Help!!!! "ADVANTIS CREDIT" keep sending me a bill for a debt thats not mine.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Can someone out there help me?

I am a single mum with young children.

I bought my current property in 2002, about 9 years ago with my husband at the time.

Prior to that we lived at his parents for roughly i'd say 3 years.

At his parents home, there were four brothers and dad all with the same surname, let say Smith. Mum was the bill payer at the time.

When dad in law moved out with the other sons to a new house, we stayed on in the old house but were told we had to get out within two months.

When the two months were up, we paid off the gas , electric and water, for periods where we lived together and for the two months we lived on our own.

I still have receipts and copies of the bills.

Dont ask me why, but I do have them.

Our house was a complete mess, so we couldnt move in with our toddler, so we moved in with my brother until 1.5 years later, til we fixed up our house.

He did most of it himself.

Elec and gas was switched on and paid for , but used water next door, and since property was unhabitable, water was connected in 2004. Bills in my name.

A fortnight ago, I received a letter by Advantis credit who were instructed by United Utilities,

asking for the whereabouts of Mr Smith, previously resident at ...........(PARENTS HOME),with relation to an outstanding business matter.

I emailed my ex with the details, (totally annoyed that letter came to my address), who said that he'd sort it out.

Good riddance, so I thought. Until I received another letter with a bill for 3k, for a period uptil 2010.

We moved out in 2002 from his family home, lived at my brothers, purchased our own place and had water bills direct debited in 2004 in my name. Never missed a payment.

I would love to drop my inlaws into it, as it still remains their property, but my children remain in contact with them.

What do I do to stop the debt collectors knocking at my door?

The letters just come for Mr Smith, no first initial, but it wasnt this Mr Smith who had the bills in his name, it was his mum at the time,

and i dont know when they changed over to Mr Smith, but it wasnt this particular Smith.

What do I do? It isnt my bill but i've been dragged into it.

I hope this makes sense to someone, I am having sleepless nights, I swear.

statute barred - its more than 6yrs old

but anyhow..

do not open the letters

simply mark the envelopes - not at this address

and pop them back into the letterbox

DCA's have no more legal powers that you or me

so dont get no sleep because of them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi, dx

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Dont mean to seem blonde, but how did you get to 6 years. Letter from debt agency, dont mention the "from" date, just the period "ending" date.

What I forgot to mention was that in laws lived in two adjoining properties internally structured as 1.

It seems as if bills werent paid for either property for roughly last 5 years????? Not sure, just guessing.

but anyway

util bills cannot be chased after 1yrs as such

pers i'd just return all the letters

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi ummee

Rest assured that you are not alone with this sort of behaviour.

Last year, I was contacted by the same DCA, chasing a water bill from United Utilities.

It related to an address about 120 miles from where I live.

Do as DX suggests and send letters back.

You have the proof of where you have lived for the past number of years, utility bills etc.

If you contact them, they take no notice of what you say anyway.

Definitely stay off the phone

Don't loose sleep because of these goons.

cheers

Hi,

Thanks guys for your time and advice.

I will do as you say and return the unopened mail.

I requested and now recieved a statement from united utilities confirming all my dd with them since i've moved into property. Hopefully that should be enough. l

Will keep you informed.