Of work after loosing my sight and waitin eye operation.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been signed of work for 6 weeks due to loosing sight in my right eye and stress caused by waiting for my heart operation. Today I received a call from my employer to say they saw me in the car yesterday on my way to the dr's for my sicknote. I wasn't sriving my daughter was. They said if I could go to the dr's I can come into work. The problem with that is I have been told that if I go to work I could cause irreversable damage.

The other issue they havee brought up today is I run a ebay shop selling goods made from work. I have run this shop for 3 years without a problem. In fact it was one of the directors who recommended I set up my shop to make extra money. Today the bosses wife told me it is a conflict of interest and that I should not continue running my ebay shop. She also said that I have been recommending my website ti customers who email us. This is tru but I only recommend my website to people who want to pay by credit or debit card. I can't see why there is a problem as at the end of the day I am purchasing goods and selling them.

Over the last 12 months sinxe my bosses wife has returned from her maternity leave I have been demoted. The finacail side of my job was taken away and given to her. She has also taken over a number of other prime jobs and I have been left to do things no one else wants to do. I feel that I have been sidelined for her to return to work. I feel worthless.

Following the call today and some very heated discussion I contacted Acas and they told me to launch a grievence against them. Which I have sat and wrote a long letter which has been very difficult to do when I am struggling to see. I was informed by one of my colleagues that the girlfriend of the bosses brother in law was in the office. She is employed by a employmrnt law firm who are a law firm who deal with employment law. It seems that they already are beginning to prepare to take me on. I cannot believe that I am being treated like this. I have given them 6 years of my life.

Edited by laineynic

Hi

You need to remove the name of the solicitor asap. Not only is it unwise to have it on there, the site may get into trouble.

I agree you should put in a grievance. There seems to be a degree of discrimination here but you need to be a bit more specific in how they have treated you differently because of your disability. Have you a contract because if you have and they have demoted you against what your contract says, they may be in breach?

Don't be afraid of taking on employers, even if they have posh legal advisors, if your case is solid you will win. I hope you have independent legal protection insurance in the event you have to take them to a tribunal. of course they have not done anything to get rid of you yet, supposing that is where they are headed, but you need to focus on the demotion / contract and any discrimination.

Apologies for naming the company I do not want the website to get into trouble over my irresponsible thinking. I wasn't thinking straight yesterday.

In the factory all the male employees are on over £7.00 per hour yet all the females are on just above minimum wage. They took on a male member of staff who was to work as a supervisor. I am the office manager and until my demotion I ran the office, took care of the financial side of the business worked long hours. My take home hourly rate was £7.50. When he first started he was on £6.50. Within 3 months of him starting he was being paid £8.00. During his probationery period he would phone in sick on the Monday morning or not at all. He sis the least he could possiibly do in a day. But the boss liked him because he palyed call of duty with him, went cycling, went to the pub. When his car failed its MOT he was allowed to use the works van. But didn't pay any tax on it. He refused to do certain jobs saying they were beneath him. I was crying out for help in the office with the huge workload I had and I was being ignored. It is a well known fact in our factory that if you fit the criteria of loving football, cycling, golf, skiing and call of duty you will go far and so will your wages.

I never asked to be ill , I would not wish the illnesses that I have had to deal with over the last 3 years on anyone. To continue to work I have gone against medical advise and carried on and that is because of who I am. But now I am physically and mentally exhausted. I have had a tear in the right eye that is leaking blood and I have a partial detached retina. If they think I am capable of lying about my healthe then they do not know me.I do not know if I have ndependent legal protection insurance we have just renewed our home insurance and I have a feeling that I didn't tick the box so I guesse I am screwed.

I started work for them in 2005 and to date I still do not have a working contract. I have constantly spoken to him about it and it has never happened. So I take it without a contract I can't be demoted because I dont have a contract that says what my job title is.

Thanks for you advice I have some thinking to do now.

Edited by laineynic

Besides the male employees that are paid higher than most of the female staff anyone who is a member of the family is also paid and looked after well. One female meber who only works part time who is the sister in law is also being paid more than the people she stands next to. As I am not a family member I do no fit to either catergory.

The amount of bad feeling that is dividing the workplace is being caused by the employment of family members. One of my colleagues has worked for them for 16 years and she earns just above minimum wage and she has to work alongside the bosses sister in law for 2 days a week and gets paid more than her. She has broached the subject and was told there is no money for payrises. Yet the males in the factory were all given up to £1.00 per hour more and family memebrs were also rewarded.

The family gatherings that take place in my office on a daily basis makes me feel uncomfortable, as if I do not matter. I can be dealing with a query and they are all stood talking the phone rings and I am asked are you not getting that. Why can't they answer it most times they are talking about going skiing. I can't even go to the toilet as no one else answers the phone. If I am not there it rings and rings until they give up.

Whilst I am distressed at the way I have been treated and go knows how I can survive on sick pay, but I feel a huge relief that at this time I don't have to go back.

Hello there.

If you believe that discrimination is happening between male and female staff, have you had a word with the EHRC [equality and human rights people]? We've heard good things about their helpline. They might be able to comment on your other problem, if it could be classed as a disability.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

As long as you arent doing anything for your shop in work time, are obtaining the goods you sell legitimately and arentpoaching any customers, I cant see what your ebay shop has to do with them.

If the female staff are paid lower than the male staff (for the same level role) then you most definitely have a discrimination case.

Furthermore,they cant discipline you or harass you for being off sick. The DDA describes a disability as a mental or physical impairment that has a substantial long term affect on your ability to carry out normal activities.

The important words here are

substantial - which means that its not something minor

long term - its likely to last at leat 12 months

I'm not sure what your heart condition is, but I would imagine your loss of sight would be convered anyway.

The number for the Equality and Human Rights Commission is 08457 622 633

From the sounds of it on first glance I think you have a good case.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

They said if I could go to the dr's I can come into work.

This argument makes no sense. You go to the doctors because you're ill. Why would you go work if you're ill?

You shouldn't have to do this; but do you have any evidence to back up your eye problem? Just wondering if they may take you more seriously then.

Hi

Agree with Nystagmite

That argument makes no sense at all as:

1. You were not driving the vehicle only a passenger.

2. The employer saw u going to drs in a car. (the employer is a big generalization who actually say this? request a copy of the statement from employer).

3. You were given a "Sick Note " by a "Fully Qualified Medical Professional" your "GP". What medical qualification does your employer have to dispute this?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The ebay shop is actually run by my son. He tells me what stock we need and I would bring it home from work. Over the years it has worked as an advantage to em and my employer. He doesn't accept orders made by crdit or debit cards but I do. I have introduced customers to the company who have made enquiries for larger orders one of whoch can be found on any ihigh street. Yes it has always been legitimate what I buy is invoiced. This has only happened because my bosses wife was not happy with it.

I am ay Manchester Eye hospital on Monday that and my drs note should be proof enough. Yesterday I spoke to my GP and she has offered to write to my employer to state my current health situation.

The more I think about the last 12 months the more I can see that this isn't about my ebay shop or my cuurrent health problems it's about her taking back the control she had before she went of on maternity leave. She wants to let me know that it is her domain now and I should remember my place.

I am ready to fight and I am not scared anymore

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter today from my employer regarding the grieveiences I have raised. He has invitec me into work to have a meeting with him and one of the other directors. I have been told today that because he has invited me into work that he could sack me. Does anyone know if this is true?

Hi

have you been provided with a copy of the companies "Disciplinary & Grievances" Procedure if not request a copy.

Also have a look at ACAS website heres the link: www.acas.org.uk

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group