Local store charges 35p for using debit cards

Morgana J
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am new to this site and seem to find it a problem finding my way round the forums to find an answer to my concern about the issues of our Local store now charging 35p on any card transaction made over £5..

He appears to have decided very recently that this is to happen.. He hasn't changed his supplier for card payment machines ..and refuses to give a valid reason as to why he has given an extra charge for any card payment? be it Debit or Credit card.

Can he do this?... is he legally allowed to do this? we are all very angry at his decision..and as a local community it appears he is taking the juice and leaving the stress to the few ladies who work there..:mad2:

If anyone out there can explain in black & white if legally he can get away with this..it would be appreciated.

I am planning to take this further once I have correct information & details.. :wink:

Morgana J :-)

I'm sure he can, its his store and can charge what he likes..he is basically saying, here is an item it costs xxp +35p, take it or leave it.

I assume that under £5 he wont accept it at all.

Don't forget that he does in fact inccur a charge for accepting cards, you may recall that the ant- bank charges arguemnet was that it doesnt really cost them £20-£30 to reject a payment, so using that same argument he may well claim that it does in fact cost him 35p per card transaction.

Of course large stores know that this extra cost would put off customers so they swallow the card cost themselves.

Andy

Edited by andydd

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, the merchants still charge me nearly 3% and hold all payments for 14 days before giving access to the funds.

Unfortunately these days cash is the only cash. :(

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB