• Tweets

• No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
    • did you submit your directions
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Court Next week! **ANOTHER BARCLAYS WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A reply to Barclays defence.

Details of Acts of Parliament and cases I will be referring to. Including Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, Supplyof Goods and Services Act 1982 and, of course, the 1999 legislation (sections 5, 8, and Schedule 2(1)(e)). I have highlighted relevant sections.

What did you put in a reply to the barclays defence?

And where do I get the other information? any chance you could send me some stuff on a email?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to jump in on this thread. I would also be very grateful if you post in an open thread or PM me some pointers as to where to find the documents needed to submit to the Court.

Cheers

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

OK this is what I have put together so far.

Let me know if you need any of these as some were hard to find using google:

List of charges to date

List of letters sent to Barclays

Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

OFT investingation

Well I think I have the above docs but having trouble finding the relevant sections in them :(

Have you submitted an Allocation Questionaire to the court yet?

I have merged your three threads together and deleted the duplicate post in general. Please try to keep each claim in one thread if possible.

Mervalous

Would it be possible to either post or PM me with a link to a copy of the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4, I can't seem to find one on the site or on the OPSI site.

Many thanks in advance

Boon

Yes, I have recieved a letter back from the courts informing that date is TBC and that I need to send all docs to both barclays and the courts 28 days before the court case.

Thats why I'm running around trying to find out what docs we should send, there doesnt seem to be a definative list anywhere.

Have you submitted an Allocation Questionaire to the court yet?

I have merged your three threads together and deleted the duplicate post in general. Please try to keep each claim in one thread if possible.

Mervalous:

I am at the same stage as you. I am going to submit all of my evidence today, and spent the last week preparing everything.

I have included:

A copy of all correspondence with the bank.

A breakdown of charges + interest.

A summary of the dispute to date.

A reply to Barclays defence.

Details of Acts of Parliament and cases I will be referring to. Including Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, Supplyof Goods and Services Act 1982 and, of course, the 1999 legislation (sections 5, 8, and Schedule 2(1)(e)). I have highlighted relevant sections.

A copy of the OFT Report on Default Charges [downloadable from OFT website].

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I have just recieved Barclays defence through the post. When returning the questionnaire to the court do I need to include any of my responce etc, or is all of that done later?

In regards to your quote above would you possibly be able to post any links to the relevant documents so I (and others) can have a scan through them?

Much appreciated....

:D

PS: I too recieved the same defence as everybody else seems to.....

No documents need for the questionnaire, well I didnt bother as it says something about not needing to on the form.

I dont know where I found the above docs but if you cut and past the names into google it should bring you loads of links, thats what i did and just saved them on my PC now :)

hth

Andyroo & others seeking information:

I started by including all letters which I sent to Barclays, and received from them. I put these in chronological order. In hindsight, although I didn't include it, I would have also sent a copy of the letter which Barclays normally sends when it charges you £35 (The one that says We are charging you for having insufficient funds in your account, blah blah blah). If you choose to do this, write above it, "Sample Letter" (which, when accepted into evidence, will prove what Barclays have been doing, adding to your argument that it shouldnt cost £35 to only write this letter!

As far as the legislation is concerned, I used the Google search engine to find specific mention of the names of the Acts. I typed in the names of the Acts (e.g. "Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977"), and there were a few hits. Some of these sights allowedyou to print off the relevant sections of the legislation.

Other useful sources of information:

Govan Law - Resources: penalty & unfair bank charges | legal help from Govan Law Centre, Glasgow, UK

Bank Charges Hell - bankchargeshell.co.uk - Bank Charges

St Brendan's Law - Information about contractlaw and terms - Saint Brendan's - Law pages - index

Don't forget to include a copy of the OFT's April 2006 report on Default Charges - downloadable & printable from the OFT website http://www.oft.gov.uk. Before sending a copy of this to Mr Jeremiah (or his other assistants) and to the court, read through it, and highlight the relevant bits of the report. The judge will appreciate this, rather than having to trawl through the wholedocument. Notice, the end paragraph mentions that, although the Report focusses on credit card charges, its findings should also be applied to other banking services, such as overdrafts etc!

Good luck in your research. Please pmmeif you get stuck on any of the above.

PS: Although I've submitted my 'bundle' of evidence to both the bank and my local court, well before the deadline, the final deadline day for the bank to do the same was today, and no docs. have been received by either myself or the bank. Does this mean Barclays cannot produce any evidence???!!!

Sorry to be a pain but I have had a quick look at the OFT site and cannot find the 'April 2006 report on Default Charges'

Could you post a more specific link please

Cheers

Spotty

LBA 7th June

MCOL 22nd June

AQ sent 2nd August

Settled in full 12/12/06

Thanks Mervelous

Spotty

LBA 7th June

MCOL 22nd June

AQ sent 2nd August

Settled in full 12/12/06

can someone please tell me the relavent parts of these acts?

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e).

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

or even better if someone can send me all the things they are sending to barclays. kind have left it to the last minute so a quick responce would be appreciated. ie have to put in postoffice tommorrow with special delivery, to get there monday.

many thanks in advance

James

Hello - just out of interest can you confirm the content of your response to the banks defence - I am coming up to this stage and would like an idea of what I can put that can carry some weight - thanks in Advance

Hello - just out of interest can you confirm the content of your response to the banks defence - I am coming up to this stage and would like an idea of what I can put that can carry some weight - thanks in Advance

yeah np

unfortuantly i am not at home but will be tomz so i will let you know then!

James

can someone please tell me the relavent parts of these acts?

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e).

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

or even better if someone can send me all the things they are sending to barclays. kind have left it to the last minute so a quick responce would be appreciated. ie have to put in postoffice tommorrow with special delivery, to get there monday.

many thanks in advance

James

that would be very handy indeed.

Can someone help us?

If they settle before the court date, send a letter to the court informing that they have settled with no new information coming to light and that in your opinion they are wasting the courts time by dragging out yours and other cases with no intention of defending - which Barclays seem to be doing with everyone. I'm waiting for the allocation questionairre now , however, i am cofident that they will settle before a court hearing- and I will be sending a letter to the court when the time comes.

I don't know if it will serve any purpose but its worth a try.

Good luck too

I am at a similar stage to you - AQ has been sent, now waiting for Court date

Spotty

LBA 7th June

MCOL 22nd June

AQ sent 2nd August

Settled in full 12/12/06

...I've submitted my 'bundle' of evidence to both the bank and my local court, well before the deadline...

Ive just sent back my court questionnaire, how long after did you get your deadline to supply the evidence?

Many thanks. :D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks