Refurbished advent laptop faulty - apparently warranty voided

abbyjcarter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a refurbished laptop around 2-3 weeks ago from Dixons. It in an Advent Modena M200 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Twice now the laptop has shut itself down during updates and led to the computer not starting.

I tried to reinstall Windows from the partition on the hard drive as start-up repair couldnt solve the problem and I had not yet made a system restore point.

After all of my previous Windows had been deleted, the computer stopped installing and then had no operating system. I used an old laptop to email Dixons where it was bought from informing them I had no way of calling their helpline which was an 0844 number.

As I only recieved an automated reply asking me to call the number I was forced to reinstall Windows myself from a Windows 7 installation disk I have but registered the Windows with my product code on the bottom of the laptop.

The same thing happened again and my computer wouldnt start again so I decided to contact Dixons again and I got a phone call this time. However, they said that because I'd been forced to reinstall Windows that my warranty was voided even though it wasn't my fault it was because they sent me a faulty laptop. I am still within the 21 days period where they are supposed to refund or exchange me for any faults.

Ive seen lots of people on the forums say they reinstalled their windows and still had it fixed and also I wasnt sent any warranty conditions or anything with my laptop and I cannot find them online. Does anyone know whether the man I spoke to was right because he would not let me speak to a manager even though I know it is my right to. I believe this laptop voids the Sale of Good Act as it was faulty - help please!!Thanks in advance :)

Edited by citizenB
formatted for easier reading

The guy is talking rubbish. Did you mention SOGA to him ?

Are you able to get to the store in order to speak to a manager ?

Will try and find someone who can advise what you need to do.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

nothing at all to do with the warranty

you beef is under SOGA

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaataglance

go get 'em!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah, didnt need to find anyone.. they found you :lol: thanks dx

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok thanks guys glad its not just me that feels this is unfair! I shall email them again and if I don't get a reply then ill have to try and get into a store! :)

Few words of advice, dont waste your time emailing them ! just go straight back to the store that you bought the laptop from and demand a exchange or refund...

Few words of advice, dont waste your time emailing them ! just go straight back to the store that you bought the laptop from and demand a exchange or refund...

I bought the laptop from the Dixons website otherwise I would - only reason I've bothered emailing them in the first place so if I go into a store and they say email them I can say I already have.

then DSR rules apply too

dx

and they

I don't believe you can void a warranty with software. How long had you had the laptop in working days when you emailed them saying you were not happy with the laptop? If under 10 you do have a backup of saying in store that you emailed to return it within 10 working days as you are legally entitled to. I would suggest that you email [email protected] (He's the CEO of dixons group which includes PC world and currys) and see if he can shed some light on this and get you your refund.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

the person you spoke to is an idiot

ring up again and insist on a repair booking if its over 28 days old or a refund if less

im not going to comment on the current level of training at the call center but i will say that there is often self installed operating systems seen at the workshop it does not void the warrenty in the slightest

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

i like the £M's they've wasted on that stupid advert with daft ada

we've trained our staff

SHAME THEY FORGOT ABOUT SOGA AND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

dx

and they

well they improved one stage

they now have an actual repair code for SOG repairs

SA01 - SOG Repairs appeared a couple months ago

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: