Urgent Gas Safety Advice in Rented Property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Need urgent advice for a friend and there family who had test done for Carbon Monoxide Poisioning after doctor sent them straight to hospital A+E and the results were positive for serious carbon monoxide posioning.

It is a Private Rented Property.

1. They have been feeling umwell for a few weeks and purchased a Carbon Monoxide Detector this weekend and on setting it up it kept going off (at the time they just thought it was a faulty detector) until speaking to a neighbour checked it for them and it still went off and he immediatley turned the gas off

2. They had the normal Gas safety inspection carried out by landlord at the begining of the year and the person who carried out the inspection was properly Gas Safety Registered and nothing unusal.

3. Transco came out and as its a gas fire with back boiler the have condemed the fire and capped off all the gas.

The Landlord is aware of the above but has left the family with no heating or hot water and they are still living in the property and as you can imagine do not feel safe at all.

your advice greatly appreciated

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Will flag your thread for site team assistance.

Are there any small children in the property ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi citizenB

Yes two children but they are with a relative due to this at present

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Hopefully everyone recovers well.

The landlord is required to repair or replace the heating system as soon as possible, but obviously it may take a bit of time to get surveys and quotes. Unfortunately it is a busy time now for gas men - my gas man has effectively turned his phone off for example.

What your friend & LL needs is detailed report from Transco engineer.

Person missing from this scenario is Env Health Officer who could serve rectification notice on LL

I would say it is rare to find a gas fire with back boiler providing all heat and hot water for a property.

• 2 months later...

It is a statutory obligation for the landlord to provide space heating and hot water. The landlord must therefore do everything reasonably possible, as quickly as possible, to get this system repaired/replaced. In the meantime the landlord should really provide some alternative form of heating. For instance I have some oil filled plug in radiators which I have taken round to tenants on one occasion when the boiler needed a repair.

Alternatively you could supply your own and if the landlord is not diligent in their effect of the repairs you request that a proportion of the rent is suspended until the landlord has effected repairs.

Hi All

Just an update they actually didnt have to do anything as Transco(National Grid) did it all and reported landlord to HSE and Local Authority and there solicitor is awaiting the outcome reports from HSE and local authority.

They have asked me to say a BIG THANK YOU TO CAG for all the advice and assistance given.