• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Cap1 & CCA return

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3656 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Magda I think you are missing a very important point made by Steven.

Indeed Link purchased the right to receive the debt as at sale date, however, did they also purchase the right to receive interest in line with the original contract? The answer is in the DOA and another contract document referred to in said DOA.

PS. I would put the question up in debt forum too as I am sure it has come up before.

• Replies 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Magda I think you are missing a very important point made by Steven.

Indeed Link purchased the right to receive the debt as at sale date, however, did they also purchase the right to receive interest in line with the original contract? The answer is in the DOA and another contract document referred to in said DOA.

PS. I would put the question up in debt forum too as I am sure it has come up before.

Hi Aktiv, I see what you mean about the interest and whether they have a legal right to charge it. I have requested the DoA in a cpr 31.14 request and also cpr 18 when proceedings first began. They replied recently to say that I had no right to see the actual assignment. However, I was kindly given a letter explaining why this is not so, and I have written again stating that as a matter of law etc I am entitled to see this document. Just waiting to hear back again now. I do have a thread on this, as it is one of two Link claims currently back up and running again. Many thanks for the above, Magda

Hi

I purchased a car back in june 2008, however i have done a subject access request and all my documentation has now come back from welcome.

My agreement states 'Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974'

However i purchased a car from them and surely my agreement should say 'Hire Purchase agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974'

Anyone have any suggestions whether this is now enforceable????

Also in the terms and conditions and agreement nothing is mentioned about repossession or termination rights????

Hi

I purchased a car back in june 2008, however i have done a subject access request and all my documentation has now come back from welcome.

My agreement states 'Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974'

However i purchased a car from them and surely my agreement should say 'Hire Purchase agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974'

Anyone have any suggestions whether this is now enforceable???

Depends if it was a HP agreement or a loan agreement, and we would need to see the agreement to determine it. You can have "personal loans" that are restricted use to buy the car.

Can you post a copy please?

H

I am not a lawyer - I'm an Engineer with an interest in law. Advice is given with out prejudice and is my opinion on the information I have been provided with based on my experience, understanding and interpritation of law. If you are in any doubt please seek the advice of a qualified and insured legal professional.

Victories:

Abbey (OH) - £680 ..... Barclaycard (OH) - £2200 ..... MBNA (OH) - £1800 ..... Shop Direct (OH) - £220

Brunell Franklin (a.k.a. Conkers) - Out of "contract" & no charge

:D

In Progress:

MBNA (OH) - PPI & bad default with premature termination

Capital One (OH) - ~£800 Penalty Charges

Suzuki Finance/Blackhorse (OH) - Commission, Unlawful removal, PPI, Charges

A Lightbulb Shop - "loss of bargain"

If i've helped, please feel free to hit the star ;)

can antone help ( and please excuse me if this is the wrong thread) I have a managed loan with HSBC basically the repayment schedule was mis-stated, HSBC have confirmed this in writing. Having written the letters to explain that the account is therefore unenforceable, they have written back saying:

"We do not agree that this is a serious error hat would render the account unenforceable.....you have clearly had the benefits of the monies withdrawn under the agreement.....we will exercise the right to proceed against you for recovery/ contact credit reference agencies...."

My question is what do i do next - sit and wait or be more proactive and reply, and if so saying what?

would be truly greatful for any help.

can antone help ( and please excuse me if this is the wrong thread) I have a managed loan with HSBC basically the repayment schedule was mis-stated, HSBC have confirmed this in writing. Having written the letters to explain that the account is therefore unenforceable, they have written back saying:

"We do not agree that this is a serious error hat would render the account unenforceable.....you have clearly had the benefits of the monies withdrawn under the agreement.....we will exercise the right to proceed against you for recovery/ contact credit reference agencies...."

My question is what do i do next - sit and wait or be more proactive and reply, and if so saying what?

would be truly greatful for any help.

Have you CCA'd them, then?

I'd suggest you start a new thread in the legal issues or general debt forums and post a copy of their response, including the agreement they have sent, if any, with personal details removed of course, so we can see if it is indeed enforceable or not.

Just because they say it's enforceable, doesn't necessarily mean that it is :roll:

There's some help starting a new thread in my signature, below - beginners guide to CAG - if you're at all unsure

Always happy to help where I can!

:lol:

Beware of legal advice given on a private forum - do you REALLY know who is posting? Are they REALLY accountable for their posts? What if you follow their advice and get something wrong?

It was Winston Churchill who said; "Democracy is the worst way to run a country except for all the others"

Advice and comments posted by car2403 are offered purely without prejudice. They reflect only my personal opinion and do not represent the opinion of this forum or it's management. You should always seek legal advice from a qualified legal advisor. As a member of the site team, I disable reputation - reputation points mean nothing, please check my posting credentials yourself and make an informed decision. You shouldn't PM me and await a reply - I may be too late with a response. No replies will be given in Private Messages - just as with getting advice from the forum, getting advice via Private Messages is dangerous. CAG is about sharing successes so others can follow your example, this is primarily why I'm here, so please don't be offended if I don't offer replies in PM that doesn't comply with this. Help CAG to help others by keeping your thread up to date.

USEFUL LINKS; New User Guide to CAG | Can't find what you're looking for? | Intro to Consumer Credit Litigation | Is My Agreement Enforceable | Default (Surleybonds) Template Letter | Defaults - background, removal methods, challenges and taking a claim to Court | Digital Signature Guide | Overdrafts and the CCA

If a loan is in excess of £25000.00 but purports to be regulated by the CCA, is it enforceable. I have a claim against the HSBC. I borrowed £41000.00. The loan agreement says its a regulated agreement. When I advised them that the limit under the CCA was £25k, they worte to tell me that it is not in fact regulated and that I dont have the protection of the prescribed terms that they have clearly breached.

Anyone know of any case law on this?

If a loan is in excess of £25000.00 but purports to be regulated by the CCA, is it enforceable. I have a claim against the HSBC. I borrowed £41000.00. The loan agreement says its a regulated agreement. When I advised them that the limit under the CCA was £25k, they worte to tell me that it is not in fact regulated and that I dont have the protection of the prescribed terms that they have clearly breached.

If the loan was prior to Aprill 2008 it would not be covered by the cca 1974.

It would be regulated by the FSA.

They are correct in saying that the prescribed terms are of no use to you and that unenforceablity under the cca 1974 is not an option as this would be an exempt agreement.

i have no knowledge myself but post#11 by josie8 may interest u here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/178390-credit-agreements-over-25k.html

Tricky one this.

If the agreement purports to be regulated and you entered the contract beleiving you had the protection of the CCA then wouldn't the misrepresentation Act 1967 come into play thus voiding the contract?....just a thought.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

If the loan was prior to Aprill 2008 it would not be covered by the cca 1974.

It would be regulated by the FSA.

They are correct in saying that the prescribed terms are of no use to you and that unenforceablity under the cca 1974 is not an option as this would be an exempt agreement.

Sorry, can you clarify - which loans are regulated by the FSA?

Always happy to help where I can!

:lol:

Beware of legal advice given on a private forum - do you REALLY know who is posting? Are they REALLY accountable for their posts? What if you follow their advice and get something wrong?

It was Winston Churchill who said; "Democracy is the worst way to run a country except for all the others"

Advice and comments posted by car2403 are offered purely without prejudice. They reflect only my personal opinion and do not represent the opinion of this forum or it's management. You should always seek legal advice from a qualified legal advisor. As a member of the site team, I disable reputation - reputation points mean nothing, please check my posting credentials yourself and make an informed decision. You shouldn't PM me and await a reply - I may be too late with a response. No replies will be given in Private Messages - just as with getting advice from the forum, getting advice via Private Messages is dangerous. CAG is about sharing successes so others can follow your example, this is primarily why I'm here, so please don't be offended if I don't offer replies in PM that doesn't comply with this. Help CAG to help others by keeping your thread up to date.

USEFUL LINKS; New User Guide to CAG | Can't find what you're looking for? | Intro to Consumer Credit Litigation | Is My Agreement Enforceable | Default (Surleybonds) Template Letter | Defaults - background, removal methods, challenges and taking a claim to Court | Digital Signature Guide | Overdrafts and the CCA

As far as Goode states it: the agreement can be regulated but will not be covered by irredeemable unenforceablilty is that makes sense - in other words he states that you have the benefits of regulation but assumes the judiciary will have the right to use their discretion even if there is a breach of a prescribed term>

Lawyerscum2003 when was your agreement taken out? Was it secured?

See which applies to your case

The Regulated Credit Agreement was not properly executed under section 61(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (‘the Act) in that:-

a) Contrary to section 60(1)(b) the document did not embody all the terms of the agreement other then implied terms in that it excluded a term orally agreed between the parties whereby the creditor would effect insurance of the goods.

b) Contrary to section 61(1) © when the document was presented to the debtor for signature it was not in such state that all of its terms were legible.

c) Contrary to the Consumer (Credit Agreements) regulation 1983 (‘the Regulations) regulation 2 and schedule 1, Paragraph 1, the document did not contain any heading.

d) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1, paragraph 2 of the regulations, the document did not state the name or any address of the creditor or the name and address of the debtor.

e) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1, paragraph 3 of the regulations, the document did not contain any alternatives an adequate description of the goods.

f) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 4 of the regulations, the document did not state the cash price in respect of the goods.

g) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 5 of the regulations, the document did not state the amount of the advance payment to be made by the debtor.

h) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 9 of the regulations, the document did not state the total charge for credit.

i) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 11, of the regulations, the document did not show the total amount payable.

j) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 15, of the regulations, the document failed to state the APR.

k) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 18, of the regulations, the document did not contain a statement indicating that in which might occur under the agreement of the rate or amount of any item entering into that calculation.

l) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 21, of the regulations, the document contained no description of the security provided by the debtor.

m) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 1 paragraph 22, of the regulations, the document contained no indication of any charges payable on default.

n) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 2, paragraph 3 of the regulations, the document did not contain a statement in the prescribed form setting out the debtors’ right to cancel the agreement.

o) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 2, paragraph 5, of the regulations, the document did not contain a paragraph in the prescribed form setting out the debtors rights of termination alternatively contained in the paragraph purporting to set out such rights which was not form the form prescribed by the regulations.

p) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 2, paragraph 9 of the regulations, the document did not contain a statement in the prescribed for setting out the debtor’s rights in relation to repossession alternatively contained a statement concerning those rights which did not conform to the said paragraph.

q) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 5, paragraph 1, of the regulations, the document did not contain any form of signature box which did not confirm to the requirements of that paragraph.

r) Contrary to regulation 2 and schedule 5, paragraph 1, of the regulations, the creditor’s signature did not appear in the form of a signature box prescribed by that paragraph.

s) Contrary to sections (58(1) and 61(2), the creditor failed to give the debtor a copy of the unexecuted agreement containing the prescribed notice and failed to give the debtor a copy of the document referred to in the unexecuted agreement, namely a blank bankers order.

t) Contrary to section 61(2), the creditor sent the unexecuted agreement to the debtor less then seven days after sending the copy thereof under section 58(1).

u) Contrary to section 61.(2), the agreement being one to which section 58(1) applied, during the consideration period, the creditor without receiving any request from the debtor, frequently communicated with the debtor both by telephoning him and by visiting his home.

4. By reason of sections 61 and 65 of the Act, therefore, the said purported agreement is not enforceable by the creditor against the debtor.

My underdstanding is that while an agreement is unenforceable, it will onlt be so at the discretion of the court if it is over the 25k limit. According to Goode, any protection given under 127(3) will not apply.

My underdstanding is that while an agreement is unenforceable, it will onlt be so at the discretion of the court if it is over the 25k limit. According to Goode, any protection given under 127(3) will not apply.

If it is pre May 2006 and a multiple agreement then refer to Heath v Southern Pacific Mortgage Ltd [2009] EWHC 103 (Ch) (29 January 2009) - Heath vs Southern Pacific case. This is going to appeal later in the year, but it places certain restrictions on the workings of the '74 CCA and could scupper your agreement being deemed unenforceable and you winning on the day. It could be your agreement IS unenforceable according to the '74 Act AND according to the judge, but his hands will be tide by the original Heath verdict until the appeal is heard. If it gets overturned, which is the general feeling (although not guaranteed) then you have room to revert to the '74 Act if your agreement is pre May 06. Check it out before challenging as it may be wise to await the appeal if that's possible.

Cabot and the Cabot Fan Club Threads:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/73598-dealing-cabot-101-cabot.html

Legal Actions Explained for Businesses:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20492-legal-actions-explained-company.html

Payplan CCCS Advice:

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/getting-out-debt/128587-info-cccs-payplan-experiences.html?highlight=Payplan

How to use the Forum

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

A click on the scales below is appreciated if my posts were helpful

Do not regard my postings or suggestions as professional advice. If in doubt seek a professional opinion.

PLEASE DONATE IF SUCCESSFUL - Every little helps :)

PLEASE, Do not Private Message me with basic questions, start your own thread and PM a link if you wish, but I will not be able to respond to all individual questions as I am very busy on numerous other things and anyway, others cannot learn from PM's. It also stifles contributions from the vast talent base this site offers from it's contributors and I'm not all that clever really! :D Thank you.

hi,

my agreement does not mention anything about Hire purchase on it, nor does it state fixed sum loan only

'regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 and thats it?????

I cannot scan the doc, please someone help

thanks

Really, we need to see the agreement to comment properly. Do you have a friend with a scanner that could scan it for you?

Does the agreement have all of the prescribed terms?

Interest rate, total charge for credit, total amount of credit, repayment terms.

The agreement could quite easily be a personal loan and not Hire Purchase (not all car loans are as HP can give you rights that cost the creditor money, but they loose the right to reposses)

hope this helps,

H

I am not a lawyer - I'm an Engineer with an interest in law. Advice is given with out prejudice and is my opinion on the information I have been provided with based on my experience, understanding and interpritation of law. If you are in any doubt please seek the advice of a qualified and insured legal professional.

Victories:

Abbey (OH) - £680 ..... Barclaycard (OH) - £2200 ..... MBNA (OH) - £1800 ..... Shop Direct (OH) - £220

In Progress:

Quick question on adding interest to a disputed account...

I have naturally assumed this be be the case and quoted this in letters to DCA's however the Act refers to enforce as does the OFT guidelines and I just wondered what enforce actually means and whether there are any other points of reference as strictly speaking adding interest is not the same as enforcing an agreement in law.

Can someone point me in the right direction..

Thanks

Berty

Live Life-Debt Free

Hi Berty, it is common sense really - if you look at what enforce means, take advantage of, then they cannot take advantage of any term. However, the OFT guidelines are not statute and there is no written law re. disputed accounts (there is about the creditor being in Default of a section 77/78/79 request)

H

Victories:

In Progress:

yes it contains all the prescribed terms, however my agreement was that it was to be a hire purchase agreement not a loan one.

June 2008 was my first agreement

july 2008 i cancelled all the insurances

august 2008 i had to re-sign a new agreement showing the cancellations

my first agreement in june 2008 was Hire purchase, but now my new agreement is not?????

what can i do, is it not defective as that was what i did not agree to???

thanks

I must admit to being a little queasy about some of the assertions made about the effect of putting an account in dispute, because I have yet to see a good explanation of the basis for them.

I also think that making assertions that you don't understand is potentially very difficult.

All sections 77-79 say is that the alleged debt is unenforceable. What that means is up for grabs, I suppose.

Some of the 2006 amendments (such as the Arrears Notice provisions and the post-judgment interest provisions) do actually go on to say that interest and default sums may not be charged during a period of default but this was not extended to the existing provisions.

heliosfa...unfortunatley common sense doesn't come into law and its the term enforce that I would like to qualify I wondered if anyone with access to Goode could come up with anything?

Live Life-Debt Free

heliosfa...unfortunatley common sense doesn't come into law and its the term enforce that I would like to qualify I wondered if anyone with access to Goode could come up with anything?

I don't, but I do have the following from Francis Bennion, draftsman of the Consumer Credit Act,

Dear HeliosFA,

Thank you for your interesting email. It raises a question about the legal meaning in legislation of a reference to the right to “enforce” an agreement, that is compulsorily obtain the benefit of any term of the agreement, express or implied.

An agreement cannot be enforced unless it is embodied in a contract or deed. The usual case is that it is embodied in a contract. This means that, apart from legislation such as the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the CCA), the contract can be enforced by applying to an appropriate court for an order made under the general law of contract.

If the court order is not obeyed willingly the court can be asked to impose sanctions. If necessary these will be forcibly put into effect by officers of the state, such as bailiffs or police officers. This may involve the seizure of money or other property sufficient to satisfy the contractual obligation.

When the CCA says that in certain circumstances a party to a contract is, by virtue of the CCA, not entitled to enforce it this means that the party will fail if he or she tries to persuade the court to make an order under the general law of contract such as is described above. The other side will point out the facts to the court and argue that in the circumstance the applicant is not entitled to the order sought.

In the section 65 case you mention the object is to ensure that a court gets to decide whether the party wishing to enforce the agreement deserves to be able to do so. If he or she does, the court will allow it; otherwise not. In some cases a party might otherwise be able to “enforce” an agreement without going to court at all, as by distraint or set off.

Yours sincerely,

Francis Bennion

Also, there has to be a definition for a word for it to have meaning, which would come from a Dictionary.

Victories:

In Progress:

• dx100uk changed the title to Cap1 & CCA return

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3656 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you