Nervous!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:?

Hi,

Found this site through Martyn Lewis and the Radio2 site.

I was stung over Christmas for over £200 of bank charges, so I am pretty certain they owe me a packet over 6 years! :evil:

However I still feel a little like it's my own stupid fault for not controlling my bank account better :? , this site is helping me to overcome those ridiculous thoughts though! I have a horrible feeling that I will be the one person that they make a stand against, not that I'm paranoid or anything! :roll::shock:

Please reassure me I'm doing the right thing! I so want to be brave and win this!

Penny Less

Q) Why is there always so much month left at the end of the money?

EDITED.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are SO doing the right thing.

The banks are given a position of trust unique in society. They are trusted to be fair, honest and open about moving around money that ultimately doesn't belong to them, and making enough from the interest involved in holding such sums to stay in business. That is how they have been viewed up until the early 1990s when hardliner business suits moved in and decided that the idea of a bank was another business that could be exploited for pure profit.

Since then, that's exactly what's happened. The bank has changed into a profit-targeted business which holds the ultimate objective of making money, money and yet more money.

They have CEASED TO CARE about their customers. So don't feel guilty for getting out the cane and giving the bank a good hiding with it, because it's no longer your friend, its no longer trustworthy and it's about time a few more people taught it the lesson that NO BANK IS ABOVE THE LAW and we simply won't tolerate this kind of behaviour from those we thought we could trust any more.

:?

Errr, Dave, I think I may have misled you! I heard about the Martyn Lewis site via Radio2, then I found you through him! Sorry! :oops:

As you can tell, not terribly technically minded, so no chance of me being able to post a link! :roll:

Thank you for you messages of support, I have read a fair few posts on here and reading what banks have got away with really stirs you up! The point I read about the terms & conditions was so valid, we HAVE to accept them, because we HAVE to have a bank account to pay wages into! To think that the banks are "banking" on people like me who feel too pathetically timid to fight them, well, this worm has turned! :twisted:

I shall keep you informed as to my progress.

Penny Less

EDITED.

:evil:

Ok, from being "nervous" about this, I am now determined. I got a balance for my account on Fri 17 and discovered I had gone £34.05 over my limit, so I whizzed into town and paid in £100, hastily "borrowed" from my mother! Only to get home and discover that Halifax had sent letters informing me of charges, £30 for one transaction of £30, £30 for one of £9.18, and a £28 fee for exceeding my overdraft! :shock:

The transactions went through on the 15 Feb, the letters are dated 15 Feb, damn quick off the mark, eh? :roll: So I phoned them, got the usual guff, told that the £100 CASH I'd paid in wouldn't clear until the 22 Feb as I'd paid it into an ATM, (and that was only because I was on my lunch break and there were queues at the cashiers). So, they can generate letters to me on the same day that I go overdrawn, but they cannot process a CASH transaction for 5 days, I told them that was outrageous! All I was offered was the derisory "goodwill gesture" of deleting ONE charge, I told her that was not good enough, that I expected ALL charges to be deleted. At the end of the day they are going to charge me £98 for going over the overdraft limit by £34.05, for little more that 24 hours!! :shock::shock:

So, my letters to the HO and branch go off recorded delivery today.

Penny Less

EDITED.

:evil:

Ok, from being "nervous" about this, I am now determined. I got a balance for my account on Fri 17 and discovered I had gone £34.05 over my limit, so I whizzed into town and paid in £100, hastily "borrowed" from my mother! Only to get home and discover that Halifax had sent letters informing me of charges, £30 for one transaction of £30, £30 for one of £9.18, and a £28 fee for exceeding my overdraft! :shock:

The transactions went through on the 15 Feb, the letters are dated 15 Feb, damn quick off the mark, eh? :roll: So I phoned them, got the usual guff, told that the £100 CASH I'd paid in wouldn't clear until the 22 Feb as I'd paid it into an ATM, (and that was only because I was on my lunch break and there were queues at the cashiers). So, they can generate letters to me on the same day that I go overdrawn, but they cannot process a CASH transaction for 5 days, I told them that was outrageous! All I was offered was the derisory "goodwill gesture" of deleting ONE charge, I told her that was not good enough, that I expected ALL charges to be deleted. At the end of the day they are going to charge me £98 for going over the overdraft limit by £34.05, for little more that 24 hours!! :shock::shock:

So, my letters to the HO and branch go off recorded delivery today.

Penny Less

EDITED.

They did the same to me totalling about £100ish and when I challenged them a bit they siad that the direct debits and cheques were taken out at around 5am!! And even though I paid in cash at a counter!!! at 12pm!!! and got a reciept to say they had my money!!! on that day!!!. I said how am I supposed to put money in the bank at 5am and they told me it should have been in the day before. So if I am correct it means that the banks now expect to have the money for a day more than should really be necessary. On the phone I even told them that if I put any more money into my account I will not be able to go shopping for food for my wife and child because they keep stealing it from me. I know it sounds a bit of a sob story but unfortunatly its true. They just told me that it is my responsibility to keep my account in order......I thought they were thievings beggers but this beggers belief!!!! :evil:

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

(£509.60amex..£396.31 Halifax credit card....£768.47+£783.99 Halifax current account)

so crooked they use a corkscrew for a ruler!(allegedly)

They did the same to me totalling about £100ish and when I challenged them a bit they siad that the direct debits and cheques were taken out at around 5am!! And even though I paid in cash at a counter!!! at 12pm!!! and got a reciept to say they had my money!!! on that day!!!. I said how am I supposed to put money in the bank at 5am and they told me it should have been in the day before. So if I am correct it means that the banks now expect to have the money for a day more than should really be necessary. On the phone I even told them that if I put any more money into my account I will not be able to go shopping for food for my wife and child because they keep stealing it from me. I know it sounds a bit of a sob story but unfortunatly its true. They just told me that it is my responsibility to keep my account in order......I thought they were thievings beggers but this beggers belief!!!! :evil:

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

(£509.60amex..£396.31 Halifax credit card....£768.47+£783.99 Halifax current account)

:roll: You are right gomadnomad, it beggars belief! The worst was the repetition from the call operator and supervisor, I ended up asking her not to patronise me! Telling me I should not use the debit card if I "knew I had insufficient funds in the account". That's the point, I didn't know!! I still don't understand why they do not decline a card when you have insufficient funds. Oh, wait, that's 'cos they can make money out of you!! :roll::wink:

I have just tried to open an account online, but the account I want asks if I can pay in a minimum of £600 a month. But I just want to open an account in case Halifax get stroppy! I suppose I could just DD half my salary from Halifax to the new account? What do you reckon? :?

Penny Less

EDITED.

:roll: You are right gomadnomad, it beggars belief! The worst was the repetition from the call operator and supervisor, I ended up asking her not to patronise me! Telling me I should not use the debit card if I "knew I had insufficient funds in the account". That's the point, I didn't know!! I still don't understand why they do not decline a card when you have insufficient funds. Oh, wait, that's 'cos they can make money out of you!! :roll::wink:

I have just tried to open an account online, but the account I want asks if I can pay in a minimum of £600 a month. But I just want to open an account in case Halifax get stroppy! I suppose I could just DD half my salary from Halifax to the new account? What do you reckon? :?

Penny Less

EDITED.

Well after a bit of thought I rekon that a current account with the post office would be a good idea..I mean if they aren't beholdent to the law of the land who is. If they started imposing these ridiculous charges then it would be surley quite a wasps nest. What do Bankfodder and Dave think

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

Well after a bit of thought I rekon that a current account with the post office would be a good idea..I mean if they aren't beholdent to the law of the land who is. If they started imposing these ridiculous charges then it would be surley quite a wasps nest. What do Bankfodder and Dave think

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

Sorry Pennyless I forgot to mention that my reasoning is that the Post Office is still wholly as in 100% owned by the government!!!

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

Sorry Pennyless I forgot to mention that my reasoning is that the Post Office is still wholly as in 100% owned by the government!!!

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

A very interesting idea. But isn't it privatised?

A very interesting idea. But isn't it privatised?

The post office website says

Royal Mail Group plc is a public limited company wholly owned by the Government' not really sure what this means. Anybody?

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

The post office website says

Royal Mail Group plc is a public limited company wholly owned by the Government' not really sure what this means. Anybody?

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

I'll continue thread in General if thats ok so as not to duplicate info when I get post office T&C tomorrow

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

I'll continue thread in General if thats ok so as not to duplicate info when I get post office T&C tomorrow

Thats 4 in the BAG!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks