Even more bad news for people on ESA

frank_begbie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Especially as when you go to a medical, they're outcome is mostly wrong!

So when put on JSA, & they ask why you haven't been looking for work or why you can't do this or that job & we reply, its because we're ill! What happens then?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can an ATOS stranger, decide whether you are ok for work in a 30 min tick box interview. As opposed to my GP who has known me 15 years plus!

If they don't trust GP's to do there jobs, then how can GP's be employed to do anything? :mad2:

Exactly! What next? get rid of GPs and get unqualified people to diagnose the sick?

At least if your GP decides whether you're fit or unfit for work, they have qualifications to know what is likely to happen in regards to your health.

My wife who is sixty in 5 months time was put on the sick by the company doctor and then she progressed to ESA, did the ATOS medical and escalated to the higher level of ESA as ATOS decided she cannot work. Not sure what other tests she would be required to do. Secondly and more importantly, at the moment, healthy normal people who has never had a day off sick are battling to get work so what sort of chance does a person with a abysmal attendance record through no fault of their own stand in getting work? Where are these jobs?

I think it is more demoralising for someone who has disabilities to get to interview stage and then to get turned down due to sickness record even when applying for part time work just to keep oneself occupied.

I went through it all last year at the grand age of 61 before the job centre eventually turned around and in not so many words said your disability is affecting your chances of getting work and you would be better off on Pension Credit. I cannot take on regular hours even part time asalthough I might feel okay today, I do not know whether I will be fit enough to work the next day

I cannot take on regular hours even part time asalthough I might feel okay today, I do not know whether I will be fit enough to work the next day

I think this is the same for many disabled people - they want to work; but their disability means that they're not able to work whenever they are required. Too many jobs are 37.5+ a week, I can't do any of them.

at the moment, healthy normal people who has never had a day off sick are battling to get work so what sort of chance does a person with a abysmal attendance record through no fault of their own stand in getting work? Where are these jobs?

Given this, I am confused as to why they want so many people off IB / ESA and back to work.

This is all to do with the government hoping we'll do what they do in America and take out private insurance because Welfare Benefits will be either too low or almost non-existent.

The government is involved with an insurance company who helped devise the new testing .

The awful truth is that this really is happening and there's nothing we can do.

About time someone stood up and stated the obvious.

Let's hope this really starts the ball rolling and motivates others to pressurise this government.

Trouble is this was started a few years ago so it's all been in the pipeline for some time.

This lot are very hardnosed though and a Sky reporter said this afternoon he'd heard Tory MP's in the House say - with regard to the bishops - '...........let them stick to saving souls and not the proles'.

That's how they regard the ordinary people of this country. Very revealing.

... so what sort of chance does a person with a abysmal attendance record through no fault of their own stand in getting work? ...

Indeed. If I was able to work fulltime with my illness (severe stage chronic bronchitus) then, so far this year, I would have required 85 days sick leave! (Three chest infections and a breast absyss). I think you're only allowed something like 7 days sick on JSA. That'll be me in the poo ...

I so feel like sending a petition to my Gp's surgery for them all to sign and I'd personally bring it to every surgery in my area for it to be completed (Well I mean I'd start it then I'd get my husband to transport me to every surgery and get him to give it to them to complete) but you know what I mean ............ I know my GP would fill it in no problem

Best plan of action right now might be to write and ask Tory MP's how people with existing disabilities are going to manage??

Oh and just a thought.......will people buying one of the 'affordable houses' under the Government's newly announced plan this morning be expected to take out insurance to cover falling sick?

Apparently buyers who fall behind in their mortgage payments will be taken care of by the taxpayer.

Something doesn't tie up here.

It's 14 days; not 7. But yeah, I agree with you. Who would want to employ someone who needs that amount of time off work?

Even worse when you are in your early sixties and youa re forced into early retirement instead of being a productive citizen. It gets boring at home after awhile as all social interaction disappears and you have nothing in common to discuss. At least at work you can talk work related matters, meet people, chat about various subjects in lunch breaks etc plus the fact you will earn a hell of a lot more than on benefits.

Many jobs you apply for these days, ask permission and state they will ask for your medical records before they take your application any further.

So all in all, there is NO chance at all, that those of us who are ill, will find work.

Anyway, legally if we sign on for JSA and say/sign we are fit for work, we are signing to a lie...because we are not - I would be angry if I was employing someone and the truth was being hidden/covered up.

I am 54 and before I was ill, some of the staff told me at my local JC that I would struggle to get a job because of my age.

Add the sickness into the mix and it gets a whole lot worse.

So we get a job, are unable to carry it out, so either get sacked or have to leave, and we end up with NO money at all.

What a horrible, uncaring World this is.

I am already on medication for depression and receiving counselling, all this does, is send me even further into decline - but then, who is there to care.

Lilly

I am truely scared today !

If changes are introduced to Benefits cap then my children will probably be homeless within 3 months I will not have the money to get them to school - I will not be able to give my daughter travel money for school nor will I be able to give her the extra pound I do so she can get a drink with her free school meal as currently a drink is not included -

This is apart from my worries about losing my DLA ESA payment truth be known we live in poverty now how will we survive punished for being ill

Something has got to happen to help us ...........

onstressedwoman - I am sure I read that the cap doesn't include people who are disabled. It's aimed at those who are out of work, due to lack of job and not illness / caring responsibilities.

Please, what do they class as disabled.

I am also in floods of tears - as I fear for my future.

I cannot help my age, and I cannot help being ill (if I could turn the clock back I would) wouldn't most of us).

All the forms that keep arriving and copies of copies of letters from the DWP, every time I see a brown envelope I freak out.

Lilly.

Been thinking about this, and the only reason I can see for introducing these measures is to get absolutely EVERYONE off all kinds of sickness benefit.

At present lots of people get through the medical with enough points to carry on getting their benefit without appealing.

Also lots of people win their appeals and go back to full benefit.

They obviously want to stop this any way they can, so if you can't get a new sick note in the first place, they'll stop every thing in its tracks.

You HAVE to be given the right to appeal every decision, so you will be allowed to carry on getting ESA while you wait for the appeal, as we do now.

Just like ATOS, if they can install people NOT give sick notes to everyone, they would be saving a fortune, with ALL claimants being in a constant state of going through appeal, either appealing the ATOS medical decision, or this new crowd that are not giving out sick notes.

Pretty soon no one will be getting more than the basic Jobseekers amount of money. Sickness benefit will be a thing of the past.

It'll take a few years to achieve all their aims, but they WILL achieve them.

Which some won't get. Due to the ridiculous way the system works, you can be found fit for work and not well enough for JSA.

Well they don't want the unemployment figures to go through the roof so people not seen fit for work will get ESA.

Remember what the government did in the 80s, all the unemployed miners.....they encouraged them to go onto the sick, so as not to make the dole queues any longer.

Things were a lot different then though....we had lots of North Sea oil to pay for it all.

Amazing how the changes to the benefit system and rising unemployment figures are exactly what I read about in 1995 whilst studying the manifestos of the political parties.

When I read that the conservatives aimed to replace welfare benefits largely with insurance, privatise hospitals and go for mass unemployment I took it all with a large pinch of salt.

I'm quite unnerved by how all that i read is coming true.

• 2 weeks later...

Im still waiting for my appeal date to come through. I do have an appointment with someone whos trained to help with the appeal tomorrow so Im hoping she can give me some more information and what to expect. They say on the letter to bring someone with you but in my case there really isnt anyone I can take with me. Ive been reduced to moving back in with my 80 year old mum whos helping me out financially which makes me feel even worse. Im 43 and living off a pensioner and before my injury I had never had a day off sick in my life and now I just see my life eroding away and theres nothing I can do about it. As I said in a previous post" do these people who are making these decisions know what they are doing to us or do they even care" . I had pride before but even thats been taken away. I wish I could sue them for the pain and anguish they are causing. I think Im a kind and caring person and would never intentionally hurt anyone so it makes it worse to see they hurt and anguish they are forcing on myself and others. Ive even thought of ending things and citing the treatment off the DWP and hopefully it would get on the news and bring our plight into the media but as the media seems to be anti the disabled I doubt it would even be mentioned.