UK credit default and moving to the Netherlands

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help!

I took out a contract with Vodafone in Feb 2010. In Sept 2010 I moved to The Netherlands for a year. Once I had got to The Netherlands I saw the direct debit for my contract had stopped going out of my account, I have no idea why as I did not instruct the bank or Vodafone to do this. As a 21 year old student enjoying life in The Netherlands the last thing on my mind was to resolve this over a sim card I wasn't using which I now regret.

Get home this September and a month later Lowells (who seem infamous) write demanding £312 for a debt with Vodafone.This was to my parents house in Edinburgh and not my one in Aberdeen. Checked my credit rating and I have a lovely default on my history.

Now I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I am moving to The Netherlands next June permanently, I am under the impression the default will not affect me in Holland, as I start with a new Dutch credit history so I will be ok getting mortgages etc within six years? Is this correct?

Not sure if my 2nd question can be answered, but to my dismay I found how companies background checks can now cover credit history. My girlfriend has a job with an American company in Holland who used a company called Kroll to search her background, asking her for her addresses for the past five years. No idea what they searched for however. When I gain employment in The Netherlands is it likely a search like this will cover my UK credit history and affect my chances of employment? ( Pretty sure I won't be working in finance handling jobs).

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Now I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I am moving to The Netherlands next June permanently, I am under the impression the default will not affect me in Holland, as I start with a new Dutch credit history so I will be ok getting mortgages etc within six years? Is this correct?

Yes.

When I gain employment in The Netherlands is it likely a search like this will cover my UK credit history and affect my chances of employment? ( Pretty sure I won't be working in finance handling jobs).
It shouldn't, nor should they be using credit data from the UK. AFAIK it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi jinpan,

Further to cerbs' reply I'd be happy to take a closer look at the account in question here to see what happened.

If you'd like to get in touch with the details of the account could you follow the contact information in our pinned thread here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?213340-Vodafone-Webteam-for-Customers-With-Problems?

Once you've sent it you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. So I can make sure it reaches us could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK