• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Desperate for LU advice please; old_codja and undergroud esp pls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi justice,

Thanks for that your advice is very valuable.

The problem I have is with what the inspector wrote which is not entirely true. It seems like he has twisted the conversation that we had and therefore my only discrepancy is with the last part of the statements of facts written on the documentation. Is there anything that can be done to recitify this?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BazarS can you read the posts before too please. Also I'd rather not get into a debate about this I was just trying to make a few important points

I'd read the posts visible at the point at which I started composing my reply. Those included the multiple times sailor Sam (and others) had asked how many times you had used the freedom pass that wasn't issued to you, and your replies that it was just that once (when you were caught) but also your other comment in a different reply that you'd also used it earlier that day, too.

I noted that there had been comment on the different colour wallets the Oyster and freedom passes come in, and no comment by you how you'd managed to use the wrong colour wallet (or explain why the passes weren't in their original wallets).

You are of course free to not regard this as a debate, to not answer questions raised, to make those points you consider important and choose to disregard points others might feel important / relevant : you can also choose to take or not to take advice offered - after all, you are the one who has been summonsed.

I note that one previous reply notes a possible estimated fine if found guilty, based on an "average wage". Would that equally apply to someone on "an average wage for a professor", as the OP has stated their profession?.

Hi justice,

Thanks for that your advice is very valuable.

The problem I have is with what the inspector wrote which is not entirely true. It seems like he has twisted the conversation that we had and therefore my only discrepancy is with the last part of the statements of facts written on the documentation. Is there anything that can be done to recitify this?

You can only write with your version of events and ask the prosecution to consider allowing an administrative settlement, or. pay a solicitor to do it for you. The rail company do not have to agree, but will reassess the strength of their case.

If you say that the inspector's statement is false and you are in receipt of a Summons, you should enter a 'not guilty' plea. The case will then be adjourned to trial when that inspector's evidence will be tested.

If you say 'I plead guilty, but the report is not what happened', the Court are likely to consider your plea equivocal and you will probably have to attend Court to explain

The misuse of Freedom passes IS a serious problem and will normally result in prosecution

Thanks old codja, there are four lines that make up the statement of facts. The very last sentence is just not true and that is what strengthens their case by falsifying a statment they claimed I made. How will I prove that I did not say this how can the inspector prove that I did?

Also if I decide to plea guilty then can this not be done in absence ?

Thanks old codja, there are four lines that make up the statement of facts. The very last sentence is just not true and that is what strengthens their case by falsifying a statment they claimed I made. How will I prove that I did not say this how can the inspector prove that I did?

Also if I decide to plea guilty then can this not be done in absence ?

Then you should plead 'not guilty' and have the evidence tested at trial.

Yes, you can plead guilty by letter, but if you are innocent, why woud you want to ??

There is nothing to be gained by doing that if your wish is to avoid a criminal record. If you plead guilty then a conviction will be recorded

It's so confusing it just seems like a lose lose situation and a conviction is not what I want. How can they test written evidence, the inspector claims I said something that I did not. Had that sentence not be written in the statement of facts their prosecution would not have looked substantial and for a couple of pounds "evasion" surely there would be a better solution

So are you implying what the statement says is completely different to what actually happened, you signed for a different version? Have they enclosed a photocopy of the transcript? If u say that there is a mistake then you should as has been suggested plead not guilty and test their evidence in court. At the end if the day you signed to agree thay your version of events had been recorded properly by the inspector.

Hi there sailor sam,

I accidentally used it once while having a oyster card with credit, if that's made things any clearer for u.

He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass. So sailor sam, no disrespect but i feel there are diplomatic ways of putting things forward to ppl that need help and advice and there shud b a slight human emotional touch there too

For the record I am a professor.

I appreciate all the advice and info and will continue to ask questions and learn things.

Many many thanks to everyone who is advising useful info and the support being given and I'm sure all the other ppl on here feel the same.

May God bless everyone and sailor sam included to be happy and prosperous.

You 'accidently' used someone else's freedom pass? And your'e a professor? Seems to me that you need further education.

I wonder how many times you would of continued to use the pass had you had not been caught? In any event having worked in the industry and knowing bhow much the scheme costs, I will make no further input other than what I have previously said which I completely stand by.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Sailor sam I truly wish you wellness in your life, Everyone can make a mistake God forbid even yourself which Im sure would not be down to or LACK of education.

"growth in wisdom maybe exactly measured by a decrease in bitterness" Friedrich Neitzsche

Hi mr gates,

Yes I agree with what you are saying I would say 99% of the conversation I had with the inspector I adhere and agree with in terms of ques and ans however there is one statement I do disagree with. How would a judge prove who said what when it was all verbal. The transcript of the conversation is not a photocopy but has been typed out? Is that normally how it is received. There is no signature of mine on the notes either

It's so confusing it just seems like a lose lose situation and a conviction is not what I want. How can they test written evidence, the inspector claims I said something that I did not. Had that sentence not be written in the statement of facts their prosecution would not have looked substantial and for a couple of pounds "evasion" surely there would be a better solution
By 'statement of facts', are you referring to the written witness statement of the inspector? If so, their statement would be backed up by evidence in the form of the inspector's notes, which you would have been asked to sign. If there is something in the signed transcript which is not true, you will unfortunately find it extremely hard to overturn unless you have some counter-evidence. If there is no such signed transcript then the evidence is flimsy at best and you should seek the advice of a solicitor.

Hi justice

By statement of facts I am referring to the paragraph within which they are charging me for. They have stated that this is what will be read out to the judge.

I chose not to sign the notes and I don't think I would have counter evidence by something I did or didnt say I think it would be his word against mine.

Basically in the inspectors notes there is one sentence that he says I've said and I say I didnt.

Hi justice

By statement of facts I am referring to the paragraph within which they are charging me for. They have stated that this is what will be read out to the judge.

I chose not to sign the notes and I don't think I would have counter evidence by something I did or didnt say I think it would be his word against mine.

Basically in the inspectors notes there is one sentence that he says I've said and I say I didnt.

I think you will find that the paragraph you are referring to is the 'statement of facts' that will be read out if you plead guilty. If you do not plead guilty, there are no facts, only evidence. The facts would then be determined by the magistrates after hearing all evidence.

If you refused to sign the inspector's notes, then they would ask their colleague to counter sign. However, if you disagree with something that is written in the report then you would still be able to contest it. You would need to consult a solicitor on this and show them all the evidence in order for them to assess the admissibility of the evidence.

As Justice has said, the 'Statement of facts' is a brief summary of the case against you and is summarised from the Witness Statement, which puts the detailed allegation of evidence obtained by the inspector. If you plead guilty you are deemed to be accepting those details as factual.

If you disagree with any of that, you should correctly plead not guilty and the evidence will be tested orally at trial where both the inspector and you may be questioned on oath before the Magistrates. They will decide on the evidence put before them who they believe.

I received a magistrates court today for: contrary to s.5(3)(a) of the regulation of railways act 1889 as amended by section 84(2) of the transport act 1962 and section 18 of the british railways act 1970.

the inspector claims I said something that I did not. Had that sentence not be written in the statement of facts their prosecution would not have looked substantial

In your comment above, you are claiming that the inspector fabricated a comment attributed to you. If you are saying that you believe this comment is material to whether or not there is evidence that you intended to avoid a fare then your correct plea is 'Not guilty'.

Edited by Old-CodJA