Student loan from a bank?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 1999, I took out a loan with a high street bank with a deferment of 1 year after graduation. I moved abroad shortly before my graduation with every intention to pay the loan back. After the year of deferment, I started paying back the loan and had done so until I paid almost 50% off (about £4,000) when the exchange rate shot through the roof and it was no longer viable for me to continue paying them.

So to cut the story short, needless to say, I stopped paying. This was in 2003 or so. The people at the address (not relatives) where the bank and later, debt collectors, sent letters to have always returned the letters saying *addressee not known*. They do this about once a year.

My question is - how does a bank loan differ from a SLC loan? And does the 6 year rule on a SLC loan apply here? Reason I ask is because the person at the address where they sent the letters to have informed me that she received yet another letter and was wondering what she should do it with. So I told her to do what she had always done - send it back saying *addressee not known*... but I'd rather the collectors would stop writing. They cannot sue her for the payment because she and I are not related at all.

Would appreciate some insights. Thanks.