So that other people's cars dont get bashed by the doors when getting toddlers out of the car.

So there are the reasons why parents with young children need specific spaces. Valid reasons that are not in the slightest bit discriminatory (they apply to fathers as well as mothers)

There is no valid reason why colour of skin would deem one space preferential to another.

So there is no comparison.

The reason why you are not allowed to park in these spaces without young children is because if you do, then someone who has young children cant park there, and as you dont have young children you dont need the extra space as stipulated above.

If you had a medical condition that meant that you needed to park closer, or needed extra space to get out, I'm pretty certain allowances would be made.

• Haha 1

FAQ SECTION HERE

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR