• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Roberto vs MBNA

roberto
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having been successful with Halifax claim thought I'd now take on the might of MBNA.

Have sent them a Data Protection letter which they received on 3rd September 2006 and enclosed a cheque for £10.00 had letter back stating they are looking into my complaint and will respond before the 2nd October 2006.

Been looking through few of the threads on MBNA and seems they cave in very quickly and alot of people have contacted them by phone. Is this a good idea?:-|

Rang MBNA this morning and spoke to a lady. She looked into if they had sorted out my claim yet and informed me that I should receive my statements by 2nd October 2006 as they have a backlog of claims. Has anyone else been told this or are they stringing me along?

If you used the SAR template for the library then technically they would have until the 13th of October or 40 days from date of postage to get your statements back to you.

If they say that you should have them by the 2nd then that is in the allotted time.

Hsbc...Data Protection Act letter sent 28/6, statements recieved 21/7

prelim letter sent 25/9......lba sent 16/10

MBNA.... Data Protection Act letter sent 26/9

Then going in for the rest!!!!!

Indeed, I just called them regarding my MBNA accounts, and have been offered a settlement figure which included compound interest etc... :)

SMILE VISA & CURRENT 15th August - Data Protection Act sent

MBNA VISA (3 of them) 21st August - Data Protection Act sent

MBNA 21st September - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data + Good will gesture received.

SMILE 26th September - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data received.

MBNA 28th September - Settled in full with compound interest!!!

SMILE 28th September - Prelim Letter sent

SMILE 12th October - LBA sent

What did you tell them when you rang as I was told I had to wait until 2nd October when they will reply to SAR letter which they received early September. I was hoping they would just settle my account over the phone as we go on holiday on 3rd october and wanted it sorting out by then.

I had to wait for the SAR data to arrive and when they did reply they included all a list of all of their charges and offer me a goodwill payment of 50%, and basically said the cheques (I have three accounts) will be sent out. I called them after I had that information and firstly thanked them for the payments so far, but pointed out that the goodwill payments were only 50% of the total figure, and that there was no mention of compound interest. I think they pretty much know the drill by now! :)

SMILE VISA & CURRENT 15th August - Data Protection Act sent

MBNA VISA (3 of them) 21st August - Data Protection Act sent

MBNA 21st September - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data + Good will gesture received.

SMILE 26th September - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) data received.

MBNA 28th September - Settled in full with compound interest!!!

SMILE 28th September - Prelim Letter sent

SMILE 12th October - LBA sent

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advise please!!!

I have received a letter from MBNA stating that they are giving me £150.00 goodwill payment. They have returned my £10.00 cheque and sent me a from to fill out if I want my statements for the past 6 years. They have also enclosed a break down of charges from 4/1/05 to 1/9/06 which doesn't cover the six years I requested. My account was originally with Sonycard and transfered over to MBNA a couple of years ago. I assume they will have records of the charges I was charged by Sonycard as MBNA took over from them.

Not sure what to do next as they have not complied with the subject access request I sent them.

Should I ring this Steve Bailey on the letter and discuss it with him and see if I can get the cash out of him as from what I've read on the site alot of people have had joy down this route.

Give Paul Miney a call and explain you havnt receved a list of all the charges. Explain that you came from a sonycard which may explain it.

He'll probably offer to settle over the phone once he has got all the charges.

Dan

thanks Dan,

Tried ringing them today and getting this sorted out and just ended up been passed around. Explained evry thing to them about 4 times to 3 different people and was told would have to pay £2.50 per statement which is quite alot over the past 6 years. Not sure what to do if anyone has any advice please help as stuck now. Have sent subject access request nd got back a letter giving me £150.00 and a list of charges only going back to January 2005 which is not what I requested. They also sent me a form to fill in requesting the statements and enclose a cheque for £10.00 and a photocopy of my driving licence or passport. If anyone has any phone numbers and had this sorted over the phone then please share them with me as very fustrated at present.

thanks for the help Dan. I've phoned them today and apparently because my credit card was a Sonycard which transfered over to MBNA they have to order me the statements as they can only go back to the time it transfered over. Paul Miney called me back and has order the statements and is going to call me again when he receives them from Sonycard. He reckons this will be by the 1st November. I'm hoping he will just add all the charges up and work out the compound interest for me and offer a refund.

I will update the thread when I hear anything from them.

Once again thanks to everyone who helped me.

Rob

thanks for the advise Dan will be asking for all the charges back with compound interest as that looks like what everyone else has got back.

Not heard anything as yet but will update the thread when I do.

Roberto

when you speak to them make sure you have a schedule of exactly what you think you are entitled to, if you want to check out what i did read my thread, doubled my claim for me.

HTH

Glenn

• Haha 1

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update as to where I am regarding my MBNA claim. I've spoken with them today and they are sending me my statements out in tomorrows post, so once I get them i'm going to use the spreadsheet to work out what they owe me in charges and compound interest. If anyone has any advise please let me know as it's taken them since the 4th September to send me the statements. They reckon with my card being with Sony HBOS until Novemeber 2004 they had to send for the statements.

Will update again when I hear anything, this is proving harder then the Halifax to get my money back.

• 3 weeks later...

sent LBA on 4th November 2006 Mbna state they received it on 8th November 2006. Question is do I give them 14 days from 4th or 8th November. They also have wrote to me and stated that they have 28 days to respond and they will resolve the issue by 5th December 2006. This was supposed to be simple and straight forward and is proving harder then getting money out of Halifax PLC.

it's 14days from when they receved it.

Did you send it recorded? if so it's the date RM delivered it.

Otherwise I beleve it's safe to assume 2 working days after it was posted 1st class.

Have just checked the 4th was a sat so I'd use the 8th .

Did you send the prelim first before sending the LBA?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NatWest £4940 with contract interest prelim sent 13/11/06

Recieved first bogoff letter 18/11/06

HSBC £320 with contract interest, prelim sent 12/11/06

Natwest Visa £825 with contract interest, prelim sent 15/11/06

Barclaycard S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 7/11/06

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 7/11/06

Shell Visa S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 15/11/06

Amex S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 7/11/06

So I make it that their 14 days runs out today and i can file money claim tomorrow then. I checked on royal mail website as I sent it recorded delivery and they delivered it on the 8th November 2006. I don't see why I should wait until the 5th December.