• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Santander PPI on Debenhams Store Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I had the same letter from the FOS about Financial Insurance accepting responsibility. I am so looking forward to this one, waited so long for this and they got a charging order on my house. Took out the store card in 1995 and paid ppi on it until 2004 so should be good....

Waiting patiently!!

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I took the Debenham Card in 1995, Santander rejected the claim saying you tick the box. I passed it to FOS, they told me as they were not regulated and they cannot help but try with the Underwriter. Genworth refused to accept that they were the underwriter, while Santander sent me policy summary which says it was Genworth (Financial Insurance), what should I do? please someone help. Thanks

I took the Debenham Card in 1995, Santander rejected the claim saying you tick the box. I passed it to FOS, they told me as they were not regulated and they cannot help but try with the Underwriter. Genworth refused to accept that they were the underwriter, while Santander sent me policy summary which says it was Genworth (Financial Insurance), what should I do? please someone help. Thanks
Tell Genworth to provide strict proof that they were not the underwriter. Get confirmation in writing from Santander that Genworth were the underwriter. (one thing for them to send policy summary with G named, andother for them to actually confirm) Have you tried the FLA too?

• 1 month later...

Have received a request from Genworth to get a 'final response letter' from Santander.....Received that letter 3 weeks ago...have now sent that along with evidence from Santander stating that they had no idea what took place regarding sales process in store...now waiting for reply from Genworh...lets see!!!

RE: PPI on any Santander Store Cards

I have helped many friends and collegues claim back mis-sold PPI from Santander. I could help you claim back from santander and any of there asscociates. i have exstensive knowledge of PPI sold by this particular lender. I have a large list of store cards that had PPI on them as well as details of the underwriters. I am not a Financial Advisor but i could assit you with your claim. Just drop me an e-mail (Edit) I will be more than happy to help you :-)

Edited by Andyorch
Personal contact details removed.

All advice should be given here on the thread and not by way of personal email contact...please refrain from doing this.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

RE: PPI on any Santander Store Cards

I have helped many friends and collegues claim back mis-sold PPI from Santander. I could help you claim back from santander and any of there asscociates. i have exstensive knowledge of PPI sold by this particular lender. I have a large list of store cards that had PPI on them as well as details of the underwriters. I am not a Financial Advisor but i could assit you with your claim. Just drop me an e-mail (Edit) I will be more than happy to help you :-)

Ok, e-mail is out, can you help here, Do you know who was the underwritter for Debenhams Card from May 1995 to 2004

Ok, e-mail is out, can you help here, Do you know who was the underwritter for Debenhams Card from May 1995 to 2004

Hello, see post #41 above, I believe this company, Genworth etc. is the one you want.

Hi, I had the same letter from the FOS about Financial Insurance accepting responsibility. I am so looking forward to this one, waited so long for this and they got a charging order on my house. Took out the store card in 1995 and paid ppi on it until 2004 so should be good....

Waiting patiently!!

What evidence did you provide FOS that shows the Financial Insurance company were the Underwriter of the policy in 1995? as FOS asking me to provide Policy documents, which I do not have. Thanks

Received letter from Genworth....they will settle..but I have advised my colleague that offer is too low....store card opened in 1994....up till 2006...simple interest at 8%...total offer just £648.00 including premiums...any thoughts please...should they also have included contractual interest?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received an offer which is far too low so will copying this in and sending a copy of the spreadsheet and asking them to calculate as per FSA guidelines which means the 8% should be added when the account

other approaches taken by businesses

Some businesses take a different approach, or at least present their calculations differently to consumers. Some businesses present their redress calculations as:

An offer set out like this could indicate that the business has calculated compensation using a different approach to the one we would usually expect. But it could be that the business has carried out a full hypothetical reconstruction of the account and simply presented its results in a different way. In our experience, setting an offer out like that is likely to be confusing for the consumer. is in credit. On the other payments it should be compound interest at the rate on the card mostly on these around 24.9%

I have also received an offer that I consider to be far too low. I have asked them to provide a breakdown of how they have calculated the redress and I have also stated that I think 8% simple interest should actually be the interest that was applied to my account which I believe was 29.9% !! We shall see what their response is, it has taken me years to get to this point. If anyone has any more correspondence please keep us all posted so that we know what we are looking at here.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I need some help if possible. I wrote to Genworth concerning their offer of redress and told them that before I would accept any offer I wanted to see a breakdown of how they arrived at the redress figure. I also stated that I believed their offer of 8% simple interest per annum should revised as I was being charged 29.9% and their offer should reflect that.

The letter I received back helped not a jot they just state that I paid £1,088.55 in premiums from 23 june 95 to 12 july 04 (where did this figure come from!) the montly premium therefore was calculated at £10.08 - 8% simple interest is then applied to each individual monthly premium up to the date of redress, HMRC take 20% and I get the difference.

Hence Premium £1088.55

Interest £ 918.30

Withheld tax £229.57

Payment £2006.85

Not satisfactory in my mind - what about the 29.9% interest I was paying every month.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet that will give me the correct way of working this out?

THanks

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Genworth are the insurer and an underwriter's offer will always be premiums plus 8% simple interest as they have described above.

They are not responsible for the interest charged by the lender and will not repay that.

In order to get the contractual interest back then it is the lender who should be pursued for the claim.

• 2 months later...

Hi, sorry to reopen this thread but Santander were not regulated at the time therefore the FOC were unable to pursue them but took on the Insurance company Genworth, who have settled with 8% standard interest. Phoned FOC to discuss and they said that this is all Genworth are liable for. However Santander were chargnig 29.9% on the balance including ins. ppi premiums therefore surely they should refund this interest as it was money they should not have been taking? Can anyone advise.

MBNA

Settled after LBA

MINT

to go:

Barclays CC - to mcol

and some more

Yers to both of you....Contractual Interest rate was what was signed on the agreement...and at the compunded rate...it appears that they are using 8% to save money for them....

Hello Means, last post prompted me to ask, did you ever pursue contractual interest with Santander please? I also have had 8% offer from Genworth, and was considering going after Santander, but not sure it would be productive. Thanks t