Chitter Chatter Croydon

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would really appreciate any advice on how to deal with Chitter Chatter - an awful mobile phone shop in Croyfon.

They give the impression of being connected to T-Mobile - the shop is decorated with the T-Mobile shade of pink.

They sold me a contract with T-Mobile with a Blackberry 9300.

The phone developed a fault within a couple of weeks but for very genuine reasons I was unable to get to the shop within 28 days.

I took the phone back about five weeks after signing the contract.

They refused to replace it but sent if off for a repair.

They insisted on a £20 deposit for a rubbish old phone to use while the Blackberry was being repaired

- needless to say the loan phone could not access the internet.

They phoned over a week later when they realised that they had not asked me for the phone's code.

Eventually got the phone back but the fault had not been repaired.

They refused to either replace the phone or offer any compensation but would only return the phone to their head office with a recommendation to replace it.

They claim that only their head office can authorise replacement phones.

Meanwhile I am still paying a contract for unlimited internet access that is of no use to me.

The staff in their head office are incompetent and were unable / refused to get a manager to speak to me.

I hope that this post will warn people of this outfit. It seems to me that consumers have very limited rights with mobile phones on contracts.

I think that the problem comes about because Chitter Chatter only 'sold' me the contract for line rental etc

and the Blackberry came for free so there is no actual contract between Chiter Chatter and me for the phone.

However, the Blackberry was at least an inducment to enter the contract

- I wouldn't have taken the contract out unless it came with the Blackberry.

The phone is now with Chitter Chatter - any ideas for how to make them replace the phone?

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaataglance

ask for your bill to be recharged back with the fee of the months the internet was not used

as for the phone

there is no 'set' limit for a repair time though most take/state 28days

they are correct they can repair it

but if they cannot it should be replaced

there is nothing to stop you cancelling the contract

and walking away

owing nothing,

they cannot argue with that.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As DX said speak to Chitter Chatter, preferably in writing, asking for a refund of the internet allowance for the period your phone is away. Again mention the period of time you have been without your Blackberry, and highlight your rights and their obligations under the Sales of Goods Act.

Send it recorded delivery. If this does not spur action or does not get the desired result, the next step is to bring it to T-Mobile's attention. Ask to speak to one of the Dealer/ 3rd Party Support team or at least get a name and address of the person you can write/ email to. Explain the situation factually with dates etc. Also supply copies of any letters sent or received by Chitter Chatter. The letter should mention what you expect in terms of brining this to a satisfactory conclusion for you (either fully releasing you from the contract without charge or at least a replacement Blackberry with refund for internet allowance).

Cancelling the contract before doing any of this will incurr charges and failure to pay will hit your credit rating!

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

This is a major downside that comes when you buy from a 3rd party. You've essentially signed a contract for however many minutes / texts / internet from T-Mobile for £xx per month, they have no other obligations regarding the handset. Chitter Chatter get paid a commission from T-Mobile. Canceling the contract is going to prove difficult, and as dreadpiratesteve said, if you just stopped paying they will put a negative mark on your credit file.

Deal in writing with Chitter Chatter. Write in nice big bold letters at the top of the letter "LETTER BEFORE ACTION" Tell them to give you a new handset, or in 14 days you will take them to small claims court for the value of the handset and the internet portion of your bill, and follow it thrugh.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar