vjohn82 Libel Case - after posting a review on a website about their book

vjohn82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm being sued by an author after posting a review on a website about their book. After taking exception to my words, amongst other things, the individual and his company (a vanity press publisher) are suing me for defamation.

The case has been listed at the Royal Court's of Justice for the 10th and 11th of November... 2 x 6hr hearings in front of, I believe, Justice Eady.

My blog is here: http://vjohn82libelcase.blogspot.com/

It's been really tough, much tougher than I imagined, to defend this case.

Approx. 4000 documents have been created by the Claimants. It is believed that the Claimants want damages exceeding £1/2 million. They are claiming costs of over £12k for these two day hearings alone.

If everyone can try and promote my cause a little, I would really appreciate it. I know everyone is busy with their own cases so I am trying to rely on some of the goodwill I have hopefully built up in the 3 years I have known some of you.

A £1 donation would REALLY help towards my costs of getting to London and back for the two days.

If you can get the word out there for me, that would really help too.

Thanks,

VJ

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A fasinating case - it would be hilarious if not so stressful for VJ and his family. I am sure that you have the support of everyone here mate, particularly if they have a look at your blog. It comes to something when someone cannot post comments about a xxxxxxxxx publication on a public forum without being sued and insulted by a total [PROBLEM] (i censored that myself by the way to save CAG the trouble, but sure that you can think of a suitable word to insert)

• Haha 1

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

hi vjohn82,

just read this thread, first can i say when you take someone to court for this kind of monies you need to know the defendant has some monies to pay it to you, or how on earth are you ever going to pay it the amount you are being sued for, are you a millionaire, or am i missing something, also are you being represented, do you have house insurance which covers legal cover, it would not cover for this amount, but if you do have, have you spoken to the insurance company, can you get no win no fee solicitor, or even a barrister, it just does not add up where you are going to get the monies they are sueing you for to pay them, if you could perhaps clarify some of the above, as it does not make any sense to me at the minute, and i am trying to help, best totiesquoties.

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

hi vjohn82,

just read this thread, first can i say when you take someone to court for this kind of monies you need to know the defendant has some monies to pay it to you, or how on earth are you ever going to pay it the amount you are being sued for, are you a millionaire, or am i missing something, also are you being represented, do you have house insurance which covers legal cover, it would not cover for this amount, but if you do have, have you spoken to the insurance company, can you get no win no fee solicitor, or even a barrister, it just does not add up where you are going to get the monies they are sueing you for to pay them, if you could perhaps clarify some of the above, as it does not make any sense to me at the minute, and i am trying to help, best totiesquoties.

I'm not a millionaire... but the other Defendants are. I'm the luckless individual unfortunately.

No insurance for this.

Receiving some help pro bono.

• Haha 1

Thanks CD for bringing this to everyones attention, it is absolutely ridiculous, any sane educated person can see that this fool is simply driven by money!

Sorry I couldn't donate more VJ, maybe I will be able to donate more in a supportive kind of way....

• Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

thanks for making clearer, does the claimant know you only work part time, and you are not a millionaire? also is the pro bono soliciitor able to go to court with you at all?

at the end of it all you can only pay what you can afford, at the worst case senario, i feel for you, and understand you have done a lot of good work too on this forum, over the years, and you have got into this awful situation you find yourself in, try not to stress too much, things have a way of sorting themselves out, if i can think of anything to help i will post again, all the best totiesquoties.

• Haha 1

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

I believe in god right, I dont understand why but I do. I also respect others do not believe in god and found nothing wrong with your book review, it was your interpretation of a book which amazon like all other books offers you a right to review.

How is this person affording to litigate?

and surely you should be the one requesting compensation for all the distress/costs you have incured, after all the amazon book did not say, review and not agree with the author and you will be sued !!!!!!!

Best of luck and lets hope common sense prevails xx

ps. Let the milton keynes citizen know what has happened to you and when you win get the story published locally and nationally xx :)

For goodness sake what has happened to right to reply. I suspect amazon have good lawyers and hope you get support too in getting this quashed xx

ps. I am no law expert, or god expert, just frustrated to see how much stress can be put on someone for an opinion and one of a good cagger at that xx

Donation sent by paypal,

T xx

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone.

I'm not sure how the claimant is paying for the action, he could well be fee exempt. But I suspect that the court action is to either force Amazon and the other two Defendants to settle out of court (because of the prohibitive cost of libel defences) or to cause maximum disruption in retaliation for me "exposing" the pseudonym and the unethical business practices employed by the claimant and his publishers.

Amazon and the other Defendants have really good lawyers...

I have confirmed with the firm helping me out that I will be able to conduct a large part of my case... but if it goes further I suspect, and they have intimated, that they will represent me pro bono. Hopefully this strike out action will end here and now. I wish I could reveal more... I really do... but I have to be careful what I reveal in a public forum.

I can''t see Amazon taking this lightly, I think I have aired my views on this idiot (polite word for what they really are) is. They should also be named as a 'vexatious litigant' in court records to prevent them from profiting from their addled brains. I am sure the judge will see that no real harm has happened to the person and he used the wrong vehicle for his 'marketeering'.

If his book had been any good it would have 'gone viral' and picked up readership that way. It sounds like he is a frustrated vanity publisher. Hopefully they will NOT gain from this little episode.

glad the bono ono solicitor will go with you, litigant in person is all well and good, but you need a solicitor there with you, as these people can run rings round you, with their solicitors and barristers, even when you know you are right, also another important point, have you let the court know your income and expenditure, if not send this straight away to them, this will prove you are not a millionaire like the other defendants, and explain also even the cost to go has been hard for you to find the monies, if you do this, they will plainly see you could not afford to pay these libel costs, i have been a litigant in person for someone else, and when they have a barrister of the 7th bar, would never do it that way again. i do hope some of this helps. good luck totiesquoties.

totiesquoties

Below is one very good summary of the case so far. The Claimant has been winging on about web sites mentioning these proceedings which is not on as he was refused any kind of 'gagging order'. People are free to support the defendant and state the facts without fear of further litigation . IMO the claimant is nuttier than Squirrel Nutkin's Winter nut stash and that is nutty!

http://www.ministryoftruth.me.uk/2011/07/12/shades-of-kaschke-christopher-mcgrath-aka-scrooby/

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

thanks vjohn82 for the nice comments,

any further help you need come back and post and we will try our best, as this is all so unfair. best totiesquoties.

totiesquoties

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone.

I'm not sure how the claimant is paying for the action, he could well be fee exempt. But I suspect that the court action is to either force Amazon and the other two Defendants to settle out of court (because of the prohibitive cost of libel defences) or to cause maximum disruption in retaliation for me "exposing" the pseudonym and the unethical business practices employed by the claimant and his publishers.

Amazon and the other Defendants have really good lawyers...

I have confirmed with the firm helping me out that I will be able to conduct a large part of my case... but if it goes further I suspect, and they have intimated, that they will represent me pro bono. Hopefully this strike out action will end here and now. I wish I could reveal more... I really do... but I have to be careful what I reveal in a public forum.

The above comment was written not to "brag" or "promote" that I could be receiving free help with the case BUT to stop people from sending thousands and thousands of pounds for legal costs I have no intention of running up.

I didn't want people thinking that I was going to accept very large donations to pay for legal costs that will never exist... I was just looking for some assistance with the travel and hotel bill... London aint cheap!

All the best, I owe you more than the small donation made.

Thank you!

Donation sent . Good luck Vjohn

Thanks!

thanks vjohn82 for the nice comments,

any further help you need come back and post and we will try our best, as this is all so unfair. best totiesquoties.

#

Will do!

Lets hope that good sense prevails.

On a lighter note - do you think the other party will accept token payments of £1.00 per week, shouldn't take too long that way :razz:

Chin up - these things come to try us

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.