Can I get my deposit back? Wedding Disaster !!

splodge19
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I booked our wedding the end of 2010. We booked it for August 2012 and we were having the reception at a hotel and paid a £600 deposit.

In Feb this year, I was made redundant, which meant I also lost a good wage. I found a new job, but the money isn't great, so we thought long and hard and decided to cancel the wedding reception at the hotel because there was just no way we could afford it. I wrote a letter on the 18th May 2011 to cancel the wedding, and I did try and appeal to the general manager's better nature for our £600 deposit back but received a letter back saying that we can only get it back if they resell the room. (Unfortunately, I think I've thrown the letter away by accident :-()

I hadn't heard anything since and wondered whether they would actually tell us if they had resold the room, so I called them today to make a pretend booking. I was told that the room was already booked and thought "great we can get deposit back", but it would appear it's our booking that they haven't cancelled out of the diary from 5 months ago!

Do you think we will be able to get our deposit back as they couldn't have rebooked the room because it wasn't even cancelled. The lady I spoke to who is the wedding co-ordinator had no record of cancellation! The conversation ended with her saying she would have a word with the general manager.

I hope we can! Any advice would be great.

• Haha 1

Hi Splodge,

Interesting post. It's a shame you don't have that letter from the manager. I would like to ask the rest of the forum if this comes under 'Freedom of Information' or if an 'SAR' is needed to get the hotel to prove the wedding was cancelled ??

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Lex

I've looked everywhere, but can't find the letter :mad2: I'm so annoyed with myself.

I've found the original contract that we had with them, but we never signed it or sent it back to them. I don't know if this would make any difference?

We were willing to accept that we may have lost our deposit, even though we really could do with it! But now we know that we cancelled 5 months ago but the booking is still there in the diary, we wonder whether anyone may have tried to book :???:

wow edited in the time i took to report it!

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

{I've found the original contract that we had with them, but we never signed it or sent it back to them. I don't know if this would make any difference?}

I would've thought this makes all the difference in the world, no signed contract, no booking!

Have you still got the receipt for the deposit?

Hi, the terms and conditions on cancellation are:

Cancellation

a) In the event of cancellation we regret that the initial booking deposit can only be refunded if the room is resold for a similar event.

If the event is still in the diary after 5 months of cancelling in writing then the room can't be resold? I do have the receipt for the deposit.

The hotel website is www.stonemanorhotel.co.uk

I've spoken to consumer direct, but they don't think that any of the above makes a difference. They said I should write to the hotel asking them to justify why they still have our booking in their diary when we had cancelled it and to send it recorded delivery?

Thanks

Splodge

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Spoldge, very well done !!!

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.