Accident claim advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can I get some advice on a claim someone has just made against me? This is the story of what happened:

Back in September, I was driving to the hospital to visit my mother who had just had major surgery. The car in front of me turned right and I followed. Just after turning into the road the car in front stopped in order to reverse back around the bend and go back the way she came from. I stopped when I saw her stop leaving a good meter gap. She started reversing without looking behind and drove into me before I had a chance to reverse away from her. I was stationary when she hit me. She smashed my headlight and caused a bit of damage to the bumper. There was no damage to her car. No one was injured. As I was very stressed about my mother and it was my first accident, I stupidly did not take enough information from her. I only got a name and mobile number - no address, registration number or make/model of the car. Stupid, I know but that's what I did.

When I got back to the house after visiting my mum I called my insurance company. They told me that a mobile number wasn't enough info and that I should call her for her registration number and address. I did this and she refused to give me the details saying she wanted to pay me cash and not go through the insurance. So I got a quote from my garage and called her. She said she was happy to pay me but wouldn't have the money until the following week. When I called back the following week, there was no answer and I haven't been able to get through to her since. I sent her a few text messages saying I was going to have to go through the insurance, but did not go through with it. The damage was not expensive so I decided to put it down to experience and wrote it off.....

A couple of days ago I had a call from an insurance company asking me for my registration details for the accident and I have now had a claim against me. She is stating I drove into her and her passenger was injured (lower back and neck pains and headaches). I ahve called my insurance company now and have told them what actually happened and they are going to send me a form for me to draw diagrams of the accident on.

I have a feeling I am not going to come out well from this as:

- She was the first person to make the claim

- The damage is on the front of my car - the car behind is normally to blame

- She has witnesses, I have none

Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I call the police? I klnow I was stupid by not getting her details and by not making a claim straight away. I had a feeling that she wasn't insured as she was so adamant about giving me cash and I stupidly agreed. So angry with her, and also myself!

Any help/advice would be greatfully recieved. And even if it's it bad news (I haven't got a leg to stand on type of thing) I'd rather know sooner than later and know what to expect next.

Thanks