Poor quality Cookworks products

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3400 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I believe Cookworks is Argos's own brand for kitchen electrical goods. I have used their kettles for years and am usually lucky if they last much longer than 12 months, but at the price, that is fair enough, they get a lot of use.

I also have a Cookworks Deep Fat Fryer which cost £19.99, 22 months ago. So it is out of guarantee, no problem there, but it has hardly been used and has just broken in a dangerous way. The basket and handle are joined by a metal and plastic mechanism that relies on a very small piece of plastic to lock them together, and that piece of plastic has sheered straight across which could easily have resulted in the whole fryer being pulled over. So I have made several attempts to notify Argos and ask what I can do, as it seems stupid throwing the whole appliance away for the sake of a piece of plastic that would cost a fraction of a penny in the manufacturing process. With any other supplier/manufacturer I am sure I could either buy a spare part, new handle, or even the handle and basket combined. But Argos's responses have been very negative.

a/ They don't supply any spare parts for Cookworks products.

b/ If I take it back to a store and give it them back they will send it back to China.

c/ If I think it is dangerous, I should pay for an Independent report (costing much more than the product) and then take the report and product to a shop and they will look into it.

So the only practical solution is to throw it in the bin.

I am disappointed in Argos for not taking this seriously. They aren't the company they used to be.... fortunately there are many others. Hopefully no one will get scalded by this product.

For H+S issues - If you have an item, even if it is over a year old which could potentially or has inflicted injury or damage take it into any store, tell them that it is unsafe and INSIST they send it for a QC inspection (What is called in HRG as a Haznot).

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.