UK Debt & CCJ Advice - Please Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been desperately looking for answers but could not find one for my situation, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated please!

I was a student in the UK (non-resident) and left to go back home but left my account open (in case I ever returned). I made a direct debit payment which brought my account slightly over. I transferred money to cover this amount and left it at that. A couple or so years later I have moved to Australia and I get an e-mail from the bank saying they have been trying to contact me. Turns out a bank charge brought me into my overdraft by a few pennies and subsequent charges brought my debt into £800 and they transferred this to the Debt Collection department and suspended my account (I think, cannot view it online anymore).

I called them up and was told that a CCJ will be issued if I do not repay this amount. They have a relative's UK address as this was the last address I changed it to before I left.

From what I have gathered online, a CCJ cannot be made against a Non-UK Resident...is this true? Or what will be the case?

What will happen if I just leave the unpaid amount to the bank? Will this affect my credit rating and will this ever be cleared or can it ever go away (I was told something about 6 years but I am unclear on what exactly happens)?

I am concerned because I hope to return to the UK at some point in the not so near future for a few years and will this stop me in any way, say not being able to open a bank account or even entering the country? I don't really plan on getting any mortgages or car loans maybe perhaps only a phone contract.

If I was to get dual citizenship and went into the UK with a new passport and nationality can this bad credit rating/CCJ still follow me? Sorry, I am quite clueless and at a loss over what to do!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cat789

I called them up and was told that a CCJ will be issued if I do not repay this amount. They have a relative's UK address as this was the last address I changed it to before I left.

They cannot obtain a CCJ against a non-UK resident, any mail sent to that address should be returned unopened and marked 'Not At This Address'. They will also be unable to pursue in Aus due to a recent court ruling, see; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?304615-It-is-now-apparent-that-it-will-be-practically-impossible-to-enforce-a-UK-debt-in-Oz

What will happen if I just leave the unpaid amount to the bank? Will this affect my credit rating and will this ever be cleared or can it ever go away (I was told something about 6 years but I am unclear on what exactly happens)?

They will have trashed your UK credit file but that will be clean after six years. They cannot touch your Oz credit file.

I am concerned because I hope to return to the UK at some point in the not so near future for a few years and will this stop me in any way, say not being able to open a bank account or even entering the country?

It won't prevent you coming back to the UK, it's a civil matter not a criminal one. If you open a new bank a/c or try to get credit they will want to know your previous addresses for the past five years so if you include any UK addresses they will be able to link your old credit file to you.