• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Opos Limited/DERS/Mucky Hall/QuickQuid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.....

Their consumer credit license says they do not have permission to canvass "off trade premises".

Going by their form for telephone harassment and chasing statute barred debt they are hardly in the reputable category so who knows? They also have a very high proportion of staff from mackenzie Hall, including management so it's fair to say that their business model / culture / dna is probably of the most disgusting kind.

Either way, if they sent someone around, that can only be seen as an opportunity to have som fun :whoo:

So it's entirely possible that, as MH haven't yet been able to scare me with their increasingly silly coloured letters, that they have decided to try a different tack and pass on this debt to Opos and they are now trying to cintact me via email - what a shame they don't have any contact numbers for me - and nor do MH so they can't try and bully me over the phone.

Feebee_71

All very interesting, I received a letter yesterday dated Thursday (when I emailed them and told them to write to me if they genuinely had any business with me) informing me that they are indeed chasing the account that MH are wanting payment of and which I have offered token payment due to being on benefits at present. MH have refused to even acknowledge my offer and decided to set an amount for repayment more than 50 times what was offered to them!!

As Opos can do nothing more than write to me and threaten me with all sorts of terrible outcomes - I don't have children or a dog so they can't take them and I'm not actually scared of these silly so and so's!!

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they come out with next as their letter was dated the same day as they required receipt of the reduced payment in settlement of the account which, as far as I understand, they can't have got in the post knowing whether I'd paid it or not - especially as the letter arrived on the 19th and was sent 1st class and was dated the 18th.

Here goes another case of send the same offer and sit back while they get incandescent about being offered something which will take more than 50 years to pay back!!

Feebee_71

Ok,

Since the last post on here there have been a couple of developments...........

Firstly I receiced an email from a company called OPOS demanding I contact them on a phone number. I replied that I did not recognise their company name nor was I aware of any reason they had for contacting me, that my personal email address was usually only for personal correspondence and not for random companys to contact me. I requested that, if they believed they had a legitimate reason for contacting me then they could contact me by letter at my home address. At the same time I posted on here about this company and received a couple of replies.

Two days later I received a letter from OPOS saying they were now chasing the QQ account. They said I had not given MH any legitimate reason for not paying them the money demanded, conveniently ignoring the token payment offered by myself to MH ages ago which MH themselves ignored and demanded sums many times that amount. I chose not to reply to OPOS at the time as it appeared that they were simply chasing for MH just using a different name to try and ilicit a different response from me.

Now, today I have received a letter from a company called DERS (Debt Enforcement & Recovery Service) stating -

they have been advised by OPOS LTD that I have refused to make any payment or agree a suitable repayment plan on my account despite them being unaware of any reason I may have for avoiding the matter. They go on to say they are left with no alternative but to consider my account for recovery of outstanding balance through the local County/Sheriff Court. Court fees and solicitors costs will be added to the balance for which I am liable, plus statutory interest, which will accrue at a rate of 8% PA above base (I thought that the 8% was fixed not above whatever the base rate of interest was) whereby the following action will be considered upon reciept of Judgement/Decree (so, they've already decided that I will have judgement entered against me and will not make payment within the 28 days allowed before a CCJ is entered against me) :-

* Arrestment/Attachment of earnings at my place of employment - hmm, I'm unemployed so they can attach at £1/month from my benefits and still get what I offered MH!!

* Poinding/Warrant of Execution by Sheriff/Bailiff Officers upon items of value at my premises - hmm, (not sure what poinding is) but, if they can gain access to my 2nd floor flat, they'll be doing well and there is no vehicle at this address registered or owned by me so good luck to them!!

* Securing monies owed via an Inhibition;Charge order against my property - I live in a rented property and have no property for them to attach a charging order to.

They trust that I will now give this matter my full attention and remit to themselves the full balance outstanding within 7 daus of receipt. Unfortunately, should I choose to ignore this dociment then proceedings, if instigated, will be done without further notice.

They recommend that I take this opportunity to resolve this issue. Should I wish to discuss this matter further I must contact them within 7 days of receipt on - 0844 372 2459.

Now, I am tempted to write to them and refer them back to MH and the letter sent my myself on XX date when I made an offer of repayment at a rate affordable to me given my current circumstances which I informed them of at the time of making the offer.

I should say that, under client name, they have it as Mackenzie Hall Quick Quid.

What does anyone think I should do next?

Feebee_71

Edited by Feebee_71
Spacing and paragraphs

Oh, forgot to add, at the very bottom of the letter where DERS tell me OPOS 'have advised them' there is, in much smaller text font and very pale, a single line stating 'Debt Enforcement & Recovery Service is a trading style of Opos Ltd and their office address!! And, at the top of the letter in RED ITALIC CAPITAL LETTERS, it says FINAL NOTICE OF INTENT

Oh, so one office monkey has told another office monkey that the email and letter didn't work so they'd better try and turn the screw again and involve another company name as it might just make me respond to them!!

Feebee_71

Edited by Feebee_71
addad something

Well, I have updated this on my thread about the debt passed on to MH by QQ but thought I would put something on here as well.

This morning I have received a letter from a company called DERS claiming to have been informed by Opos that I've refused to make payment on the account blah blah blah..........

Well, seeing as DERS are part of Opos it seems they are trying to trick me into believing the account has been sent on to another company.

I have asked for advise on my other thread as to what to do next so it will be interesting to see what I'm advised to do.

Feebee_71

Well, I have updated this on my thread about the debt passed on to MH by QQ but thought I would put something on here as well.

This morning I have received a letter from a company called DERS claiming to have been informed by Opos that I've refused to make payment on the account blah blah blah..........

Well, seeing as DERS are part of Opos it seems they are trying to trick me into believing the account has been sent on to another company.

I have asked for advise on my other thread as to what to do next so it will be interesting to see what I'm advised to do.

Feebee_71

the last letter i had from der said i would get a visit within 14 days, only 2 more days to go now!!!!

i have not spoke to MH nor opos and was thinking of just waiting to see if they give up is that a bad idea?

Hi Foxtrotoscar,

Thanks for the comment, in the letter they sent me (see my thread in the QQ section of the PDL forum) there is no mention of a doorstep visit but threats of taking me to County/Sheriffs court and then pour all sorts of plagues upon me following them obtaining judgement against me!!

I will be interested in the next step in this saga!!

Feebee_71

• 2 months later...

This has been round another corner and I have now received a letter from Meritfarce informing me that they have been instructed to collect the debt on their behalf.

Unfortunately for them they don't seem to have had anyone proof read the letter before sending it out as, they clearly state - An authorised collector MAY make a visit to my property within the next 10 days. Am I supposed to be scared of someone who MAY call at my property - not that I have a property as a tennant!!

Something tells me they are getting desperate to try and get me to communicate with them again, they have never acknowledged my original letter to MH making a reasonable offer based on my current circumstances.

As a result of this merry go round I have also received a letter (a while ago now) informing me that MHDP Ltd have taken ownership of a debt from a few years ago and which I've received no communication about for at least 4-5 years. Not that I'm going to communicate with them regarding the matter if they decide to contact me again about it.

Feebee_71

I've had four of the Meritfarce "An authorised collector will make a visit to your property within the next 10 days". letters. Still waiting. After those were ignored it returned to muck hall for them to have another go. After a total of 15 letters from them i decided to let them in on the fact that the alledged debt was actually statute barred. That was the end of them.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this has come up previously but

I was contacted by the above company by email

so decided to go and find out what I could about them as the name is new to me (not that I'm an expert or anything!!) I found the following article from Credit Today

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/article/14073/online-news/new-dca-springs-up-in-scotland

It's interesting because the account they have contacted me about was assigned to Muck Hall

and I sent them a letter offering £1/month (unemployed) which they ignored.

I have since been sent letters by OPOS and DERS which I've chosen not to acknowledge as I'm still waiting for MH to respond to my letter.

Now I am being contacted by a company started up by 2 former MH employees

- one of whom is the person East Ayrshire Trading Standards tell you you must contact regarding complaints about MH!!!

Despite what they claim in their letter they have made no attempts to contact me

- they don't have my phone number and have sent me nothing except this one email.

Feebee_71

whats the debt all about?

sounds like a lemon debt

brought from a phishing list

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx,

It's a debt to a pdl company that became a problem when I lost my job a year ago.

It's not so much the debt I'm commenting on, more the newest addition to the Scottish DCA ranks that I was bringing to attention - and the fact that the people behind it have come from the company that were asigned it by the OC.

Feebee_71

yes we are aware of them.

there a thread on them somewhere.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah our old friend ROB SANDS showing up in his new guise!!

He was MHs Compliance director for some years.

Send this lot a CCA request for a start.

If they have not stated exactly what they are chasing ignore

them until they do.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

They have said what it is they are chasing - figure is correct too (and it hasn't changed since it went from pdl company to MH last year). Interestingly they do say they will consider reducing the settlement figure or extending the payment period!!!

So far all I've had is the one email, so will wait until I see sight of a written letter from them before I do anything and then will request they ask MH about the letter sent last year!

Feebee_71

Ooh, I'm really scared now (does it sound like it?) as I've had another identical email from the delightful people at MRS.

I'm so scared it's going to get the same treatment as the last one!!

Feebee_71

One advantage [apart from cost] of sending an email is that it can be possible for the sender to know that it has been read. Unlike letters where so many go astray and it is easy to say

that you never received the letter.

One could always say that the email wasn't opened by you but that might be pushing credulity a bit.

Not a problem, once you know who an email address belongs to you can add it to the blocked senders list and never be troubled by them again - alternatively, you can leave them to arrive and simply delete them when you open your junk file and see them there, then the sender has no idea!!

Alternatively, if the email doesn't concern the person who receives it, and they choose not to respond to the DCA then the DCA has no idea what has happened to it other than it was opened at some point after they sent it!!

Feebee_71

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough I have now received another notice of assignment for something else that Mucky Hall were chasing me for - something that's been on my file for a good few years (4 or more to date with no acknowledgement and no payment made) - from these clowns who were MH in their previous posts.

I think this is one of those situations where another company is set up to make it look as if your account is being escalated further up the food chain when in reality it's just moving from one desk to another in the same overall company!!!

On the matter of the first account they contacted me about I rang them and suggested they contact MH to ask them why they've chosen to ignore a letter that was sent around 12 months ago detailing my situation and offering what I could afford. Funnily enough they tried to flim flam me about them being just a litigation company and not a standard debt collection company!!

Tough luck, they might think they can scare me but they can't and they can't get blood out of a stone!! I wonder what the next letter will bring??

Feebee_71