TeeSee

Swinton Car Insurance

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5001 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

My wife has recently had an attempted theft of her car. As it is it a fairly old car we're expecting it to be written off as it's worth just a few hundred pounds. However we'll probably not be able to buy another as money's tight at the moment and with the little we're expecting from the insurance plus the 100 excess we have to pay I don't think we'll be able to stretch to another too easily. Luckily I work in the same town as I live so we'll car share.

However, when she popped into Swinton yesterday and enquired if the car was written off could she get a refund on her policy, she was told that there would be no refund as the "insurance company [Fortis] needs to reclaim it's losses".

Since the policy is only 3 months old today this means that of the original 200 pounds price they should be really be refunding about 150 ish, which to us is a lot of money.

I'm aware that there is probably an administration fee involved in cancelling a policy but surely they still can't withold the full value on such a tentative excuse?

With an expected offer of only 350 pounds and having to shell out 100 excess, plus the loss of her no-claims bonus we'll be the ones losing, but it sounds to me we're expected to buoy up the poor insurance company's losses even more by having to forfeit the rest of the policy money.

Can anyone shed any light on our rights here?

Thanks in advance

Hello!

This is a common problem.

Please could you look at the terms and conditions for me and let me know if anything is written about cancellation of the policy following a total loss?

Many thanks

LOULA

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5001 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you