Stealing wrongly delivered parcels

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a situation where my address is very similar to another half a mile away..

I am 2 XXXXXXX Cottages, XXXXXXX Road - the other address is 2 XXXXXXX Road. My house is a bit hidden away and couriers, taxis etc all go straight to the other house instead of finding mine. In general this is fine, the postman and regulars know the difference.

However I have now had 2 examples where the owner of the other house has signed for packages for online deliveries, and then made no attempt to contact me. In both these instances I chased the vendor, who emailed through proof of signature, and I went round and knocked on his door. In both instances he has handed over the goods, but both times (a couple of years apart), when I questioned him as to why he didnt try and ring me, contact me, drop off the parcel that clearly wasnt for him, he just said " thats not his business". I dont think he is a bad person, but he is a chancer. In the first instance he signed his own name, in the second he tried to sign mine.

I have picked up 2 wrongly delivered items, in both instances they were clearly labelled to me, and in both instances, he had opened the package. I would not be at all surpised to find that other small items that I have forgotten about ordering have been delivered and he has retained....

Questions:

1. Should I contact the police, and get them to warn him as to future conduct, as what he is doing must be illegal?

2. Should I write him a letter, and encourage him to make more effort to contact me when a package gets wrongly delivered.

3. Can the post office/council do anything to clarify the addresses?

Contact the police

• 2 weeks later...

Since the Fraud Act 2006 the proof of a dishonest attempt to deceive is enough to achieve a conviction and the forging of somebody else's signature is more than enough to count. It would already count as fraud by abuse of position, to fail to alert a courier to the fact that the address is obviously wrong.

The local council probably could do something to help; we have had the same sort of problem but it's an uphill struggle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Please remember that the company that delivers the item is responsible and why didnt didnt any of these deliveries leave a note at your address telling you the parcel had been left at such and such address.

The company delivering the item is responsible for delivering it. If they have delivered it to a wrong address you need to take it up with that delivery company.

Also if you order online i would point out in the delivery instructions that you live at address and companies have being mistaken such and such address for yours and give a description of your location or even better a map.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group