Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Ok just an update sent my DQ recorded delivery, received by court 18/07/24, nothing yet showing on mcol. Deadline is Monday 22/07/24. Hopefully shows on before
    • So, the two child benefit cap is going to (rightly or wrongly) be a big issue, with the care of kids undoubtedly taking second place to political point scoring  ... Some think that parents should be responsible for kids, and the state pay as little as possible else the parents will just use having kids (which they then neglect) as a means of income for them to spend on fags and booze. Some think that benefits should be effectively there for anyone whatever the circumstances.   So what do people think might be some sort of solution?   I think that both those stances are extremes,  and you can be sure of just a few things 1. Neither or any approach fits all affected. There are some who will abuse the system, just as there are some left in genuine desperate need. 2. None of its the kids fault, and how they are treated will have a large impact on our nations future.   So, despite the claims of 'it means only rich people can have kids' which is rubbish, I think the cap should stay. ... BUT that free school meals should be introduced for all state school kids:   Which would * ensure our nations children kids get fed at least one meal a day with the funds intended for that * be a significant incentive to go to school for the poorer kids at least - keeping many off the streets and away from bad company * almost certainly reduce problems and increase productivity in the classroom from irritable hungry kids (per stats)   Not a perfect solution by any means - but seems a positive move to me.    
    • and more positive change From next year, mobile phone, paid television and broadband companies must inform customers of any price rises at the point of sale. The changes, ordered by Ofcom, will come into force on 17 January and mean that any mid-contract price rises must be given “in pounds and pence” and in a “clear and comprehensible” way.   Taken a change of government to do it after years of bluster about it eh?   Mobile phone companies banned from hiking prices mid-contract based on inflation WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The new year plan ensures providers are transparent on prices at the point of sale  
    • Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? It depends which country, I imagine. Most UK banks want proof of address and ID, probably more. If your friend/partner can use the house address and provide bills that could help. You would need to look at various online banks and see what their requirements are. Or there are expat accounts but I haven't looked closely at how they work. Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage) I'd have thought the DWP would pay to a new account, as long as the person they're authorised to deal with asks them and provides details. The international pensions people in Newcastle are pretty helpful.
    • HB - he has certainly given me a challenge ! I set a plan in motion. A refinance plan that would have enabled me to take time to sell one asset and sort out another for him.   The bank account blockage has hindered the plan.  His partner seems to think I can do everything w/o paying anyone for anything.  I don't mind helping - but it's not normal to clear out 2 properties, organize storage or sale of possessions, get properties ready for sale/ rent - w/o being paid.  He has the money to pay for things and services - and for my help - but the blockage prevents that. If the refinance plan could still be actioned then at least I would have some time to sell one asset.  Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage)
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Late rent and trouble with landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4641 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


Hoping someone can help us, we have been renting our home for 2.5 years now and our rent is £500/month payable on the 1st.


Due to my husband losing work and me getting paid 4 weekly it has made things a little difficult of late and our last 2 rent payments were slightly late (a few days) and the landlord stated he had £35 bank charges for each late payment due to his mortgage payment going out the same day (the 1st) so we paid these charges too.


Our rent is again due tomorrow but I do not get paid until friday 4th, then next month I don't get paid until the.

I contacted by text, our landlord on saturday to explain and today i receive a text stating :


'This does not suit us, your contract states payment by the 1st of each month. we have charges of £75 outstanding from this month due to late payment and this could have an effect on our credit rating and we cannot accept this. Please ensure payments are in as required or we will terminate your tenancy. As mentioned previously setting up a direct debit would resolve these issues'


We actually do not have money in the bank , a direct debit wont solve it until after december as it will just bounce anyway.


Please can someone tell me where we stand with this, not sure what to do :|

Link to post
Share on other sites

It states that the rent is payale in advance by euqal monthly payments on the 1st day of each month.


Later it states 'if the tenant is at least 14 days late in paying the rent or any part of it then subject to any statutory provisions the landlord may recover posession of the property and the tenancy will come to an end'


I hate tenancy agreements, too many clauses and acts etc etc


No mention of fees/charges.

And we have had no proof of charges, i have requested them now but know it will prob make it all worse



Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news & bad news.

Bad news - LL is entitled to receive rent on the 1st of month (cleared funds credited to his account on 1st)

LL could levy interest at 8.5% pa max on outstanding debt, ie ~£10 for each week £500 rent is outstanding.

Good news - Scale of charges for late payment not provided in advance. OFT dislike late charges for rent but allow credit cards to charge £12 / month.

The 14 day rule cannot terminate T. Normally it indicates a period after which full recovery of debt may be sought.

You are not resp for LLs mortgage payments, though default on his part may eventually put your T at risk.

Repeated late payment of your rent may allow LL to quote you as a consistent late payer in any repo action.

You need to find a way of having sufficient funds in your account to pay months rent on 27th of preceding month so they appear in LL account by 1st.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My comments only apply if the premises are entirely within England, and you were granted a shorthold tenancy (under which you have exclusive use of a separate dwelling, and the landlord does not live in the same building), and you were over 18 years of age when the tenancy was granted.


This posting is supplemental to the information in this forum's "sticky" threads and is NOT to be read in isolation.


Bear in mind that if you are a shorthold tenant, with a periodic tenancy, you can be evicted from the premises by simply being given 2 months notice, in writing, taking effect after the initial six months ends (expiring on the last day of a rent period). No reason has to be given. Where a dispute arises, concerning any matter, the landlord can simply end the tenancy in that way.



The landlord can give a section 8 notice (if the tenant is in breach of the tenancy agreement), or a section 21 notice (a no-fault notice to vacate).


To be valid, a section 21 notice must give the tenant at least 2 months notice, and a section 8 notice must give the tenant at least 2 weeks notice (or 2 months in some cases).


These notices are explained in more detail in the FAQ -


Shorthold Tenancy - posession, eviction and notice


If notice is given, the tenancy continues until the tenant moves out or the court bailiff executes an eviction order.


The landlord can only apply to the court AFTER the notice period has ended. A section 21 claim can be a quicker way of getting the tenant out, as there is no court hearing.



Section 8 Notice


This is a notice given by the landlord under section 8 of the Housing Act 1988. It's explained in more detail in the FAQ -


Shorthold Tenancy - possession, eviction and notice


The various grounds on which the landlord can give a section 8 notice are set out in full in Schedule 2 of the 1988 Act -




A tenancy can be ended by such a notice if there are (or have been) rent arrears. This notice (called a "section 8 notice") can be less than 2 months duration in certain circumstances, which are summarised in the afore-mentioned FAQ. Often, only 2 weeks notice has to be given before court proceedings can be started.


Further information about the Section 8 grounds under Schedule 2 of the 1988 Act.


Grounds 1 to 8 are mandatory [s.7(3), Housing Act 1988]: if the ground exists when the section 8 notice is served AND when the case is heard in court, the judge supposedly can't refuse possession. In reality he will typically give the tenant extra time to comply with the requirements.


The other grounds are discretionary [s.7(4), Housing Act 1988]: the judge can decide that the tenant's breach of contract is not severe enough to warrant evicting.


A notice given under section 8 is invalid unless it's in the prescribed form. Form No 3 prescribed by the 1997 Forms Regulations must be used for such a notice. A facsimilie of the form can be viewed at:




The Section 8 procedure is summarised at:





I recommend that you contact the Citizens Advice Bureau:


Find your nearest CAB office



For debt advice, I recommend that you contact -


• National Debtline (for England, Wales and Scotland):

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk [Tel 0808-808-4000]


• The Insolvency Helpline:


Edited by Ed999
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...