large halifax CC debt - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a new member of the forums and I am in a difficult situation and dont know how to sort it out so I would be grateful for any help. I have been reading the forums to see if I can find a similar situation to mine but as yet havent found one.

My situation. -

I have almost 10,000 debt on a Halifax credit card.

I have always paid on time each and month but now the interest is such that I am paying £150+ a month in interest only.

I have not worked for 3 years. I was self employed but went out of business and have not been able to find another job. I am 60 years old which is making it more difficult and not in the best of health.

I am married but my wife suffers from ill health and she claims benefits. I do not get any benefit in my name, the benefits office told us that the simplest way was for my wife to claim as a couple and therefore I have no personal income at all.

My wifes name is not on the credit card account, I had the card before we married.

We have a mortgage with the Halifax which is in my wifes name only as she was in the process of buying her council house when we met so I couldnt go on the mortgage.

We simply cant meet the payments any longer and dont know what to do.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction please.

Thank you.

My personal advice would be to go to your Local CAB (Citizens Advice) they have trained people to help you with debts, also they will help you with any benefits you may be able to claim. If you dont fancy going there then I would highly recommend Age UK they are brilliant. what you need is to get interest being applied for a 12 month period so you are paying the debt down both those organisations will help get that to happen. Actually perhaps Age UK is a better bet, there is many ways to get payment reduced etc (i dont know exactly) others will give advice to that.

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Thank you, unfortunatly neither can really help. We have had advice and are getting all the benefits we are entitled to but we still cant manage the payments. My wife is 10 years younger than me and according to age concern any benefit I would get in my name would be taken off my wifes as she calims for us as a couple which is what the benefits office advised.

I really need to know how to deal witth the Halifax as I just cant meet the payment due in the next few days.

you should not be paying them anything like £150!

more like £1PCM

have you investigated reclaiming?

PPI

unlawful charges [ovr/late] etc?

i'd contact CCCS or payplan

with regard to a debt management plan

do it yourself with our help

the will prob freezez the interest too

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I need to write to them but Im worried on so many levels. Ive never been in a situation like this before.

I contacted cccs but as the debt is in my name only and I have zero personal income they cant really help.

I know I need to stop making the payments otherwise we are not going to keep up the mortgage but Im worried about court and debt collectors getting involved. Also the fact that the mortgage is with the Halifax is worrying us.

as already said

they cant touch the mortgage

this is NOT a priority debt

and DCA's have no LEGAL powers to do ANYTHING to you

they are NOT bailiffs

TBH: you need to do some reading around.

at the end of the day, you canr afford the debt at £150PCM

you need to TELL them in a simple letter that due to your financial situation

they will only be getting £1PCM for the forseeable future.

DONT negotiate with them, TELL them.

they can threaten all they like but they'll never go near ANY court as long as you pay SOMETHING

on a regular basis.

i wouls suggest you also get a copy of your CRA file

does it show?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Please take the excellent advice from DX tell them you are paying £1 a month until you contact them to tell them otherwise. DCA's have about as much legal right as the paperboy so dont worry about that. And Yes they will threaten you with all sorts but as DX has said as long as you make a payment regularly then they wont touch you. Imagine if they went to court and the judge ordered you to pay a £1 a month. Also PPI needs to be looked at. If you can see any then post back here and advice will be given by the members.

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)