TootingTrouble and Fitness First Membership problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem! I signed up on the last day of a "membership drive" and was told the first month was a trial month, thereafter I had until my first direct debit to cancel the membership no questions asked. After this I needed to give a months notice.

I was in a huge rush and didn't read the terms and conditions booklett. My fault. But I asked the relevant questions I thought.

I then tried to cancel within the time I believed was allowed and was told I'd signed a 12 month contract which I couldn't cancel at any point. In fact the first person I spoke to told me I had only had three days from the day I signed up to cancel. Horrified I asked to give one months notice, no can do, or perhaps pay a 'break of contract' fee, nope.

I then went to the branch, and asked them what I could do, they said actually there was no problem because I was still within my "cooling off period" as they recognised the first month was a trial month. I pointed out head office didn't agree, they apologised and said they must have misunderstood the first month trial period and that I could cancel. I needed to make an appointment and sign some forms but no problem.

I did this and then popped in a few days later to check all was okay. I was assured it was although at that point I was still on the system. I called a couple of days later and was told there was a small problem, just that they had a male photo for me so were confused, I promised them I was in fact a woman and that the membership was mine, they said again no problem, it would be cancelled. I called again a few days later and was told the membership had been deactivated and the cancellation successfully processed. Great!

Now a week later I have just received a call from head office saying my branch have no idea why I think I can leave but that I'm in a contract and owe them money. I cannot leave the contract at any point before 12 months. I was yet again stunned by this, I said please speak to my branch, but no the branch had in fact called them to say that I couldn't leave, no idea what this "trial month" is but tough.

Even though I cancelled well within the ten days of my first paying month, so before the first direct debit came out of my account, because they are now denying the existence of any "trial month" I am stuck in a 12 month contract???!!!!

I am so confused and furious because every person I speak to seems to say something else. Obviously the staff at the club said anything they could to get us to sign up, how can that be legal? But then when I went back, they all knew about this trial month and were very happy to let me leave.

But the head office has no idea about the trial month and now the club is denying they know anything about it too??????Deleted It feels a little like the twilight zone here.

Does anyone have any advice or perhaps suggestions of who to speak to and how to go about dealing with this? I am leaving the country in a couple of months, one of the reasons I was so careful I WASN'T signing a long-term contract, and I cannot keep paying for a membership for a gym in a different hemisphere to where I live, it's absurd! Please please help!!!

Thanks.

Edited by slick132
Put in paras to make it legible. Implied swearing also removed

Hi TT and welcome to CAG.

I've put your post into your own thread, put paras into it so it's legible and removed your implied swearword !! :wink:

Like you say, the staff will do anything to get you to sign up. Then, when it all goes wrong, they leave it to HO to tell you what you've REALLY signed up for.

See this thread - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?321756-Fitness-First-Cancellation-Period-Cooling-Off-period-HELP!!!!&p=3571842&viewfull=1#post3571842

Also this one - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?318285-What-could-i-do-to-cancel-fitness-first-membership-Please-help!&p=3539616&viewfull=1#post3539616

If you think the 2nd link is similar to your case (where you were mis-led by the gym staff into joining, thinking you had a Cooling Off period). So you could adapt and use the letter I drafted for Eclectric.

:-D

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)