mis-sold car...please help??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, firstly my apology I am a forum virgin :/

I bought a car from a car garage about 5 months ago, all was well with the car...until it came time to tax the car.

I realised I did not have the log book from the garage (I know more fool me for not checking that when I left the garage) so I sent off to the dvla for a new log book (as the garage told me they did not have my log book) after 5 weeks, by this point I had to put my car off the road as was unable to tax it without the logbook.

I decided to call the dvla, only to be told that the number plates on my car were not registered, not only to my car but at all!!! I contacted the garage and discoverd that they had put the wrong number plates on the car!! I now want to sell/get rid of the car as I no longer feel confident having the vehicle in my possesion.

Can I get the garage to buy the car back from me? If they refuse is there anything I can do as a consumer??? Thank you!

Edited by citizenB
popped some spacing in to make reading easier

Ouch.. I will flag your thread for the site team..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Fishy or what?? So where did the plates come from that were fitted to your car if they are not known to DVLA??? Car your plates were fitted to will be running illegally as tax won't apply to that VIN number, so how did they get car taxed??? Fishy or what?

I find it hard to understand that you have been running around for 5 months with an 'un-registered' VRM with the amount of ANPR cameras there are now days. That aside, the seller is clearly responsible to put this right. It may be a genuine mistake after all but it would be interesting to hear their explaination. So your first step is to bring the matter to their attention and see what they have to say. I would of thought if they completely remedy the situation and that the car is (as you say) 'fine', then that seems the ideal outcome. Maybe you could suggest they pay for the road tax to cover any inconvienience to you.

Please keep us posted.

I'll have a bet that the true reg number is an angram of the noe thats on there.. eg AG53 ADF instead of AG53 AFD or something.

The DVLA can give you the reg number if yuo give them the chassis number (17 digit number under the bonnet)

You will need to describe the car eg green citroen 1.6LX Saxo or whatever and explain the situation.

After this you can get a V5 and tax... the dealer should be MORE THAN PREPARED to do all this on yuor behalf

• 3 weeks later...
Fishy or what?? So where did the plates come from that were fitted to your car if they are not known to DVLA??? Car your plates were fitted to will be running illegally as tax won't apply to that VIN number, so how did they get car taxed??? Fishy or what?

Not really that fishy, a lot of dealers especially franchise dealers replace the number plates on all the cars they sell. This is down so that the details of the dealer are displayed the number plate.

If the dealer taxed the car, it would make no difference what the number plate said as the number plate is not checked with you go to the Post Office to tax a car.