just got court summons really worried

Robot_roo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone

I just got home and recieved a county court summons, claimant robinson way ltd

I have 14 days, im not sure what to do, around 4 years ago I had an overdraft with abbey and when i fell out of work they withdrew the overdraft, they said they had sent a letter 6 weeks prior to this saying they were going to do this, but i dont ever remeber receiving it. one day i checked my bank account and all of a sudden i was 1400 dr with no overdraft. This left me in a dire financial trouble as my single parent benefit got swallowed up with it. I spoke to one of them on the phone and they said I would have to start a new bank acount somewhere else, which i felt was harsh as I had been a good customer for many years.

do I have any line of defence? could i still try to go for the bank charges? which is almost as much as what I owe?

Roo

Hi rob

I think the best thing to do is scan, post the document, removing all personal details inclusing reference numbers, try not to panic, it's a case of dealing with it.

As for the charges, it seems that you have suffered 'Hardship', the Lending Code says that the bank should treat you fairly.

http://www.itv.com/daybreak/money/martinlewissection/bankcharges/

Also did they put the interest rate up?

For the time being - information only:- http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/DCA:_Using_CPR_31.14_to_Your_Advantage

thanks for you speedy reply I really appreciate it, im really worried. I dont have a scanner but here is the particulars of the claim, its from northampton county court

"the claimant is the assignee of a debt(s) from abbey national plc. Notice of assignment was provided to the defendent by the claimant in writting.Despite demand for payment the assigned debt(s) remains due. the claimant complied with section III and IV and annex B of the PD pre-action conduct.

And the claimant claims:

current account account number xxxxx balance of 1,617.03 as of 13/5/07. Interest under s69 of the county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from the default date(s) to

8/11/11 of 581.24 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.35 and costs. "

Is there any law that abbey may have broke due to them taking my benefit money and leaving me with no money to live on?

Which at the time caused severe hardship.

I would really like to fight abbey over the way they treated me, is it possible to make my defence around this?

Or should i go for the bank charges?

I really dont know what to do, when should I fill in the court form? I have 14 days

Or should I just roll over and give in?

Edited by Robot_roo
changed post info

There isn't a law as such. But there is a Lending code that Santander signed up too.

http://www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk/docs/lendingcode.pdf

Have you got evidence of your Hardship, benefits etc.?

Is there any law that abbey may have broke due to them taking my benefit money and leaving me with no money to live on?

Which at the time caused severe hardship.

I would really like to fight abbey over the way they treated me, is it possible to make my defence around this?

Or should i go for the bank charges?

I really dont know what to do, when should I fill in the court form? I have 14 days

Or should I just roll over and give in?

Just Google the relevant year, Lending Code, should throw up the relevant document.

just read the pdf file they never helped me in anyway and I was struggling with things bouncing like mad!! Is this document relevent to a few years ago as it says 2011?

I'm going to try and defend my case on the basis of abbey breaking the code of conduct that they should have followed when dealing with my hardship, I'm going to start writting out my reply, any help or thoughts would be really appreciated

Roo

If you draft a response and post it on here we'll see if we can help. :-)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This is my defence so far. Can I submit my defence online with the courts as I dont have very long left?

My defence

I believe that abbey national PLC mismanaged my account and did not follow the code of banking standards that they were subscribed to at the time of this debt. Abbey did not help me or offer to give assistance in anyway and removed my overdraft facility at a time that I was suffering with financial hardship which caused this debt to myself.

If they had followed the code of banking standards to which they were subscribed, this debt and the severe financial hardship that I suffered as a result of there behaviour towards my account would not have happened.

Hi Robot Roo

Rebel as asked I pop in.I assume the claim is from Northampton CCBC and as such you have 33 days in total so don't panic yet.5 deemed served so 28 days (14 to acknowledge and a further 14 to submit a defence) assuming you are going to defend all.Claims from Northampton are done through MCOL so all can be done on line (including defence).

First thing is to total all unfair charges and interest and any default charges so we have a figure to play with.(assuming you have all statements) if not you will have to do a CPR 31.14 or CPR 18 request subject to how they have plead their particulars.

If you could type out their Particulars of Claim verbatim (less any identifiable) and a ball park fig claimed.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

hello and thankyou for your reply, sorry about the delay in my reply I have been working away from home for a couple of days with no internet access.The issue date is the 8th November,I do have my statements.

I dont have a scanner but here is the particulars of the claim, its from northampton county courtlink3.gif

"the claimant is the assignee of a debt(s) from Abbeylink3.gif national plc. Notice of assignment was provided to the defendent by the claimant in writting.Despite demand for payment the assigned debt(s) remains due. the claimant complied with section III and IV and annex B of the PD pre-action conduct.

And the claimant claims:

current account account number xxxxx balance of 1,617.03 as of 13/5/07. interestlink3.gif under s69 of the county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from the default date(s) to

8/11/11 of 581.24 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.35 and costs. "

Edited by Robot_roo
more info

hello and thankyou for your reply, sorry about the delay in my reply I have been working away from home for a couple of days with no internet access.The issue date is the 8th November,I do have my statements. Can you calculate a figure of unfair charges?

I dont have a scanner but here is the particulars of the claim, its from northampton county courtlink3.gif

"the claimant is the assignee of a debt(s) from Abbeylink3.gif national plc. Notice of assignment was provided to the defendent by the claimant in writting.Despite demand for payment the assigned debt(s) remains due. the claimant complied with section III and IV and annex B of the PD pre-action conduct.

And the claimant claims:

current account account number xxxxx balance of 1,617.03 as of 13/5/07. interestlink3.gif under s69 of the county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from the default date(s) to

Ok the points in red are of significant importance and you need to request copies of these references via CPR

NoA (Notice of Assignment)

Demands for payments (statements / Arrears Notices / Recall Notice)

section III and IV and annex B of the PD pre-action conduct. (LBAs)

current account account number xxxxx ( copy of any Overdraft Agreement Not CCA)

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread