• Tweets

• Ok just an update sent my DQ recorded delivery, received by court 18/07/24, nothing yet showing on mcol. Deadline is Monday 22/07/24. Hopefully shows on before
    • So, the two child benefit cap is going to (rightly or wrongly) be a big issue, with the care of kids undoubtedly taking second place to political point scoring  ... Some think that parents should be responsible for kids, and the state pay as little as possible else the parents will just use having kids (which they then neglect) as a means of income for them to spend on fags and booze. Some think that benefits should be effectively there for anyone whatever the circumstances.   So what do people think might be some sort of solution?   I think that both those stances are extremes,  and you can be sure of just a few things 1. Neither or any approach fits all affected. There are some who will abuse the system, just as there are some left in genuine desperate need. 2. None of its the kids fault, and how they are treated will have a large impact on our nations future.   So, despite the claims of 'it means only rich people can have kids' which is rubbish, I think the cap should stay. ... BUT that free school meals should be introduced for all state school kids:   Which would * ensure our nations children kids get fed at least one meal a day with the funds intended for that * be a significant incentive to go to school for the poorer kids at least - keeping many off the streets and away from bad company * almost certainly reduce problems and increase productivity in the classroom from irritable hungry kids (per stats)   Not a perfect solution by any means - but seems a positive move to me.    
    • and more positive change From next year, mobile phone, paid television and broadband companies must inform customers of any price rises at the point of sale. The changes, ordered by Ofcom, will come into force on 17 January and mean that any mid-contract price rises must be given “in pounds and pence” and in a “clear and comprehensible” way.   Taken a change of government to do it after years of bluster about it eh?   Mobile phone companies banned from hiking prices mid-contract based on inflation WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The new year plan ensures providers are transparent on prices at the point of sale  
    • Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? It depends which country, I imagine. Most UK banks want proof of address and ID, probably more. If your friend/partner can use the house address and provide bills that could help. You would need to look at various online banks and see what their requirements are. Or there are expat accounts but I haven't looked closely at how they work. Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage) I'd have thought the DWP would pay to a new account, as long as the person they're authorised to deal with asks them and provides details. The international pensions people in Newcastle are pretty helpful.
    • HB - he has certainly given me a challenge ! I set a plan in motion. A refinance plan that would have enabled me to take time to sell one asset and sort out another for him.   The bank account blockage has hindered the plan.  His partner seems to think I can do everything w/o paying anyone for anything.  I don't mind helping - but it's not normal to clear out 2 properties, organize storage or sale of possessions, get properties ready for sale/ rent - w/o being paid.  He has the money to pay for things and services - and for my help - but the blockage prevents that. If the refinance plan could still be actioned then at least I would have some time to sell one asset.  Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage)
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I can't close my Barclays business account - seemingly

dch1950
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

about 14 months ago I was looking for a bank to use for my business start up. I was going to be a web based business and opened an account with Barclays (L/Spa branch). However, it soon became obvious to me that the bank (and my "relationship manager") weren't up to task so at a meeting at the branch I asked for the account to be closed. I transferred all balances out, returned security code device etc,etc.

This was Sep 2010. I thought no more about this, even when the odd letter arrived from Barclays. I assumed they hadn't notofied some other part of their system.

Earlier this year (April 2011) I received a statement for this closed account which showed a balance of £1.08p. Now bear in mind this account was at best inactive and as far as I was concerned - closed. I rang their help number, complained and was told the account wasn't closed as it had a positive balance (£1.08p). I said this was ridiculous, give the money to charity and do what I asked originally and close the account. I was told that this would be done.

Most recently (Sept 2011) I received a letter saying that charge changes were to made on my account - Hmmmmm. I rang again and complained. No real response here though. I have subsequently written to Barclays in Leicester (3 Nov 2011) but have not received a reply. I have received a letter (dated 3/11/11) which tells me my account is now overdrawn due to charges being levied on the account. Charges for what ?

I am now at a total loss as to what to do - 1 meeting, 2 phone calls, 1 letter and I'm just being ignored. The only transactions on this virtual account are those by Barclays (which caused it to go overdrawn !).

If they think I'm going to go back to them (because they've kept my account open for me -:|) they are mistaken - but my question is how do stop this.

Ant help would be gratefully received.

regards

Dave H

Business "RelationshipManagers" Just tout for Business.I would say Financial Ombudsman.Quickest way is Write Directly TO The Chief Executive that always gets it done.Leicester is a Dead letterbox no-one picks up the mail.I worked for Rbs at the time the moved it to Liverpool I think even though they still show Leicester address!.I used to deal with Barclays daily and getting through to them even as another bank was/is a nightmare, no-one wanted that Barclays file in the morning.It was always an all-day job.

Hi Dch,

Do not involve the FOS - this will be a slow frustrating process which ultimately fails to get you anywhere.

I would make a brief complaint direct to Barclays London HQ.

Also, check you Credit Reference files to ensure no adverse credit markers have been made about the a/c that will affect your name.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have finally managed to resolve this matter. After I had not heard from Leics or Leamington branches I decided to try the 0845 # again and entered into what I was fully expecting to be the usual pointless exchange :-(. Much to my surprise the lad taking my call actually seemed concerned and tried to do something for me. Well, well you could have knocked me down with a brick! He cross checked with credit reference agencies for me to ensure no "non-payment " problems had arisen, then said the account would be closed forthwith (as I had originally requested in 2010). I would also receive the written confirmation I required.

I am pleased that this young man did evryhing he said would and actually listened to my complaint - Hallelujah and well done Vinash. To finalise a letter (including apologies) has been received and all would appear to be well. Still I'll give it a while just to check.

If it is of interest I have a "new" address for Barclays Customer Relations (:whoo:)

Barclays Business Customer Relations

P.O Box 708

Leeds

LS1 9FD

Tel: 0845 300 4149.

My view is that this still seems a little covert, but still it's better than a dead letter drop address.

regards

Dave

PS seems you must persist and you will get the system to talk to you.

D

Hi Dch and thanks for the update.

It's great to hear that there are still staff who can listen to a complaint and act effectively to resolve it.

Barclays and Barclaycard just need to find a few more to man their phone lines.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Please let us know if the problem is unresolved

• 1 year later...

Barclays are the pits, they take weeks to respond to letters of authority, and when you get fed up of them do everything they can to stop you switching. My mother who is terminally ill in hospital wrote to them asking to move her savings, they have dealt with her by letter on and off for over 20 years as she is disabled following a stroke, (cant speak either) yet when she wanted to move the cheery reply was could she drop in to the branch they do not have a record of her signature! The local branch know full well she is a disabled 82 year old with a terminal illness. What is this about?

Hi CPH and welcome to CAG.

If you want to discuss your case, please feel free to start your own thread in the Barclays forum.

:wink: