• Tweets

• 1st letter image.pdf1st letter 2nd page.pdf
    • Many thanks for the replies and advice!   I what to send this email to the Starbucks CEO and the area manager. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   [email protected] [email protected]   Re: MET Parking PNC at your Starbucks Southgate site   Dear Ms Rayner, / Dear Heather Christie,   I have received a Notice to Keeper regarding a Parking Charge Notice of £100 for the driver parking in the Southgate Park Car Park, otherwise infamously known as the Stanstead Starbucks/McDonalds car park(s).   Issued by: MET Parking Services Ltd Parking Charge Notice Number: XXXXXXXXX Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX Date of Contravention: XX.XX.XXXX Time: XX:XX - XX:XX   After a little research it apears that the driver is not alone in being caught in what is commonly described as a scam, and has featured in the national press and on the mainstream television.   It is a shame that the reputation of Starbucks is being tarnished by this, with your customers leaving the lowest possible reviews on Trustpilot and Trip Advisor at this location, and to be associated with what on the face of it appears to be a doubious and predatory car park management company.   In this instance, during the early hours of the morning the driver required a coffee and parked up outside Starbucks with the intention of purchasing one from yourselves. Unfortunately, you were closed so the driver walked to McDonalds next door and ordered a coffee, and for this I have received the Notice to Keeper.   It is claimed that the car park is two separate car parks (Starbucks/McDonalds). However, there is no barrier or road markings to identity a boundary, and the signage in the car park(s) and outside your property is ambiguous, as such the terms would most likely be deemed unfair and unenforcable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   I understand that Starbucks-Euro Garages neither operate or benefit from the charges imposed by MET Parking. However, MET Parking is your client.   Additionally, I understand that the charge amount of £100 had previously been upheld in court due to a ‘legitimate interest in making sure that a car park was run as efficiently as possible to benefit other drivers as well as the local stores, keeping cars from overstaying’.   However, this is not applicable when the shop or store is closed (as was the case here), as there is no legitimate interest. Therefore, the amount demanded is a penalty and is punitive, again contravening the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   As the driver’s intention of the visit was genuine, I would be grateful if you could please instruct your client to cancel this Notice to Keeper/Parking Charge Notice.   Kind regards
    • I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary. The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part. The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change. I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.
    • Please post up their letter so we understand what they've asked. You need to cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • Hello,  I received the standard letter.  I don't understand No. 3: If this is in relation to a ticket irregularity, then if you were unable to produce a pass because you did not have it with you or if your pass was withdrawn because you were unable to produce a valid photocard to accompany it, please enclose a photocopy of the pass/photocard with your reply. Question: do i enclose my photocard? my partner's freedom pass was confiscated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

British Gas, disconected my boiler won't install new, newborn baby with cold

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to anyone that can help!

Ive got a current debt of around 550 on electricity and about 250 on gas that British gas finially talked me into paying by pre payment meter approx. 20 months ago. I was struggling to pay the debt and so they suggested this as the - well only route becuase unless i paid the debt i would be cut off completely.

Now my boiler has broken and is non repairable (25 years old!) - British gas disconnected it as its unsafe and british gas gave me a quote for a new boiler I could not go ahead becuase my poor recent credit history (we lost family business of 20 years about 3 years ago)

Anyway I am using an imersion heater for hot water (thank god have hot water!) and british gas gave me 2 x fan heaters, ever since the electricity has been costing about £15 a day to heat the house. My Mum seems to think that the pre payment meter customers are on a higher tariff.

I have a new born baby and bless him he has a cold and i just wish there was something i could do, but the cheapest quote ive had for a new boiler installtion is £1500.00.

The house is cold and its difficult to dry our clothes etc with fan heaters, the bathroom towels just dont dry and I am finding myself having to wash everything more often - its a total viscous circle - in a couple of weeks time i will be out of pocket completely form the amount im spending on electric and could have contributed to a new boiler.

ANYONE that can advise me please I would be grtaeufl

THANK YOU:madgrin:

The five big energy companies signed up for a scheme to help people pay their large bills, but they don't tell anyone that it exists.

Secondly Is it legal in 2011 to have a new born baby living in these conditions. You could argue that you could be done for child neglect due to no fault of your own (British gas have a duty of care by law)

Seek advice for CAB

Hi Surrey

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Was your boiler disconnected during a service or repair visit?

The engineer will have left you some paperwork with an indication of whether the boiler is "Not to current standards", "At Risk" or "Immediately Dangerous" - can you tell me which is selected?

With regards to a new boiler, the best option to secure one without a hefty up front cost is on credit, however if you're credit rating is poor you will need to pay up front. There are likely some grants available, and sometimes local authorities can offer crisis loans.

Also, if you meet certain criteria you may be eligible for a credit of around £120 on your meter for winter. Call BG energy on 0800 048 0303 and ask about this.

Mr H

• Haha 1

Secondly Is it legal in 2011 to have a new born baby living in these conditions. You could argue that you could be done for child neglect due to no fault of your own (British gas have a duty of care by law)

There is no neglect going on here: There is both heating, and hot water, hot water by immersion heater, and heating by electric heater. -many houses don't actually have gas supplies so this is how it's done!

Practically, I don't know whether you would be able to afford to do this, but the oil filled radiator heaters are a little more efficient and cheaper to run than electric fan heaters. you could consider buying one of those at least for the babies room.

I'd also suggest only switching the immersion heater on to heat up water for washing, and when you want to do dishes boiling a kettle to fill the bowl then add cold water to make it comfortable.

I'd also suggest filling the baby bath in this manner as it'll save you quite a lot of money to not heat around 60 litres of water in a tank for the sake of wanting 10 litres to do the dishes! I know it sounds a bit basic, and it takes a little getting used to (turning on the tap and no hot water coming out at certain times of day). but having been in situations similar to yours I can tell you that it's saving money that you don't need to spend that will really count!

• 3 weeks later...
Practically, I don't know whether you would be able to afford to do this, but the oil filled radiator heaters are a little more efficient and cheaper to run than electric fan heaters. you could consider buying one of those at least for the babies room.

I'd also suggest only switching the immersion heater on to heat up water for washing, and when you want to do dishes boiling a kettle to fill the bowl then add cold water to make it comfortable.

I'd also suggest filling the baby bath in this manner as it'll save you quite a lot of money to not heat around 60 litres of water in a tank for the sake of wanting 10 litres to do the dishes! I know it sounds a bit basic, and it takes a little getting used to (turning on the tap and no hot water coming out at certain times of day). but having been in situations similar to yours I can tell you that it's saving money that you don't need to spend that will really count!

i agree. also, when i lived in a flat with no gas and no double glazing, i found the halogen heaters to be worth their weight in gold. they are cheaper to buy than oil-filled heaters, costing under £10. what they do is give instant heat to the objects in front of them, rather than heating a whole room (which is ideal if you have high ceilings as normal heaters heat the air, which then rises and so a high-ceiling room will take longer to heat)

so what i would suggest is heat your main room as you are doing now*, and have the halogen heaters available in other rooms for when you need instant heat for a small amount of time. for instance, when changing your clothes, or when you have popped into the house and will be going straight out again (so heating the whole house would be a waste of energy).

* or heat the living room during the day, and the room the baby sleeps in at night (eg. your bedroom) but not 2 rooms all the time!

halogen heaters can be found in local hardware stores, ebay, kelkoo (kelkoo search showed me that maplin sold an 800w for £4.94 or a 1200w for £8.94). each heater has 2 or 3 bulbs of 400w each, so you can vary the power - i measured 350w each at the power outlet so i would use the 350w figure if trying to calculate how much it will cost through your pre-pay meter. i would suggest getting 2 of the smaller ones, then you can vary from 350w to 1400w, and you can have the heat coming from 2 angles - from experience if you sit close to the larger one you can feel like you are burning on one side and cold on the other!!

PS - i did the same thing with the kettle for dishes. there was NO need to heat the whole water tank for dishes since we had an electric shower so it seemed a waste! can i suggest adding a little cold water before the boiling water if using a plastic basin - boiling water causes many plastics to release Bisphenol compounds, which were recently banned from babies bottles!

Surrey, could you please let us know of any outcome ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, not sure of your financial situation but I've found this if it helps

If you or the person you care for have any difficulty paying gas or electricity bills, there are several options.

Social tariffs

All energy providers must provide social tariffs to their vulnerable customers. Social tariffs aim to protect people on low incomes and those who are vulnerable due to old age or disability.

In keeping with official regulations, social tariffs can be no higher than their lowest deal on offer. Social tariffs are there to protect vulnerable people from high fuel and electricity prices. If you're struggling to meet fuel costs, you can ask if you're eligible to be moved to a social tariff.

Eligibility criteria may change from supplier to supplier. However, examples of people who may be entitled to social tariffs include households that are receiving:

You may also qualify if you receive a disability or severe disability entitlement with any child tax credits.

If you're looking after a vulnerable person or are vulnerable yourself, talk to your energy supplier to see if you can switch tariffs.

Also

If you're on certain benefits you will receive an extra cold weather payment if the temperature where you live is (or forecast to be) 0ºC or below for at least seven consecutive days between November 1 and March 31. The payment is £25 a week for the winter of 2009/10.

The benefits that will make you eligible for this payment include:

• Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-based Employment and Support Allowance

If you're claiming because you're on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-based Employment and Support Allowance, you must also:

• be receiving a disability or pensioner premium
  • be responsible for a child under five; or
  • be receiving Child Tax Credit that includes one of the disability elements

Fuel Direct

This is a system that allows people on certain benefits to have money deducted from their benefit and paid directly to gas or electricity suppliers. You will be allowed to do this if you're receiving Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-based Employment and Support Allowance.

A sum of £3.25 a week can be deducted from your benefit to pay off the arrears, as well as a further amount for your current costs. In some cases, the deduction can be made without your consent but there's a maximum amount that can be deducted from your benefit.

Crisis loans

You may be eligible for a crisis loan to pay off arrears on fuel that was needed in an emergency, as well as an amount to cover future costs. You don't have to show that you're receiving benefit but you have to show, among other things, the following:

• you don't have enough resources to meet the immediate short-term needs of you or your family
  • the loan is for an emergency and it's the only way to prevent serious damage or serious risk to the health and safety of you or a member of your family
  • you're likely to be able to repay the loan

If you've been disconnected or are likely to be disconnected, you could argue that lack of adequate heating could pose a serious risk to your health or the health of the person you're looking after.

If you need a crisis loan to pay for a powercard or token, the amount you need for fuel arrears should be awarded separately from the amount you need for current consumption

from this website http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/moneyandlegal/finance/Pages/Utilitybills.aspx

Keep us updated and good luck.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Also found this after poking around forums

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018661

It takes you to a Warmfront application where they will install a full central heating system if yours is broken, so if only your boiler needs replacing then it shouldn't be a problem at all. Also on the forum the person who got the grant said that they didn't actually reach the criteria but after phoning their local authority they said they did under their 'local' criteria, so it may be worth phoning them up about it too.

• Haha 1

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin: