• Tweets

• sadly both yourself and HSBC do not understand how the hacking works. google pay IS CPA its not a DD. if it was a DD , where is the copy of the Direct debit mandate you signed...there isn't one ..   last break this down..   disputed payments - 4 November 2020 <> 3 February 2021 for the total amount of £2,621.44. The disputed transactions took place using four of your HSBC Debit Cards. - i doubt you said using 4 cards at all.   notice carefully they fail to mention what the you stated in post 1at ALL.   in November of last year, as when I was out shopping I found out my card had been suspended by HSBC. I was then contacted by the bank informing me that the account had been hacked, so HSBC then issued to me a replacement card.   but have said: The debit card ending 0297 was created on 23 August 2019 and was sent to the address we hold on file. The card was stopped on 17 December 2020  ...they are hiding something here ..a fatal bank mistake.   nothing HSBC has put actually means anything, it's all twaddle proving they have never even thought about CPA on card 1. even the Roblox IP comment and google play transactions can all be explained because....   i suggest all this stems from your sons gmail account being hacked, them being able to read all the emails in/out on the gmail online portal and thus being able to log-in to google pay , get the 1st cards details from funding source page..away they go.   all of the fraudulent transactions thus made via google pay to ebay etc and o2 or a account that got setup via the 1st card before it got cancelled in december....   pretty simple when you break it down.   rather than you typing things up it's much better to scan letters etc to pdf please. if and when you do SAR HSBC then all of the above can be proved.    
    • Good evening all.   I thought I would start a post here so others can follow it from start to finish to see how it all ends as reading posts on this forum have been invaluable to me so far and I want to contribute.   I'll deliberately leave specific details out due to the case still being open. I will say that the guitar is worth several thousand pounds.   At the start of April 2021 I booked a Hermes collection through Parcel2go, to return a guitar back to the store as I wanted a refund. The store policy where I purchased the instrument from is that you have to organise the return yourself. I usually use a more reputable courier but only two were available.   I did declare the instrument for it's true value but I did not take out the extra insurance offered as it was several hundred pounds and I knew Hermes would not pay out due to it being on their endless list of prohibited items.   My parcel went out for delivery over a week ago. Apparently it was not delivered. The tracking states it was later scanned again at the depot, where no further updates or changes have occurred.   Prior to collection I took photographs of the instrument, pre and post packaging so I can show that it was definitely properly packaged and labeled in case anything like this was to happen.   I have since contacted Hermes several times (impossible by phone, all done by the online assistant on their site and then email responses following on from that) and have finally been informed that they have lost it.   I have submitted a claim through Parcel2Go as this seems like standard procedure, plus Parcel2Go state they will investigate but I'm sure that's only asking Hermes where it is and getting the same answer. The payout offered is the basic £20 fee as standard by Hermes.   I have every intention of going as far as I can to get all of the true value back as I understand that they have a legal right to ensure that they do not lose or damage goods shipped. Any advice or guidance offered here could be the difference between achieving that goal or being very upset.   I will update you to let you know if anything changes.   Status right now: waiting to hear back from Parcel2go in regards to the claim    
    • You must rewspond to it and its best with a snotty letter.  
    • HSBC already say google pay is NOT CPA, DD= CPA, and they said the system not allow them to stop any google pay.   DX is not i dont want to listen to you, but they insist said anything set on phone is NOT CPA.    when i change the new card but the info on phone still keep old info, I did try before, i couldnt pay anything via the phone, so where gone wrong?
    • Hi,   Yes that's it and I have done everything they asked. I have been on the phone again after somebody told me what I had said was correct and the guy on the phone at HMRC said he is sorry that the other person gave me wrong information. My tax rebate has now been calculated and I have to wait for my letter. So if anyone else gets told similar to what I had first been told, it is wrong. Get back in touch and tell them so. Thanks for replying DX
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

Getting a refund on a faulty car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am trying to get some advice for my 62 year old mother. She has just bought a car on the 27th oct for £2000. On mon 31st oct, so 4 days later she took the car for a service and was told the head gasket has gone, air conditioning not working and air bag has been taken out. She has been told by another garage that the car will not pass an mot without the airbag in it. Now my mother has only driven the car from the garage to her home and thats it during those 4 days as they do have another car.

Knowing this my mother decided she wanted a refund of£2000 which she paid by debit card. However she went to the garage where she bought the car and spoke with the boss. He was abrupt and rude told her he would repair the car and thats it and then ordered her off the property. My mother was in tears with how the man spoke with her and feels she wouldn't trust him to repair the car properly. She just wants a refund she doesnt want the car back. The car is back with the garage now. We have spoken with trading standards/consumer direct. They said he was in breach of contract and she should put this in writing and give him 7 days to reply.

My mother is quite old and has been ill recently so she is not wanting to go to court. Is there anything else we can do? Is she entitiled to a refund after just 3/4 days as the man is claiming it was my mothers fault!!!

Any advice is appreciated!!!!!

Hi I am trying to get some advice for my 62 year old mother. She has just bought a car on the 27th oct for £2000. On mon 31st oct, so 4 days later she took the car for a service and was told the head gasket has gone, air conditioning not working and air bag has been taken out. She has been told by another garage that the car will not pass an mot without the airbag in it. Now my mother has only driven the car from the garage to her home and thats it during those 4 days as they do have another car.

Knowing this my mother decided she wanted a refund of£2000 which she paid by debit card. However she went to the garage where she bought the car and spoke with the boss. He was abrupt and rude told her he would repair the car and thats it and then ordered her off the property. My mother was in tears with how the man spoke with her and feels she wouldn't trust him to repair the car properly. She just wants a refund she doesnt want the car back. The car is back with the garage now. We have spoken with trading standards/consumer direct. They said he was in breach of contract and she should put this in writing and give him 7 days to reply.

My mother is quite old and has been ill recently so she is not wanting to go to court. Is there anything else we can do? Is she entitiled to a refund after just 3/4 days as the man is claiming it was my mothers fault!!!

Any advice is appreciated!!!!!

Hiya, welcme to cag. I can't advise you myself on this issue but be assured some one will be along soon to put you on the right path..

Hi and welcome to CAG

I have moved your post to a new place where people with experience will see it.

Hopefully someone will pop up soon

I would say that now he has the car back, you do write the letter demanding the refund and get it to him ASAP.

If he refuses, Trading Standards 'may' help but it may come to filing a claim at court

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hang on a minute....

'head gasket has gone'... do you know this for sure? Or is the servicing garage trynig to get a few quid out of you? Has the car overheated / lost water/ lost power

'air conditioning not working'.... was it ADVERTISED as having airconditioning? A proper aircon man will diagnose the problem for you... it could be as simple as a regas £50 or as difficult as a condenser (£500)... but if the advert did not say 'airconditioning' as a feature then the dealer may well claim he was unaware that the car had this and that's why he never advertsed it.. in other words, he never said it had it, you thought you'd got something he didn't know about as a bonus so tough. I know and you know it's nonosense that he wouldn't know, but he may well claim this.

'She has been told by another garage that the car will not pass an mot without the airbag in it. ' .. then the other garage are talking out of their hat, an airbag / airbag warning light is not part of the mot test. Yes, yuo may well think its a safety matter (and it is) but some cars do not even have an airbag and yet they pass the mot! Would your car pass the MOT if both foglights were broken... YES... becasue foglights are not standard on a car... stupid but there you go.

So I wouldn't necessarily believe the garage that says the head gasket's gone, the air con maybe a simple fix, and the airbag is immterial to the MOT (again, did the ad say 'airbag'?

Sorry to **** on your bonfire, just telling it how it is!

I agree with oddjob here. Quite how this garage managed to find an airbag missing is beyond me. This requires the steering wheel to be partly removed. Again this is not a test failure at present.

Air con not working, well in all fairness it is a £2k car and given the British weather its not something to worry about.

Head gasket, well if it is gone then the dealer whould come good and fix it. But as you have allowed another garage to work on the vehicle since it left him he will legally be able to wash his hands, stating he doesn't know what this other garage have done and may well have caused the hg failure.

I can't see in the OP's account where it states that another garage has worked on the vehicle apart from perhaps giving it a service. Strange though that it was considerded necessary to service it so soon after buying it. Surely that was the seller's should of done before delivery? Was there an obvious reason for your mother wanting it serviced? At this stage to formally reject the car for a refund, you would have to show that the car was miss-sold if you havn't given the seller reasonable opportunity to rectify the problem(s). as previoulsy mentioned, a lot would depend on how the car was described.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

It's not the seller's responsibility to service a car before he sells it.

Althuogh of course many main dealers and some other dealers do do it.

The problem is that if a seller spends £100 on servicing the car, will he get £100 more for it at sale time?... or will the buyer(s) look for one a little bit cheaper in auto trader?

We need to know if the head gasket IS actually gone... I was told this years ago by a garage on a merc I owned, it drove perfectly, didn't boil until short of water, but would lose a pint of water ever 200 miles.

It was a faulty radiator cap, £4.95 from halfords.

It's not the seller's responsibility to service a car before he sells it.

Althuogh of course many main dealers and some other dealers do do it.

The problem is that if a seller spends £100 on servicing the car, will he get £100 more for it at sale time?... or will the buyer(s) look for one a little bit cheaper in auto trader?

We need to know if the head gasket IS actually gone... I was told this years ago by a garage on a merc I owned, it drove perfectly, didn't boil until short of water, but would lose a pint of water ever 200 miles.

It was a faulty radiator cap, £4.95 from halfords.

Nobody said it was. But personally, I would never buy a car from a dealer that dosn't.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Sailor sam, As the coolant would be checked or even changed to increase protection by the servicing garage, the original seller could quite rightly claim that they didn't fill it to the level, or bleed it to remove air.

Well if that was the case, then perhaps the OP's mother should of taken the car to a vet then if the servicing garage could get something like that wrong. In any event, as possible as that may be, it still dosn't answer my questions.

Please Note