***Change to Litigant in Person Rates***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

*mods, feel free to move if you think it should be elsewhere more noticeable!*

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/procedure-rules/civil/index.htm

"The Costs Practice Direction supplementing Parts 43-48

Further amendments are made to increase the rates that litigants in person can recover for financial loss through spending time on legal work. The rate is increased from £9.25 to £18.00." (per hour, of course)

Of interest to many of us here, and about time too, the rate had remained the same since its implementation in the 70s!

Well spotted CD! :-)

I'd just discovered that MYSELF (this afternoon!) and after some searching around for other references to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what I read at THE COSTS PRACTICE DIRECTION, SECTION 52.4 http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/procedure-rules/civil/contents/practice_directions/pd_parts43-48.htm#IDAHMVS I headed over here to CAG to report it.

Luckily I did a quick search to see if anybody else had reported it and came across your thread!

I agree with your comment "and about time too ..."

Maybe this thread ought to be stickied?

Cheers

Rob

Maybe this thread ought to be stickied?

Cheers

Rob

Stuck :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Stuck :)

Thanks citizenB ! :-)

*mods, feel free to move if you think it should be elsewhere more noticeable!*

I'm also wondering if this thread is in the right place as it seems to have only had 29 'views'. :!:

That's unless there is a similar thread somewhere else that I haven't seen.

It would be a shame if members were missing out because they didn't know about this, whereas they could potentially almost double the amount claimed for costs if they were aware of this!

Any suggestions which forum might be more suitable to get better viewing figures? (I know that makes it sound like a TV channel ratings war!).

My suggestion would be the 'Legal Issues' forum.

Cheers

Rob

PS

I just came across this thread started by member andyorch which covers this subject;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?322667-LiP-Costs

Edited by robcag
added 'PS'

robcag, I will duplicate it in the "Legal Issues" forums as well :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I have just settled a case in my favour and have been paid an amount + costs which still have to be agreed. Can I now ask for £18.00 per hour even though the time I spent was over the last 14-15 months or will I only be allowed to claim the £9.25 as the work was done in the lower rated period?

Thanks again

Ok, so I have just settled a case in my favour and have been paid an amount + costs which still have to be agreed. Can I now ask for £18.00 per hour even though the time I spent was over the last 14-15 months or will I only be allowed to claim the £9.25 as the work was done in the lower rated period?

Thanks again

I'd prepare two lots of costs sheets, one with £18 p.h for everything and see if the judge accepts it, then perhaps have another prepared using the old rate upto the date of the change and then £18 from that date onwards.

Andy

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is old but it is stickied. There are new rules coming in force in April 2015. http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil

PD27 The Small Claims Track and PD46 Costs - Special cases

Litigants in person costs

A small amendment is made to (1) hourly rate that litigants in person conducting their own case may claim for legal work; and (2) the amount a party or witness may be paid for attending a small claim hearing. The first amount is increased from £18 to £19 per hour and the second from £90 to £95 per day. The increase is based on the change as represented by the Average Weekly Earning Index since the figures were last amended in 2011.

• Haha 1

Gemma, many thanks for the information :)

BCOBS

If you are going to court, print this out, I had a judge who was totally unaware of the last rate change and wouldn't believe me of the new rate, I was gobsmacked !

But the new rates don't come into force until April???

You mean last change in 2011?