style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I'm looking for a little advice.

My girlfriend and I recently extended our tenancy agreement, we came to the end of a 12 month contract and decided to move onto a Statutory Periodic Contract (month-by-month with 1 months notice).

Then a couple of weeks later we got an invoice through the post from our letting agent asking for £60 (£50 + £10 VAT). Neither of us remember reading about this fee when we re-signed and frankly it seems like a bit of a con.

Does anyone know what the legal position is regarding these? I've never paid a renewal fee before. Admin fees and credit checks at the start of a new tenancy sure, though those are obscenely expensive as well...

But do you think we have to pay this or not? I'm of a mind to write and tell them where to go. £60 for nothing, they didn't even have to draw up a new contract as we're now on a monthly rolling contract!

In England letting agents can charge what they like. There was a legal challenge to what fees they can charge but LA's won,sadly.

What you may have to consider is what you'll do if you don't pay it ? What with the LA do ?

Is it worth the hastle ?

Yes you are being ripped off, welcome to the wonderful world of letting.

"In England letting agents can charge what they like. There was a legal challenge to what fees they can charge but LA's won,sadly."

That sounds like quite a strong statement, so some supporting evidence would be good! :smile:

LA cannot arbitrarily charge what it likes. Charges have to be for a service and they have to be agreed. If you have not agreed a service or the charge then you don't have to pay it. If you do not pay it then the LA *could* look into issuing a Section 21 and terminating contract but they should not take action beyond that agreed by landlord.

If tenants do not argue the toss everytime Letting Agents make up Yet Another New Admin Charge then they'll keep doing it till they can replace their BMWs with Bentleys and 4-bed detached houses with country mansions.

Power to the People!

Read your tenancy agreement.

The letting agent can only impose those charges which you have agreed to in the letting contract.

Note

This is a self-help forum in which users share their experiences. Assistance is offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgement; obtain advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

This posting gives general guidance only. It is not an authoritative statement of the law. Consult a Solicitor for specific advice before deciding on any course of action.

Further information:

Assured and Shorthold tenancies - A guide for tenants

Renting and Leasehold - Advice from Shelter

All posts are opinion only

If you've found my suggestions useful, please click on my star and add a comment