Very slow computer

John333
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I brought what should have been a fast laptop from an online company. On setting it up its extremely slow, almost a minute to open MS Word.

I phoned the manufacturer Lenovo Thinkpad and explained the situation and they informed me that to take a minute to open MS Word is normal.

Its clearly not normal and I paid almost £500 to get a machine that was responsive, this acts like it runs on an Atom.

What are my rights with this computer, I've had it more than a week so I can't just send it back under the distance selling act. I think its two weeks old now.

Any advice?

Thank You

Would you be able to post the specs or advert or the item in question please? Just so some of us can judge the speed against the spec. Thanks

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Computers dont just run slow for no reason, as posted above it depends on the spec, other issues that could make it run slow are viruses, a rather knackered hard disk and too many processess running at once.

Ive noticed the newer versions of MS Office 2007 and 2010 especially do take longer to initially open, Ive got a very fast PC here at work (in the IT dept) and word, excel and outlook especially may take 30-40 secs to fully open.

Have you opened the task manager to have a look at the CPU and Ram %'s being used ?

It does sound to me that nothing is actually faulty. many new PC's do come with rather bloated extra software from the manufacturer themselves (wifi/network software especially) that isnt really needed and i prefer to remove it and use the built in Windows s/w.

Andy

The first time you open any Microsoft programme on any new PC it takes a while to load, this is because it is 'registering' various components of the programme.

Have you gone into MSCONFIG and seen if there are any startup programmes running which could be switched off - most new PCs come with a load of software 'pre startup' which you don't need.

I've speeded up five older PCs in the last week, three running Vista and two running XP, in all cases the MSCONFIG utility proved to be invaluable.

Unless you go ridiculously expensive and get a "solid state hard drive", most laptops have a standard 5200 RPM hard drive, as they have for years, and as this dictates a lot of loading speed, it will not appear any better than an older PC at loading programs.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Have you cleared the cookies in the tools / options folder?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers