• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Am I on the right benefit?

Fenris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for the ambiguous topic title!

I've just been reading around the forums and I noticed someone say that they're on over £700 a month Incapacity Benefit. Crikey! So it got me thinking, am I on the right benefit, because I get £96 a week and that's it, nothing else.

I'm on Income Support and I had to fight like the Dicken's to get that! I can't work because I've got a rare lung disease, I suffer from clinical depression, I've got IBS which can sometimes be debilitating and I'm hard of hearing. I've got other medical conditions, but they're the big ones. I have tried to get work in the past (before the lung disease manifested) and every job I applied for failed to even send me an acknowledgement letter, so it exacerbated the depression and I just got more and more ill. In the end my GP told me I should go on Incapacity Benefit, but I was told I couldn't get that, but I could get Income Support.

I've been on IS for about three years now and I'm really struggling on the amount I get. I know I shouldn't moan, but when I see people getting several hundred Pounds a month, it does make me wonder if I'm doing something wrong!

I've used the tool on the MSE website and it seems to suggest that I'm on the right benefit, but I wondered if anyone "in the know" knows any better? This is just me being curious really. If everyone says, "Shut up and get on with it!" that's fair enough! Just thought I'd see what others more knowledgeable than I think before I start to pester the benefits people.

As always, thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Fen.

You're on 412.80 a month IB, add on housing and coucil tax benefits (if you're getting it) and it could easily push your income to over £700 a month. To say nothing of things like medicines, etc. I save over £70 per prescription that would count as a benefit.

I think there are age additions. Even then, you wouldn't get anywhere near £700. As above, that £700 might include housing and council tax benefits.

If you are on DLA middle rate care, live alone and over 25 it will be just over £655 pm

If you are on DLA high rate care live alone and over 25 then IS will be just over £715 pm

(This doesn't include the DLA payments.)

I was made homeless in 2006, so I had to move back in with my Mother. So no, I don't get Housing Benefit or any other benefits, just the IS.

I have to admit, I find the whole benefits system highly confusing! I don't consider myself to be a stupid person, but the system seems to be set up in such a way that you need to actively seek advice from people who know the way it works. I mean, how ill do you have to be to get DLA? Or the Premium? What is the Premium anyway? You see what I'm saying? it's so hard to navigate!

I'm not saying I want thousands of Pounds each month, but an extra £100 or even £50 a month would make a big difference to my life right now. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't go out anywhere, I haven't been on holiday since 2001... And yet other people on benefits seem to be able to do all those things and get a hell of a lot more money than I do! In fact, it seems the more "bad" things one does (drink, drugs etc.) the more money one gets from the Government. I'm doing something wrong! I have worked in my life; I spent ten years working 96 hour weeks. I don't want to be ill and I don't want to be on benefits, but I'm unemployable. Who wants to employ someone who might drop dead in a year? I don't know, maybe I should go out and drink my own body weight in Vodka each day; maybe then I'll be worthy of DLA?

Sorry for the rant, but it's really hard living off £96 a week when you know people who've got nothing wrong with them get more than that because they know how to play the game.

To get DLA, (this isn't means tested) you must have care and /or mobility needs which have lasted for 3 months and will last for another 6.

£96 is almost double what people under 25 get. It's also more than what I get per week.

You get the disability premium already. To get the severe disability premium, you must live alone, receive either high or mid rate care DLA and no-one receives carers allowance for you and to get the enhanced disability premium, you must receive higher rate care.

hey sorry i cant help you but im also wondering wether im on the right benifit im currently 20 years of age and have had a problem with my knee for the last 6years i have a buckethandle tear to my cartilidge and my anterior cruciate ligament doesnt work at all so its basically 100% not active, im currently on esa but only recieving £47 pound a week and i have been for the last year and half surely this cant be right becuase how is somebody of my age expected to live off that amount of money and pay rent to my mother?

what is dla and should i bother trying this as ive just arranged myself a medical and ive been told if i pass this i will be backdated from december 2010 so i should be expecting quite abit of money my way if all goes well, they get the figure of £47 pound a week because i get £53 but i recently had to take out a crisis loan due to them not paying me enough and late payments my mother needed rent money so had to put myself in tight situations.

DLA (disability living allowance) is a benefit given to people who have mobility needs and /or need help with care. This benefit isn't income based, nor is it based on what national insurance you've paid.

To get DLA, the needs must be reasonable but you don't have to be getting them. The needs must have lasted for 3 months and last for another 6.

More information can be found here

thanks just rang them and asked them to send me a form to apply, as you say aout needs need to have been for the 3months and to last 6months ive had this problem with my knees for over a year and have an operation on them both next month so most likely wont be lookin at going into work anytime soon, do you personally think ill qualify for dla and does it stop your esa claim?

Thanks for the reply. Is there a link you can point me towards where it defines care and/or mobility issues? I live with my Mum, she's not my carer or anything like that, but she does help me when we're out with my balance issues. Both my inner ears are damaged so I have a tendency to list and fall over from time to time. Not sure if this counts as a mobility issue, would be nice to know.

Like I said above, if people think I'm on the right benefit, that's fine. I just find it frustrating that some people get so much for problems they've bought on themselves, but those of us who're genuinely sick/incapacitated get very little.

I also think the system is very unfair when it comes to housing benefit; because I had to move back in with my retired Mother I don't get any extra housing benefit, but if I lived on my own and had to privately rent I'd get almost £400 a month! Where do the benefits agency think I can get the money to pay my Mother (who's on pension!) rent? Certainly can't be done on £96 a week, I can tell you!

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Mobility is walking and safety outdoors. I receive mobility because whilst I can walk, it's unsafe for me.

Care is things like, getting dressed, cooking a meal, eating, drinking, washing / bathing, getting in and out of bed, social activities, getting around your home, supervision, etc.

You wouldn't be expected to pay your mother rent, because she is a relative she'd be expected to let you live with her rent free. Unless your mother gets a private pension or has loads in the bank, she wouldn't have to pay any rent or council tax, so all you be expected to pay was your share.

You're lucky to be getting £96 per week, most get a lot less.

I also think the system is very unfair when it comes to housing benefit; because I had to move back in with my retired Mother I don't get any extra housing benefit, but if I lived on my own and had to privately rent I'd get almost £400 a month! Where do the benefits agency think I can get the money to pay my Mother (who's on pension!) rent? Certainly can't be done on £96 a week, I can tell you!

But you don't have bills like gas, electric, phone, water, etc. to pay.

Oh, and it can be done on £96 a week. I receive £80 a week and manage.

You wouldn't be expected to pay your mother rent, because she is a relative she'd be expected to let you live with her rent free. Unless your mother gets a private pension she wouldn't have to pay any rent or council tax, so all you be expected to pay was your share.

Urm, mortgage? In a country filled with greedy landlords, some people still have their own home! I may not be expected by Government to pay my Mother any money, but how many parents do you know who'd happily let their adult children live with them rent free? As much as anything else it's not fair on the parent. Surely it's in the Govenment's own interest to award, say, £100 a month rent for people living with parents, rather than pay £400 a month for some landlord who'd got millions?

I'm not going to discuss my Mother's finances on an open forum, but I will say that she gets the same money as full-state pensioners without all the Pension Credit benefits. The Government managed to screw her over because she chose to serve her country. What kind of a world do we live in when people are actively penalised for joining the Forces?

Any housing benefit you got would not be extra it would be for your landlord. Yes the system is very unfair, but how else do you expect them to make the books balance, and make sure the rich are looked after (like landlords receiving £400 for a single room, when you get £53 to live on)?

This is exactly my point: the rich get richer whilst the genuinely sick get poorer and sicker.

But you don't have bills like gas, electric, phone, water, etc. to pay.

How do you figure that? Because I live with my Mother she's expected to pay all the utilities? This is the point I'm making! We have the same bills to pay as everyone else you know!

Oh, and it can be done on £96 a week. I receive £80 a week and manage.

Really? I'd like to know how, because I find it very difficult. Like I said before, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't go out, I can just about afford to run my little 1.4l car. I'd genuinely be interested to know how you manage on £80 a week.

I don't run a car. I rarely go out - maximum of a few times a month. I pay my dad £15 a month for phone insurance and my Virgin box and mum gets between £100 and £200 a month from me. I do get DLA; but most of that goes on saving up for disability stuff.

Really do not understand why you can't afford to pay your mum rent - you get more than what young people living at home get.

How do you figure that? Because I live with my Mother she's expected to pay all the utilities? This is the point I'm making! We have the same bills to pay as everyone else you know!

With the exception of maybe a mobile phone bill, you wouldn't have any bills to pay. You personally don't have the same bills as everyone else. A car is a luxury.

You'd manage if you had to. Be grateful that you're not living on £53.45 a week - that's what most people under 25 get.

I don't run a car. I rarely go out - maximum of a few times a month. I pay my dad £15 a month for phone insurance and my Virgin box and mum gets between £100 and £200 a month from me. I do get DLA; but most of that goes on saving up for disability stuff.

Really do not understand why you can't afford to pay your mum rent - you get more than what young people living at home get.

With the exception of maybe a mobile phone bill, you wouldn't have any bills to pay. You personally don't have the same bills as everyone else. A car is a luxury.

You'd manage if you had to. Be grateful that you're not living on £53.45 a week - that's what most people under 25 get.

You say How many parents would let their grown up children stay at home rent free; I would guess it would be most, especially if their grown up children had no job. We have, and would do it happily rather then let them or our grown up grand children be without somewhere to stay. We're not rich either, being on the minimum pension guarantee.