Clamped by CP PLus - Demanding several £100s

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4550 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car was clamped by CP Plus on private land. To release the vehicle, they are demanding several £100s including "previous unpaid tickets". I accept responsibility for the day in question, but not for the previous tickets.

I have offered to pay the charge for the day in question only. They have refused this.

What are my options?

Do I have to pay the total amount and make a claim to recover the disputed portion?

Can I insist that they release my car on payment of the fee for the day in question?

I have refused to pay for now, but I am worried that this will become more difficult if they tow my car.

What thay have demanded is illegal. However, that does not solve the urgent problem of getting the clamp removed. Notts_Phil solution would be best, with the "carefully" bit being optional!

I have removed the clamp (carefully) and phoned them to let them know.

The clamper claimed it was a criminal offence to remove the clamp, and I informed him that he was wrong.

What now? If I park in the same car park again, can they clamp me even if I have a valid ticket?

I left the clamp by the parking bay and took photos. Any chance they might claim it wasn't there?

I think if you park in the same car park you will definitely be clamped again. To avoid any needless aggro I would suggest parking somewhere else till the clamping ban is in place or find out who owns the land and speak to them

I have removed the clamp (carefully) and phoned them to let them know.

Well done! I'm impressed. :)

The clamper claimed it was a criminal offence to remove the clamp, and I informed him that he was wrong.

You are, of course, correct

What now? If I park in the same car park again, can they clamp me even if I have a valid ticket?

It would be illegal again, but they probably will unfortunately

I left the clamp by the parking bay and took photos. Any chance they might claim it wasn't there?

Maybe, but who cares :)

They cannot clamp your car for 'outstanding parking charges', they would have to use the civil court to persue those like any other member of the public. Removing a private clampsis not an offence although damaging it while doing so might be. However, I wonder what would happen if you displayed a notice on you car to the effect 'Any unauthorised device or item applied to this vehicle will be subject to removal by any means necessary. The owner/driver of this vehicle will not be responsible for any damages caused to any such device/object by it's removal'.

Whats good for the goose...

I add my praise.

Incidentally,for the benefit of others in the future, how did you achieve this?

The clamper had fed the chain behind the driveshaft. There was enough slack to get behind the plate and remove the wheel. To remove the chain, I undid the driveshaft nut (not easy - 134lbft!), split the bottom balljoint, pulled the hub off the end of the driveshaft, and looped the chain over the end to the ground. It was a very satisfying moment!

To add: I do a lot of trackdays and I am quite handy with a spanner...