Mis-sold Lifetime Guarantee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a vauxhall corsa from Stoneacre in Wigan, April this year. Test drive went really well, and because I was part exchanging my 1.4 for the 1.2 I figured it would be better insurance wise andbetter saving on fuel. I signed a hire-purchase agreement to get finance on the car and pay it off monthly. Unfortunately the issue I've got is the "Lifetime Guarantee" that they offer. It sounded really good as they said parts and labour are included aswell as covering the parts of the car..but they said it was included when I bought the car. Not the case, I had my car in that garage with an engine problem that they constantly said was not the issue until I got an official vauxhall dealership to confirm the problem. I took my lifetime guarantee too them and said that it covers this particular part, but they said it has to fail to be covered. So as you can tell I wasn't very happy at this point. I rang an complained to the manager and finlly they took my car in to fix..which took a week due to not having the correct equipment. The terms of my guarantee are that it will only be valid if my car is serviced by their garage, which worked out at £240...I can get that much cheaper else where and the unprofessionalism of the garage gave me a bad impression so I will not be having my car serviced by them thus voiding my guarantee. And now I have found out the guarantee was not free, it has cost a total of £1,041 because they have added interest on top of it. I filed this as mis-sold and the finance company are investigating at this time. Because I don't want or need this guarantee do I have any case to get the money off the finance agreement as it is adding £17 extra a month. I've read reviews of similar cases and they said that the guarantee should have been offered as an add-on for a fee of £655..but as I have no proof what they said.. Upon reading through my agreement I've noticed a few of the signatures do not match mine, yet my name is printed next to them saying that I have agreed. It has been about 4 weeks since the investigation and so I am currently awaiting a reply to find out if I need to take this further. After reading many relevant threads on this forum, you people really know your stuff :-D so if theres any help you can give me, I would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Adam

I'm unsure about the vauxhall guarantee, this is Stoneacre's own Lifetime Guarantee which is meant to cover parts and labour, should anything go wrong with the car. I've heard salesman telling other customers that the guarantee is included in their price of the car but on the credit agreement it states £655 plus £386 interest = £1,041

Yes its just the guarantee that I would like to sort, the car I don't mind paying for even though I was only intending to pay £4000 I'm ending up paying about £6500 but with this "guarantee" its added an extra £1000.

The guarantee is going to be void if I don't have my car serviced by that garage but after reading many reviews about the service quality I'm not paying £240 where I can get one by vauxhall themselves cheaper.

So are you saying that the guaerantee that vauxhall advertise on the telly as "Lifetime" is not actually included in the price, that you have to pay extra like an insurance?

kurvaface, that guarantee is only on brand new cars and is also limited to 100,000 miles (which may not be very "lifetime" of a car) and is only valid for the original purchaser as it is not transferable to a new owner. How many people buy a brand new car then keep it forever?

I am sure there are many other "conditions" to this lifetime warranty which I think is more of an advertising sales gimmick than a true valuable feature.

Following action by the OFT in 2004, all major makes of new car in the UK are sold without servicing ties as part of their warranties. This means that the manufacturer’s warranty and any extension offered free, such as the dealer based extended warranty are covered by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited (SMMT) OFT Approved code of practice (see www.smmt.co.uk).

I think you could challenge the warranty saying you 'must' have the car serviced there as an unfair term under the The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999

You couldn't challenge it Conniff as it's not the manufactuers warranty that the claim relates to. It's the garages own "Lifetime Guarantee". The will in reality be an insurance policy sold as a warranty/gurantee and as such probably has a contractural condition that the vehicle must be serviced by them.Unfortunately all perfectly legal and above board.

Even if the car had come from a Vauxhall dealership, the manufactuers warranty will probably still not apply if over a certain age and won't apply if the second owner.

Now this raises an interesting point about the Vauxhall warranty currently offered on new cars. What happens to it on pre redgistered cars which Vauxhall are prone to do and also what happens to dealer demonstators as the general public won't be the first owner so apparently won't benefit from the "Lifetime or 100,000 mile warranty. Bet the salespeople skirt around that one!! What is the official Vauxhall warranty on a 3 month old demonstrator???

Seem to remember when this ad came out some of us commented on how misleading it appeared to be.

I was trying to get across that as the orig warranty tie in was adjudged to be unfair so was curbed, then maybe this could be as well.

I'm going to look into this, I don't like these sort of things where they give you some good oh, only to realise later that you have been seen off and the costs works out to be even more than going to the top in the begining.

this guarantee and at the moment I'm planning on getting a loan and just paying the final settlement fee and then hopefully if I do claim some sort of refund that will be nice as well. After looking at the total amount payable it looks like I owe £11,000 over the 5 year term, but I am positive they have added the deposit of my previous car instead of deducting, and I even paid a £500 deposit, but I'm unsure if that gets deducted too.

My final settlement works out at £5930, but I'm not sure how they work out this figure. Does anyone know?

There is something else I have also noticed recently on my agreement. Whilst reading through the agreement I was looking through my copy with all my signatures. I hadn't noticed at first but there only seems to be 3 out of 6 signatures that resemble mine, but I'm not sure how to prove this. I know even though I was anxious about the new car that I still would never rush my signature and the first 3 look more-a-less identical but the last 3 seem to be more of a squiggle with my name Printed at the side..not written by me though. My sister was with me at the time but obviously I doubt she would have been watching how I sign things, but she feels there could have been an act of fraud on the agreement as the signatures just look nothing like I would do.

I also did read that there is a 14 cooling off period to cancel the agreement and that was something I felt I'd lost on as I should have acted within that time. However, the small print underneath this says even if you cancel the finance agreement, you must still purchase the car and warranty/insurance with cash or a loan.

What would you think of this?

I don't think there is long left in this investigation but I've had other members of my family who've worked in the finance business look at my signatures but they do claim that although they do look fairly different chances are it is my signature just initialed as I use to do my signature slightly different each time. After reading countless stories regarding finance I don't feel I'm in the same position as others on this forum who I really do feel sorry for. I'm happy the car is running fine but it was down to me contacting Vauxhall themselves getting a check done by them to then have to complain the stoneacre's manager to get it through to them that this was the fault that needed fixing not what they had stated. But it was the un-professionalism I was unahppy with, the garage took nearly a week to fix it but at least supplied me with a courtesy car. I've read reviews from others who have had their car serviced by Stoneacre and they have stated to steer clear so I understand that if I don't have it serviced at that garage then my guarantee (that I was not told was £655+interest on top of that) will be classed as void. The major mistake i made was even when my car finance went through they had stated I had paid the £500 deposit without even taking my card..I thought it was a general mistake but after a week nothing had been taken, so my honesty took over me and I went to the garage and paid my deposit so do you think that if I did take it to the fos If anything would the dealership see that I helped them out for a mistake they made, and at least refund me my deposit back? At that point I had faith in the garage and all was going fine.

• 4 years later...

Thread is 4 and half years old, lifetime.................................up.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.